Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiasco Heights - Review

What do you get when you mix Sin City and Dick Tracy, then add a splash of Grand Theft Auto? Fiasco Heights. Read this script today and I have to say, this is a really good *script*. I don't know if it's necessarily a good movie. But it's good script. It's rare that I read something and really envy the writing. It happens here and there (usually moreso in novels) but it doesn't happen that much. Now what barely ever happens is that I read something and am actually jealous of the writing. Like, "Wow, how does he do this" kind of thing. I don't think I've ever read anything as descriptive as Fiasco Heights. I could completely picture every bullet flying. It was quite spectacular in that sense.

My favorite moment is during a car chase where our heroes are in a pink Cadillac, in pursuit of a car ahead, having to deal with humongous concrete pipes rolling across the highway, and just when it looks like they're going to crash into one, they actually go through it, as it's rolling, flip around 360 degrees, then drive out the other side one lane over. I mean how the f*ck do you think of this stuff?

Unfortunately, this script could easily take the route of "Shootem Up", which I thought was a terrible movie and terribly written, and come off as cheesy. The tone is so specific here that if you don't get it just right, everything will come tumbling down. I don't see how some top flight director wouldn't want to take this on though. It's so cinematic. Like something Quentin Tarantino would do if he was infused with the blood of Ridley Scott and Spike Jones. There's so much possibility here.

Very impressed.
    Script Reviews - 5 a week! http://scriptshadow.blogspot.com/

Re: Fiasco Heights - Review

I agree, it was good. Very cinematic. It kind of echoed the hard-boiled crime stories of the 40's and 50's - but still had the whole Sin City thing going on too. But his twist on it was very original. I knew from the first page it was going to be a great ride.

I've got the second draft of Fiasco Heights - or the rewrite, but Kyle really toned it down on that one. Just read more like a shooting script.

His draft of Kane and Lynch was also pretty darn good. He's really got the knack for action, and I love his vivid character descriptions.
    @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Kyle's voice is one of the most unique I've read in a while but also frustrating because it gets in the way of the story. The descriptions are too heavy and cumbersome.
      Every few minutes there's an action sequence, but most of them didn't reveal much character. They are just action scenes, technically brilliant but no heart. It also suffers from QT syndrome: every character talks the same.

The beginning of the script is brilliant, a stroke of genius but a real shame that the "Vaudeville villains" are so underused. Infact, we have an abundance of bad guys. I love the Catholics being a crime syndicate. Then we have the Chinese hookers. But nothing beats the Vaudeville guys.

Despite my reservations, I still recommend reading this -- for the technical execution. This kid's got a lot of talent.
      "What's worse than being talked about? Not being talked about."

Comment

"My favorite moment is during a car chase where our heroes are in a pink Cadillac, in pursuit of a car ahead, having to deal with humongous concrete pipes rolling across the highway, and just when it looks like they're going to crash into one, they actually go through it, as it's rolling, flip around 360 degrees, then drive out the other side one lane over. I mean how the f*ck do you think of this stuff?"

That's the best scene, but overall the script is way overwritten. And the faux '20's/'30's dialogue begins to wear on you.

Struggling through it - has some style - but also cumbersome. Brings up IRON JACK because of the period homage - and IRON JACK was FAR better.

But that highway scene - though a bit illogical - was fun.

Curious - it has so many typos even I noticed.

But not to down the guy - great it sold.

Comment

i think it'd be fun for DD to part out this script -- take it apart, isolate specific specific action lines and dialogue, and see what people thought were highs and lows.

might be a good learning experiment.

anyone game?

Comment

I'm down. Who's qualified to start?
            Aaaa! Gobble gobble gobble gobble!

Comment

jack, start with the first 10 pages, if that's cool.

PART OUT specific lines of both dialogue and action that are impressive.

and pull out some that are duds.

any good scene setups, plants and payoffs, or anything else in your 10 pages that stands out, good or bad.

I'll take pages 11-20

and we'll parcel out the rest in 10-page increments. You can get another 10-page slot, too. (Don't know if we'll have a dozen people get involved.)

meet back here on MONDAY, start a new thread DISSECTION of FIASCO HEIGHTS and we'll PM you our pages to you and you can make a post and then we can analyze and discuss.

sounds like a plan?

Jack, you're okay with the fearless leader role, yeah?

who else is down?

Comment

So, a few observations before going into 10 pages of analysis...

I found this script aggravating as all hell. The cryptic noir-eqsue dialogue (which wasn't always all that clever, might I add) didn't work for me. I kept asking myself "Why does Rian Johnson (Brick) get away with it and not Ward"? Well, it's all the ridiculous references he packs into the script ("She's right. No one says tootse nowadays. Unless it's raining Maltese Falcons in Chinatown"). It was like listening to Ward pat himself on the back every thirty seconds.

So now I'm conflicted, because as Carson pointed out, the description is wicked good. Some things bothered me quite a bit (like the Mr. Clean and his black Hearst that materializes out of nowhere on page 85, and the Chinese accents written into the dialogue phonetically), but all in all it was eye candy, pure and simple.

So does the script deserve praise or condemnation? I'm still debating.
                Aaaa! Gobble gobble gobble gobble!

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_Culver View Post
                  So does the script deserve praise or condemnation? I'm still debating
                  It sold for mad bank. So I'd say - yes.
                  @TerranceMulloy

Comment

could someone pass me along a copy of the script? this thread makes me want to read it.

Comment

LIMAMA's Media Fire account
                      http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=5...a39ce5bd69a7b4

Fiasco Heights
                      http://www.mediafire.com/?nyaymzwdnnj

Comment

Working...
                      X