Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scripts and writers with the best poetic and evocative writing

I'm having trouble writing snappy, yet poetic and evocative descriptions. What reading would you recommend?

I'm looking for writers that have poetic, yet snappy descriptions, that build atmosphere.
    Last edited by tuukka; 06-08-2021, 03:37 AM.

Beasts of the Southern Wild

Comment

Thank you! that had some powerful, descriptive writing.
      Any other suggestions?

Comment

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri is a good read for that. The script pulls you right in. The TV pilot for the show Fargo (1st season) is a great read. It's one I read for pleasure over and over again.

Shut In by Melanie Toast has not been made yet, the script is awesome at depicting rural America in a quick, efficient manner.

Agree with the other poster about Beasts. It's one of the most 'evocative' movies I've ever seen. I haven't read the script, but it must be there on the page.
        Last edited by lostfootage; 06-11-2021, 07:48 AM. Reason: Added a comment at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by tuukka View Post
          I'm looking for writers that have poetic, yet snappy descriptions, that build atmosphere.
          If you haven't read it, try Casablanca Casa.PDF (godamongdirectors.com) Written in the old days, Draws you in emotionally. Doesn't waste words and is poetic.

Comment

Originally posted by tuukka View Post
            I'm having trouble writing snappy, yet poetic and evocative descriptions. What reading would you recommend?

Here are three films that come to mind: Kundun (1997); Amélie (2001); and Casablanca (1942).
            Last edited by Clint Hill; 07-06-2021, 07:06 AM.
            “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Nightcrawler script. One of my favorite examples of atmospheric writing, the city is a character in that script.

Comment

Nightcrawler is a fantastic film/script. But I wouldn't term it poetic. Poetic to me is -- Goddard's ALPHAVILLE; Cocteau's BEAUTY AND THE BEAST; LES ENFANTS DU PARADISE.

Comment

Zahler...

Comment

Working...
                  X