Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billy Karate

If you are not availing yourself of the opportunity to read the spec BILLY KARATE by one Robert Brockway, you are really missing out.

You can find him on Twitter, and links to download his hilarious spec. No I don't know the guy at all; I just stumbled upon it, but it is FUNNY.

He is doing exactly thing that Malcolm Spellman did with BALLS OUT and putting his ridiculous over-the-top comedy script out there for all to see, an apparently it's paying off. He reports he's now repped.

I was very excited to see that, I only read 10 pages, but I enjoyed the hell out of it. As a comedy guy, I really thought they stopped making these kinds of movies (in general) so it's funny how of course what you keep hearing turns out to be false. Just another reason that no one knows anything.

I didn't see how he marketed it, I heard about it from another writer who helped show it to people around town... either way, always happy when a comedy writer lands a rep.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
      As a comedy guy, I really thought they stopped making these kinds of movies (in general) so it's funny how of course what you keep hearing turns out to be false. Just another reason that no one knows anything.
      Are they making it, or is the rep going to use it as a sample to get other work?

Comment

Bono, you coward! How dare you not walk into my trap and answer me?!

I think this script is an example of something some genius said on this site not long ago: "I maintain that new writers should treat spec scripts as sample scripts - meant to generate other work. [...] don't worry about anything except an impressive script, since it's selling your ability, not the movie."

Kudos for this guy to get the community buzzing around a (probably) unproduceable spec.

(Maybe someone tries to shoot it ultra low budget like The Foot Fist Way, but I bet that the writer will have a lot of opportunities to pitch on other projects before that.)

Comment

Sorry, Jeff. I was too busy writing my own version of this spec called Sally Self Defense.

Comment

More seriously, I was driving around listening to a song from my high school days and college having flashbacks to the old me and trying to remember what that 16 to 22 year old wanted to see up on screen. Because sometimes I feel the 44 year old version has too many voices in his head and I keep trying to remember that the best success will always be writing the movie I want to see.

And I always write movies I want to see, but that's not the same as writing from my heart and not my screenwriting business mind which is helpful and sometimes gets in my way. Am I picking or writing my favorite idea or just picking one that I think "may sell" or "please others" or writing a version of the idea that will "appeal to reps the most." Vs. just writing what turns me on. Gross I know.

I've argued both sides on this board for sure. Mostly the other side because I feel bad writers are the ones with full confidence and no ability to learn how to get better. How to learn that 10-20% But another form of bad writing is when good writers stop trusting their own gut the most and listen too much to outside voices.

My guess is the writer of Todd Karake didn't ask "should I write this?" to many or any people, but instead he wrote it and asked "So what do you think?"

Anyway, let's fight about this for the next 3-5 pages. Thank you.

Comment

You argued both sides. How can I fight with you? Very disappointing.

Comment

Just fight with me or offer up a story or give us something to discuss in this wasteland of a forum lately...

Comment

You guys should have a karate battle to decide the matter once and for all.

Comment

Just fight with me or offer up a story or give us something to discuss in this wasteland of a forum lately...
                    You've rejected three WORLD CLASS STORIES that I pitched you. The story machine is closed.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post

You've rejected three WORLD CLASS STORIES that I pitched you. The story machine is closed.
                      It's 3? One of them I'm still considering stealing, but I wrote 30 pages of one of my dumb takes. The other one I found less funny than my bad take but also I'm not focused on that idea, so 6 months from now I might be writing it and gong Jeff was right for once (I mean again). The 3rd, escapes me at this exact moment, but I'm sure you are right about all three.

But this is a good topic -- because often I think I have a better take than another writer friend -- and they do the same with me -- but it does also come down to what take that I can write the best. Or you. Or any writer.

Sometimes, I can objectively say, that take is a better take, I'm going that way. And sometimes, it just feels different, but not better to me. Because if I don't find it funny as you, then I'm never going to write it as well.

There is something to knowing what turns you on as a writer and often I forget that. And Billy Karate made me remember.
                      Last edited by Bono; 06-13-2022, 10:39 AM.

Comment

But this is a good topic -- because often I think I have a better take than another writer friend -- and they do the same with me -- but it does also come down to what take that I can write the best. Or you. Or any writer.
                        Yeah - it comes down to what you connect with. Not to get into a theme discussion, but I think great themes are struggles that resonate with the writer.

There is something to knowing what turns you on as a writer and often I forget that. And Billy Karate make me remember.
                        Billy Karate is just such a pure example of voice. And voice is what gets ironed out when people are trying to ape conventional stories and apply templates from books.

Comment

Here's a link to the script... Billy Karate

Very fun read.

Comment

Here is a whole thread I forgot existed about it.

Comment

Read it. Today. In one sitting. Then tell us if the outcome is to write more or jump off a bridge.
                              M.A.G.A.

Comment

Working...
                              X