Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roger Avary charged with Manslaughter

An Oscar-winning screenwriter of "Pulp Fiction" has pleaded not guilty to vehicular manslaughter and driving under the influence of alcohol in a fatal January crash.Roger Avary of Ojai was arraigned Friday in a court in Ventura.
    Authorities say Avary's car hit a telephone pole in Ojai on Jan. 13. The crash injured his wife and killed passenger Andreas Zini, who was visiting from Italy.
    The 43-year-old Avary has apologized for the accident. His lawyer has said the writer was grief-stricken over the death.
    Avary and director Quentin Tarantino won the 1995 Academy Award for writing the screenplay of "Pulp Fiction."
    I read to the first typo

-Hollywood agent

Re: Roger Avary charged with Manslaughter

I've got no sympathy with idiots who get pissed up and jump in their cars and kill people however many Oscars they've won, screenplays written, films directed etc.

Don't these people know that such a thing as a taxi exists ?

Idiot.

My thoughts are with the poor bloke he killed by his reckless actions.
    Nick
    [email protected]

My trading list:
    http://elston3232.blogspot.com/

Comment

In L.A. drink driving is as common as bacon and eggs.
      "What's worse than being talked about? Not being talked about."

Comment

I doubt many of us Americans on here are going to run to the defense of Los Angeles on...anything, lol. But I don't think it's a bigger problem in LA than anywhere else, just seems that way if you go by 'celebrity news'. I agree that Avary has to pay for his terrible mistake. It wasn't a stranger he killed. He ran into a telphone pole, throwing his wife from the car and killing the man in the back seat, the couple's friend visiting from Italy. So I'm sure he feels every bit of this tragedy.

If you want to read about the freakiest screenwriter-related car accident, read this - it's long but absolutely jawdropping:
        http://www.laweekly.com/2006-01-12/news/death-race-2000/1

And not a drop of alcohol involved.

EDIT: I was wrong, a man not a woman.
        Last edited by benskelly; 12-15-2008, 10:54 AM.

Comment

My thoughts are with the poor bloke he killed by his reckless actions.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know get some of the hi and mighty behavoir in some cases like this. The dead guy isnt some innocent victim here. He was just as reckless.

the dead guy knew he had been drinking and got in the car with him. He's just as culpable, maybe even more so as he made the decision to get in the car and was not forced to.

For me personally, if I was drinking with a buddy and got in the car knowing he was drunk and was killed while he was driving the last thing I'd want is for him to get sent to prison.

Im an adult and made the decision to get in the car--I'm responsible for my actions, nobody else. If I made a decsion to something which I knew could result in my death--that's on me. I wouldnt be an innocent victim.

This guy was an adult--all adults know the dangers of drinking and driving and he chose to ignore them. It kind reminds me when people want drug dealers charged with murder when a client OD's--ahhh duh--everyone knows drugs can kill--you do drugs you run the risk of OD--its your own fault--even if you get sold bad ****--that's a part of the reality of drug use and a known quanity.

Comment

I agree that the "victim" is responsible. While it's possible he wasn't aware of exactly how drunk Avary was, it was a dumb idea to ride along. Having said that, I don't agree with your opinion that your buddy shouldn't have to go to prison. I have no sympathy for any drunk driver proven guilty in a manslaughter case. Zero.

Roger should be put away for some time. It's not only about the passenger. It's about the other people he could've killed as well.
            "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
            -Maya Angelou

Comment

I disagree with both of you. It's not the victim's fault. He might have asked Avary if he was "alright to drive" - the question is asked thousands of times every night - and Avary said, yeah sure. Even if he did suspect maybe he didn't want to make a scene. Again, this happens thousands of times a night all over the country and the world. I don't think he deserved to die (Jesus), just because he trusted his friend.

It's the driver's responsibility and his alone. He is the only one who knows how impaired he is and some can disguise their drunkenness very well.

Comment

Originally posted by benskelly View Post
                I disagree with both of you. It's not the victim's fault. He might have asked Avary if he was "alright to drive" - the question is asked thousands of times every night - and Avary said, yeah sure. Even if he did suspect maybe he didn't want to make a scene. Again, this happens thousands of times a night all over the country and the world. I don't think he deserved to die (Jesus), just because he trusted his friend.

It's the driver's responsibility and his alone. He is the only one who knows how impaired he is and some can disguise their drunkenness very well.
                I didnt say he deserved to die, but that a whole bunch of if's you got there and even if they were all true, it still doesnt make the dead man not responsible for his decisions.

If you put your life at risk cause "you dont want to make a scene"--then you're really stupid. Stupid decisions lead to easily preventable deaths. Wouldnt be the first time, wont be the last.

If avery was killed and this guy lived, he'd be getting all kinds of heat for letting him drive drunk. No doubt some prosecutor would be trying to charge him aiding and abetting.

I didnt say he shouldnt go to jail, just that I wouldnt want my friend to go jail if I were killed in this incident. He was my friend, him going to jail wouldnt bring me back and as an adult I knew the risks, weighed them and came out on the losing end. Just how I see it.

Comment

I understand not wanting your friend to go to jail for an accident, I think we can all agree with that, but I guess I don't understand your logic on the rest of it. It's seems ridiculously harsh and black-and-white to blame the passenger for getting into the car. None of us were there and we don't know how Avary was acting or if he showed his inebriation at all. The bottom line is nothing the passenger did or didn't do takes away from Avary's responsibility, period. Every car has one driver and it's up to him or her to know whether they can operate the vehicle. I've never in my life heard of a passenger prosecuted in a DUI case, maybe you can cite some cases. If the driver died, that would be the end of it.

Calling a dead man "stupid" definitely seems to imply he deserved his own death, and I don't see the point. Not everything is Darwinism and After-School Specials. McCauley Culkin's sister stepped off a sidewalk. Death's coming for all of us, stupid or not.

Here's an idea: Why not just have compassion for everyone involved and say it's a terrible, terrible tragedy?

Comment

Here's an idea: Why not just have compassion for everyone involved and say it's a terrible, terrible tragedy?
                    -------------------------------------

Whether I do that or say he died cause he made a stupid decision doesnt change the fact that neither of those things mean anything at all.

Will me saying it's a terrible tragedy bring him back?--No.

Will me saying he died because he made a stupid decision in any way change what happened or somehow make it worse?--No.

My compassion or lack of compassion is meaningless, so why would you care or ask someone to feel the way you do or say what you would say?

It's just not logical and frankly is a bit rude.

It's just numbers. It's not a tragedy--it's math. We live in a universive governed by physics and mathmatical probabilities. X amount of people are going to die in a car accident each day. He was part of X. None of them have to happen, but they do and will continue to until they build a deathproof car.

People are so irrational--44,000 Americans die in car accidents every year--that's all of vietnam in 15 months. All of US losses in Iraq in a month. I love how life is so precious when it's lost in some ways or some age, but not others when it gets in the way of personal convience or political agendas. Funny how that works. Human currency has an awfully low exchange rate when it comes to comfort.

Me saying it's a tragedy isnt going to stop car accidents. It's not going to make the loss easier fo his family--it's not gonna change or mean anything. Neither is your saying it's a tragedy, but I wouldnt say:

Here's an idea: Grow up and accept these things happen everyday.

Comment

Did I say these things don't happen every day?

No, compassion won't change anything - and it doesn't cost anything either. Wow. Whatever, dude. I no longer have any idea what you're railing at...the guy who died, cars, people who are bad at math?

Have a nice day.

Comment

Working...
                      X