No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Single Writer Have You Learned From The Most

and why?
    "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
    - Screenwriting Friend

Re: What Single Writer Have You Learned From The Most

I'll go a step further and name three who have influenced me, and still do...

Tony Gilroy --
    Every word is savored. Every sentence is exciting. Every chunk of dialogue is purposeful. A master wordsmith. Duplicity and Bourne Supremecy are the last two I've read from him, and they're both amazing scripts.

Joe Carnahan --
    Always tight and punchy writing. Narc is an all time favorite. Also reading his most recent script "Pride and Glory", which is just a brilliant peice of screenwriting. This guy really writes bad cop stories, good.

James Simpson --
    Clean, vivid and precise writing - yet each description is still filled with enough depth to draw you in. Every beat hits the spot. Armored, in my opinion, should be a template for any new writer wanting to grasp the "how to" on writing a commercially viable spec.

Other screenwriters I enjoy reading -- although they probably inspire me less then the above.

David Keopp (not recently though)
    James Cameron
    Steven Zaillian
    Stuart Beattie
    Scott Rosenberg
    David S Goyer
    Ken Nolan
    Michael Mann
    Chris Landon
    Guy Ritchie
    Alex Garland
    Jon Hoeber & Erich Hoeber

Comic writers --

Robert Kirkman
    Steve Niles
    Warren Ellis
    Brian Azzarello
    The Luna Brothers
    Brian K Vaughan
    Last edited by Terrance Mulloy; 08-10-2008, 02:26 AM.
    @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Not a screenwriter, the writer I've learned the most from is the novelist Chuck Palahniuk. He writes his novels with so many layers and such subtle but constant detailing that it's just... indescribable... and subversive to convention and expectations to say the least. The established screenwriters have taught me but Palahniuk really has INSPIRED me. In every sense of the word.
      The end is too damn nigh.

Comment

Ronald D. Moore probably, his BSG podcasts gave me a regular insight into the process. As has his web-posts when he was writing DS9. David Simon off The Wire comes a close second.

But again there are a lot of other writers that reading and listening to the interviews have really given a great insight into the process. Like Stephen Gaghan, who gave a great interview about the dangers of oversimplifying the process. Other writers I love are Hilary Seitz, Drew Goddard, Stuart Beattie, Jonah Nolan, Scott Frank, Andrew Kevin Walker and Damon Lindelof.
        Scripts to trade

http://heartattackclubscripts.blogspot.com/

Comment

William Wheeler (The Hoax) here on Done Deal

His meditations over time especially a suggestion to
          (paraphrasing) "write from your dark side"
          myhomeconvalesceblog

Comment

instructionally, Bill Martell -- his little blue book of Action Screenwriting says it all, plus his daily tips n tricks and overall professional advice

lately as far as reading material, Tony Gilroy for the concise way he lays it on the page with no bones or filler crap -- it just is what it is
            "you have to write right, right?" -- Todd Gordon

Comment

William Goldman. I think his book Adventures in the Screen Trade should be required reading for anybody who wants to write for Hollywood. Or even if you hate Hollywood and want to have nothing to do with the movies, read it anyway, because it's a terrific book. And so is the sequel, Which Lie Did I Tell. I love how brutally honest he is about Hollywood, problems with stars, how nobody knows anything, the necessity of good structure in screenplay writing, getting stars in early, reality time vs. movie time, etc. Even though the former book is somewhat dated, it's still an extremely insightful look into the mindset of modern filmmaking.

I also love how Goldman is willing to discuss his own mistakes and flops, like "Year of the Comet." Many writers don't even want to admit that they make mistakes at all, but Goldman lays it all out and lets you learn from it. Not to mention that reading the prose in his scripts is very entertaining, even if you haven't seen the movies they're based on.
              SCRIPT LIST available at: http://www.freewebs.com/stapleton35/

Comment

Andrew Niccol.

Comment

Originally posted by Allniter View Post
                  Andrew Niccol.
                  the original question was "and why?" so I am curious out of all the screenwriters, you would pick him when he has a relatively small body of work
                  "you have to write right, right?" -- Todd Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by Moviequill View Post
                    the original question was "and why?" so I am curious out of all the screenwriters, you would pick him when he has a relatively small body of work
                    Oops! Sorry.

Don't we all try to find a successful someone who has a similar style when we first start writing? I had seen Simone, which I thought had a similar comedic/dramatic balance as the script I was outlining. The movie was good, but the script was great. Particularly the dialogue, which is heavy on interruption, unfinished thoughts and out-of-context replies. I hadn't even noticed it in the movie.

Comment

James V Simpson aka Deus Ex Machina. Followed by Brandt and Haas.

Comment

Alan Moore.

Not because one story in particular, but because by reading his work, I learned how to think about what I'm writing, and in my humble opinion, it sure made me write stories with better quality.

And, pardon my ignorance, but I've seen that James Simpson is cited twice in these thread. I've never read any of his work. Does anyone have a sample of it so I could take a peak? Drop me a message if possible.

Cheers to all.

Comment

Neil Simon, Billy Wilder, the Coen brothers, and Alan Bennett.

The first two for simple elegance, and the last two for originality and complexity.

Look at this. You're the only man in the world with clenched hair. -- Oscar Madison
                          Last edited by suzeaa; 08-15-2008, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X