Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth Reading (Thriller)

So with trade lists getting so damn long these days (a nice problem to have) I thought it might be an idea to open it up a little with a list of those tough to find scripts that are really worth a read.

Thriller is my genre, thus what I read most, so I figured I'd lead with that. Feel free to weigh in, disagree entirely, call me a tasteless hack, start your own genre thread, but if you're adding to the list try to include as many details as possible (a makeshift logline at least).

And so, for the first 'thriller worth reading' script of the thread:

SOLO

Written by: David Coggeshall

Marooned on an 'uninhabited' Maine island as part of a skill-building exercise, a troubled teen struggles for his life when he gains the affections of an alluring young girl intent on keeping him on the island and away from her deranged mother at any cost.

Status: Spec. May 2008. Sold to Gold Circle. Representation: Harley Copen (ICM) & Noah Rosen (Circle Of Confusion).

[ info taken from www.trackingb.com ]

Not perfect but a very good read, the Misery meets Disturbia comparison is oddly apt. Kind of Misery for the Disturbia crowd. It's very Stephen King in tone and with some solid casting for the girl's part it could be damn creepy.

If you're writing a limited location/limited cast thriller, this is one for you. It's inventive, entertaining, and, despite the limits placed on it, never feels small.
    Last edited by -XL-; 01-09-2011, 06:40 PM.
    twitter.com/leespatterson

Re: Worth Reading (Thriller)

I like this idea.
    Sent from my iPhone. Because I'm better than you.

Comment

I read Dubai a few weeks ago--it was better than average. I'd call it an action-thriller (but casting and a director can change things around and make it something slightly different like Romantic Action or Comedy-Action-Thriller or whatever.)

I don't have the original logline, but my brief description:

DUBAI

An American hedge fund manager working for the Emir of Dubai gets caught up in a world-wide plot to cripple the US economy by a coordinated attack on the currency and other terrorism. Also, the guy must--of course--rescue his hot wife from the terrorists and save his marriage.

I don't know the script status or anything--I'm just trying to help get the thread going. PM for Dubai trade if you want it.

R.O.T.

Comment

Good call, Roger. I liked DUBAI a lot and agree with a poster from another thread that it was a setting ripe for a movie of this sort.

Extra info:

Written by: Adam Cozad
        Spec. Sold to Paramount. June 2007.
        Representation: Jeff Gorin & Aaron Hart (WMA) & Foursight Management
        twitter.com/leespatterson

Comment

I'll give Solo a read. I like contained thrillers, and seeing my current script takes place around what is, a mainly a contained area of Washington state, this might loosen up some ideas or parallels for me.

Thanks for the reminder.

Yes, I liked Dubai also. And considering Adam Cozad never even stepped foot on Arab soil (well, at least while writing the script) his extensive research of the place served him well.

Off topic -- I've been there very briefly, and it's true what Cozad wrote - it makes Las Vegas look like a shanty-town. I've never seen a place like it. Building cranes everywhere, and they never stop. Construction goes around the clock, 24/7/365. It's astounding. Great food, great shopping and a city so futuristic and modern, it's almost like something out of a sci-fi novel, dropped into the middle of a desert. Yet as Western as it is, it's also an Arab nation, so there are certain Islamic laws that western tourists must adhere to. Nothing too drastic, but try getting a beer when prayer time is on - you won't, it's illegal. That's not to say you'll be beheaded in the town square if you were to drink one publicly, but no one sells it in the first place.

If any of you plan on travelling somewhere exotic, this is the place. It's totally safe and modern too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:D...tr_workers.jpg
          http://www.dubaicity.com/dubai-wonders/index.htm

Ok, back on topic - I really hope this gets made, and doesn't sit on the shelf for too long. I could really see this as a role for Damon or someone who does these kind of high-concept thrillers.

Here's a couple of other thriller scripts you might also want to check out. These are either floating around online or available through our swap/trade network here.

A Willing Patriot
          The Surface
          Whiteout
          Body of Lies
          Slay The Dreamer
          Without Remorse
          Cold City

I found these to be enjoyable. Check 'em out.
          @TerranceMulloy

Comment

The only script off that list that I have is Body of Lies.
            Sent from my iPhone. Because I'm better than you.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post

Here's a couple of other thriller scripts you might also want to check out. These are either floating around online or available through our swap/trade network here.

A Willing Patriot
              The Surface
              Whiteout
              Body of Lies
              Slay The Dreamer
              Without Remorse
              Cold City

I found these to be enjoyable. Check 'em out.

What's Cold City about?

Comment

COLD CITY by David James Kelly

“During the Charles Manson frenzy of 1969, an ex-cop must overcome his
                demons when he’s hired to help protect a young girl and sole witness to
                Legion Gringo, a murderer who has been brutally slaughtering
                prostitutes in LA.”

AGENT: International Creative Management - Harley Copen,
                Todd Hoffman
                MANAGER: The Firm - Jennifer Davisson
                AVAILABLE. Terra Firma Films producing.
                @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Ah, gracias, T.

Sounds spooky.

Comment

I'd love to read "Solo" and "Dubai", if anyone might be generous enough to share. I'm new around here so if such requests are frowned upon, many apologies. I have only a very small list to offer for trade, made up of titles I'd imagine everyone already has, but they say it never hurts to ask...

EDIT: Got 'em, thanks!
                    Last edited by GoJoe; 07-10-2008, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Could someone so kindly send me a copy of Dubai?
                      I'd love to read this.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X