Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Script REVIEW Thread

Maybe we should have an official Done Deal script review thread. Somewhere to sound-off on the latest spec or production script.

Was it a sheer masterpiece, average tripe or utter garbage?

Go for it!
    @TerranceMulloy

Re: Official Script REVIEW Thread

Couple of scripts that I read the last weeks

This side of truth:
    Very funny because it's so original idea. Dialogue very good. The only thing that I dislike was the executing of the love interest. It didn't feel right because I was worked out minimal.

Hot for teacher:
    Simple, unoriginal, I thought it's was very poor executed. All the characters were bland, especially the hot teacher and her boyfriend.
    Last edited by Blackmagic; 06-20-2008, 02:40 AM.

Comment

I thought Hot For Teacher was hilarious. It was just as warm as Superbad but much more funny. Oftentimes you read comedies, you smile here and there, figure some things can produce a laugh if well executed... But with HFT that smile erupted in laughter all the time.
      I would definitely recommend reading it. It's easy to see why it sold and not just because these flicks are in high demand at the moment.

Minor spoiler alert, I guess:
      The opening cracked me up. Maybe I'm immature...
      But I found these two moments especially amusing: The father interrupting him during his private moment and the doctor pointing out to Drew, he must've missed the class where they told him masturbation is something to be ashamed of.

Comment

Apparently Iron Jack is a real side-splitter. Very funny and it takes a nice jab at the golden years of Hollywood too. Got this on my pile of "to reads."

IRON JACK
        Representation: George Heller (Principato-Young) & Mark Ross (Paradigm)
        Written by: Johnny Rosenthal
        In the vein of PIERRE, PIERRE. Sacha Baron Cohen attached to star. Todd Garner attached to produce.

I'm still at work, so I'll try and add some reviews over the weekend.
        @TerranceMulloy

Comment

I recently read PERMISSION, which sold for a mil to CBS Films. So for a mil, my expectations were very high. It's not that PERMISSION wasn't a good read, I was just expecting something more grand and bigger in scale than the story that was told. That said it had some nice twist and turns and it keeps you guessing. But overall, I couldn't help it felt very much like a TV Movie.

EJ
          Last edited by EJ Pennypacker; 06-20-2008, 06:40 AM.

Comment

I Love You, Beth Cooper

by Larry Doyle who also wrote the novel of the same name.

Director
            Chris Columbus
            Genre: Comedy
            Plot:
            A nerdy valedictorian proclaims his love for the hottest and most popular girl in school
            - Beth Cooper - during his graduation speech. Much to his surprise, Beth shows up at his door that very night and decides to show him the best night of his life.

A good read, in the tradition of American Pie and Risky Business and the other various teen anthems over the years: ye olde nerd meets princess. The film could be done as R rated or easily toned down for a PG listing.

I thought the ending needed to be happier or funnier...both would be nice, but at least one or the other. Our two lead characters needed a little better bonding so they could become more sympathetic to each other's situation.

There are some stereotypical characters, but there is nothing wrong with that in this type of script as the audience changes every couple of years through that dreaded aging and growing up process.

It's scheduled for a 2009 release.

R.O.T.

Comment

Great thread Terrance and thanks to all for the reviews. I'm always curious what other writers think of other writers' work.

Comment

I don't have the original logline, but my brief description:

DUBAI

by Adam Cozad

An American hedge fund manager working for the Emir of Dubai gets caught up in a world-wide plot to cripple the US economy by a coordinated attack on the currency and other terrorism. Also, the guy must--of course--rescue his hot wife from the terrorists and save his marriage.

I read DUBAI a few weeks ago--it was better than average. I'd call it an action-thriller (but casting and a director can change things around and make it something slightly different like Romantic Action or Comedy-Action-Thriller or whatever.)

Lots of action, but potentially expensive to film, it would need an A-lister to open it IMO. The side-kick's motivations are unlcear until late in the story and perhaps that revelation should be moved forward a bit. Characters are good for this Die Hard in Dubai story.

R.O.T.

Last edited by RogerOThornhill; 06-20-2008, 10:21 AM.

Comment

never let me go by alex garland

it was an interesting topic and premise, but read very slow. I never really felt anything for the characters, and ultimately wished that I had learned more about their development and existence. 7/10

Pan by Ben Magid

A new take on the Peter Pan fairy tale that ends up as a paint by numbers crime thriller. Entirely unoriginal, and void of anything new. I would skip this entirely. 4/10 (but only because the concept of Pan as a bad guy makes you want to take a look)
                  Script List

Comment

DUPLICITY

Tony Gilroy (written by)

Release Date:

20 March 2009 (USA) more
                    Genre:

Thriller
                    Plot:

A pair of corporate spies (Clive Owen and Julia Roberts) who share a steamy past hook up to pull off the ultimate con job on their respective bosses.

It's been several months since I read Duplicity. It was good solid material, but not an out of the park homerun. Expectations of this particular writer are usually high and I was expecting a little more given they hype and track-record.

The characters were rounded out nicely and generally interesting. I thought the plot wandered through some mediocre sequences. Despite some nice duplicic reveals in the ending, I wasn't fully satisified with it. perhaps Gilroy can make some minor adjustments as it is filmed.

Putting aside the hype, it is well done and I give it about 7.5/10. The March 20 release date indicates it is not classified as blockbuster, however $100 million is not out of the question given that audiences are starved for quality at that time of year and usually at least one film breaks out of the pack to $100+

R.O.T.

Comment

DUBAI was bought for Eric Bana, which I think is a good fit. I would guess that the whole thing hinges on where they're able to shoot, though. The location is such a huge part of the script, and I don't know if they could shoot in Dubai, or find a stand-in. (Not Vancouver.)

Comment

Drag me to hell

Not very good. The characters are one-dimensional, the plot is thin, and sub plots were barely even mentioned. Besides a few nice scenes, the script was predictable and disappointing. 5/10
                        Script List

Comment

Originally posted by corduroy View Post
                          the whole thing hinges on where they're able to shoot, though. The location is such a huge part of the script, and I don't know if they could shoot in Dubai, or find a stand-in. (Not Vancouver.)
                          Chances are they could easily shoot in Dubai (budget willing, of course)

Syriana, Kingdom and a host of other films have been shot there over the last few years. Plus, I'm assuming US productions get good value for money, considering there's no taxes in the country. And it's one of the few Arab nations left where westerners can feel safe.
                          @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Has anyone here read the script for "Knowing"? The film that Alex Proyas is directing with Nic Cage? And if you have, is it pretty good? Original? Were you please with the overall movie/ending?
                            We Are Legion.

Comment

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

Stand in for Dubai? The Kingdom shot there, apparently.

Comment

Working...
                              X