Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John August's THE NINES screenplay

John August's THE NINES screenplay from his recent movie (in shooting script format) as a PDF, is available to download from his blog site after recently being uploaded.

http://johnaugust.com/downloads_ripl...ines_final.pdf
    Last edited by Kevan; 10-12-2007, 03:09 PM. Reason: typo ****enhousen!

Re: John August's THE NINES screenplay

Awesome!
    -- Another Writer

Comment

a very stange script...

Comment

I know I'm not worthy to critique a comma compared to John August's fabulous career, but am I the only one who wasn't blown away by the story?

I know it was a great script, but the underlying story seemed a real non-story.

Mac

*** SPOILERS AHEAD (highlight to read) ***

Basically the story was like 'The Matrix'.
        Without the cool 'bullet time' special affects.
        Without the cool Kung-Fu.
        Without a hero the audience was cheering for.
        Without any real 'bad guys'.
        Without anything at stake.
        People just wandered around, got told some odd things then at the end the main character was told how life was just a virtual world.

No character ever had a point of "I need to do XXX to stop YYY from happening."
        The closest moment to that was the scene where our hero ... wait for it ....

... has to walk back to town to get a mechanic for his broken down car!

That's it! Did anyone else have that reaction?

(Disclaimer: Yes, I know at the very end the audience was told that something minor was being risked. But it wasn't the fate of the world hanging in the balance - or even the fate of a hero that was trying to save others. And surely it doesn't count if the audience doesn't KNOW there is something at stake!

If he had done nothing, then he would have gone on with his life and there would have been no changes at all.)

*** SPOILERS OVER (highlight to read) ***
        New blogposts:
        *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
        *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
        *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
        *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

Reviving a very old thread -I love John August, but feel The Nines really needed to be more than it was -what a cool setup!
          (spoiler alert)
          Am I missing something though? Is it really just a video games multiple character thing ? At the end I felt just like the blond lady 'is that all there is' (perhaps he knew the story line wasn't going anywhere and put that song in as a hint?)... It was the same feeling we get from watching lost all the way through -really cool setup, but then out ends in what feels like a cop out, no? Like we knew that to begin with, but you promised us more with all the setup. Am I wrong? Did I miss it? Thank you!

(and I apologize if this seems to dismissive)
          www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
          http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

Sounds like you missed it. I adore the film, find it a very powerful experience. It always makes me want to stop and smell the flowers.

Comment

Originally posted by stainjm View Post
              Reviving a very old thread -I love John August, but feel The Nines really needed to be more than it was -what a cool setup!
              (spoiler alert)
              Am I missing something though? Is it really just a video games multiple character thing ? At the end I felt just like the blond lady 'is that all there is' (perhaps he knew the story line wasn't going anywhere and put that song in as a hint?)... It was the same feeling we get from watching lost all the way through -really cool setup, but then out ends in what feels like a cop out, no? Like we knew that to begin with, but you promised us more with all the setup. Am I wrong? Did I miss it? Thank you!

(and I apologize if this seems to dismissive)
              They were Gods. There was a video game metaphor used as John August himself got a bit addicted to video games, but the story was that the main character was a God.
              what the head makes cloudy the heart makes very clear

Comment

Yeah, I got that after sleeping over it - like he was a god that made different worlds and put himself in there/ wiped his memory to make it more enjoyable?

Still...
                www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
                http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

Working...
                X