Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back To The Future 2 & 3

This is something that I always wanted to find out but didn't have the magical assistance of Done Deal members to aid me in my quest. Any Back To the Future junkies like myself know that when deals were being signed for the two sequels, Crispin Glover held out, reportedly wanting everything that Michael J. Fox got (in my opinion, he deserved it. Although Fox was the star, George McFly was just as memorable in Back to The Future as Marty McFly). This, of course, was going on right up to the start of production. As we know, the studio laughed at his request, and Glover ultimately walked.

Now I know that, with the popularity and importance of that character, that he would've been heavily integrated into the two scripts. When he left, I can only assume that the scripts had to be massively rewritten to not include his character. Knowing how interdependent all the elements of the Back to the Future universe were, I can only imagine how this wreaked havoc on said scripts. This would make sense, of course, because BTTF 2 and 3 were all over the place storywise, and felt rushed, even by sequel standards. My assumption was always that it was because Glover dropped out and they had to write his character out of the story.

But I never knew for sure. Which is why I'm asking you guys. Was that the case? And if so, are there previous versions of the Back to The Future sequels that had George McFly in them? Do people have these versions of the script? If so, could you send them to me? I would love to read what Zemeckis originally had in mind.

I would also be interested to hear your opinions on whether you believe Crispin Glover was blacklisted after the sequels fiasco. Coming off that movie, I believe Glover was one of the most interesting young actors out there. Maybe even the most interesting. After essentially screwing over Hollywood royalty (Spielberg) by not signing onto the sequels, I find it oddly coincidental that we didn't see him in another major film for 20 years. Thoughts?
    Script Reviews - 5 a week! http://scriptshadow.blogspot.com/

Re: Back To The Future 2 & 3

I think it is highly possible, though I think the only place you may find a copy is at the WGA library. I've been meaning to go down there and read the "Riggs is dead" Lethal Weapon 2 script. If I make it down there this week, I'll look for the earlier copies of BTTF 2 & 3 and let you know if I find them.
    For more of my thoughts on screenwriting, check out my blog.
    Jonny Atlas Writes!

- Sic Semper Tyrannis.

Comment

Thanks Jonny.

I've really been trying to figure this out for years.

Comment

In the first draft of Part II, or Number Two as it's called on the title page, instead of going back to 1955, Marty and Doc have to go back to 1967. George is more involved in the story than he was in both sequels.

Comment

I also, just read somewhere that the time traveling vehical was first written as a refrigerator? The changed to the Delorian.

I hope that that is true...b/c it's just plain funny;P

Comment

Originally posted by Agentenchillada View Post
            I also, just read somewhere that the time traveling vehical was first written as a refrigerator? The changed to the Delorian.

I hope that that is true...b/c it's just plain funny;P
            It's true. That's a little trivia we learn from the bonus features on the trilogy DVD.

I would also be interested to hear your opinions on whether you believe Crispin Glover was blacklisted after the sequels fiasco. Coming off that movie, I believe Glover was one of the most interesting young actors out there. Maybe even the most interesting. After essentially screwing over Hollywood royalty (Spielberg) by not signing onto the sequels, I find it oddly coincidental that we didn't see him in another major film for 20 years. Thoughts?
            There's always going to be a steep price to pay for screwing with Spielberg. But refusing to be in the sequels wasn't the biggest issue that messed up Glover's career; it was the lawsuit he brought against Spielberg, Zemeckis, Bob Gale, and Universal Studios for using footage of him from the original film in BTTF II.

I think the case was ultimately settled out of court, but I can't imagine anyone was too eager to work with ol' Crispin after that. Plus, they guy has extremely bizarre taste in material. I can't imagine there would be a lot of scripts coming his way under the best of circumstances that he would have jumped at doing.

Comment

There was also a lot of stuff going on with him behind the scenes. He had a reputation as something of a lunatic and for being VERY hard to work with. His appearance on LETTERMAN where he attempted to roundhouse Dave in the head didn't help either, I'm guessing.

Comment

I don't think Crispin would have been cast as Grendal in Zemeckis' 'Beowulf' if he was difficult to work with. He's like most actors. They want to include their own ideas into the characters they portray.

He came up with an idea about how he thought George should wear shorts and look almost like a hippy in a way. Zemeckis didn't agree and that's obvious by George's preppy look at the end of the first movie.

They apparently low-balled him on an offer that he felt wasn't worth doing the sequels for. The other side said that he had ridiculous demands. I think the truth is probably somewhere in-between.

I'm sure the sequels would have been greatly improved had he been involved.

He's reported to have received around $760,000 from the lawsuit, which he obviously deserved. The actor who replaced him was told that he was only a "photo double" for Crispin by the casting director. He apparently didn't realize he was going to actually be George until a couple of days before the shoot.

He supposedly released a statement indicating this.

This is a crazy business.

Here's the statement on I found on IMDB:

A Message from Jeffrey Weissman

By jweissman on July 16, 2008 12:33 AM
                Hi everyone.

Jeffrey Weissman here, ("George D. McFly II").

Here's a little more information to add about my trials in 1989 during the shooting of the BttF sequels;

I was kept in the dark about what I was going to be doing on Back to the Future pt.2 till just about two days before the shoot.

I was told by casting that I was up for being a "photo double" even a "stand in" when I was up for the part.
                I even called Crispin to ask his help in getting the work to help pay for my coming second child's birth. (I had worked on an AFI film with him & Dan O'Herlihy, and enjoyed watching his work, a year before the 1st BttF film).

When I found out Crispin was not doing the sequels, which seemed to me unimaginable, I proceeded to work with mixed feelings. (Mostly feeling like a 'scab', because of all the weird reactions and treatment on set). I was called by Crispen's name by the director among others, and I was told that the "hanging upside down" as George in the McFly household of 2015 was to torture Crispin for being such a pain in the ass on the first film.
                Oddly, I was cut from the "making of" docu film, and as well, several promotions that I tried to do to further my career had the plug mysteriously pulled.

Ahh Hollywood.

I heard that Mr.Glover got 760,000.00 in the settlement.

Comment

Originally posted by bed-and-bones View Post
                  I don't think Crispin would have been cast as Grendal in Zemeckis' 'Beowulf' if he was difficult to work with. He's like most actors. They want to include their own ideas into the characters they portray.
                  It was 22 years between BEOWULF and BACK TO THE FUTURE. Take a gander at his credits in between that time period. When you're a great actor with range - and he is - you don't just slide back and take a) leads and supports in microbudgeted indies and b) bit parts in mainstream movies out of choice. In the 80s, he made some horrible moves (the LETTERMAN appearance really was significant) and, rightly or wrongly, got the reputation that he was a loose cannon and hard to work with. My guess is that by the time WILLARD rolled around, he'd matured and mellowed out a bit.

See also: Sean Penn (basically did nothing significant, compared to his current status, between FAST TIMES and I AM SAM except for DEAD MAN WALKING), Mickey Rourke, and to a more drugged-out extent, Robert Downey Jr. Of course Glover is more of a character actor than those guys, but they all suffered similar professional fates for similar reasons.

The lawsuit may have been justified, but all the same, he didn't just disappear to mainstream audiences because no one could find a way to use him. The BTTF fiasco was just one of the jumping points.

Comment

Well I read the second script (thanks to one of the members who sent it to me) and...it's just not good. It appears to me that this might have been a draft they were writing when they weren't sure if Crispin would come back. Cause he's not really in it. But the script is horrible. It's 160 pages and it isn't until page 80 that any type of plot surfaces (something about saving a hospital - yuck, talk about boring). The movie goes back to the 60s, which seems to have no other point than that it's kinda funny for Doc and Marty to use drugged out hippie phrases. I believe I heard earlier that Zemeckis and [co-writer] realized the 60s thing wasn't working and when they came up with going back to the 50s again, that's when the script really came together. I agree that was a cool idea (and much better than this 60s crap) but they needed a good 4 or 5 more drafts. It wasn't there yet.

Nonetheless, it's interesting to see the process.

Goose, re: Penn
                    I recently listened to the commentary on Fast Times (which is a good commentary since Heckerling and Crowe don't hold back in their opinions) and Penn was just a total d*ck on that set. Sure, Method Acting this and Method Acting that. But there's something called common courtesy. After being a total a-hole the entire shoot, when the wrap party rolled around (since he was no longer "Spicoli" anymore) he walked up to everyone, shook their hand, and said "Hi, I'm Sean Penn, nice to meet you." I would've clocked him right there.

Oh, and they also said Nic Cage (who had a small part) was a total weirdo.

Comment

Originally posted by goosetown View Post
                      His appearance on LETTERMAN where he attempted to roundhouse Dave in the head didn't help either, I'm guessing.
                      http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=ALapHYNSmoA

@TerranceMulloy

Comment

Originally posted by wilsoneads View Post
                        Goose, re: Penn
                        I recently listened to the commentary on Fast Times (which is a good commentary since Heckerling and Crowe don't hold back in their opinions) and Penn was just a total d*ck on that set. Sure, Method Acting this and Method Acting that. But there's something called common courtesy. After being a total a-hole the entire shoot, when the wrap party rolled around (since he was no longer "Spicoli" anymore) he walked up to everyone, shook their hand, and said "Hi, I'm Sean Penn, nice to meet you." I would've clocked him right there.
                        Also, here's the other thing.

He was playing Spicoli in Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Not every role warrants method.

Comment

Sean Penn seems to be one of those actors that take himself waaaayyy to seriously.

Comment

Working...
                          X