Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orci, Kurtzman and the Summer Box Office

If Transformers and Star Trek end up being the two highest grossing movies of the Summer, it really says something about the value of the writer. You hear so much hype about JJ and Bay, but these dudes should be getting a little more credit for an accomplishment like that.
    "People spend so much time focusing on rescuing the princess, they forget how much fun it is to fight the dragon."
    - Simon Pegg & Nick Frost, DAVE

Re: Orci, Kurtzman and the Summer Box Office

The first Transformers was a terribly written script. I can't imagine anyone went to see that because of the writing or even the story.

Your case would be better made with original movies that aren't from established franchises with built-in fanbases.

Comment

Originally posted by Sinnycal View Post
      The first Transformers was a terribly written script. I can't imagine anyone went to see that because of the writing or even the story.

Your case would be better made with original movies that aren't from established franchises with built-in fanbases.
      I walked out of Transformers, but the numbers aren't subjective.
      "With a week to go, Transformers:Revenge of the Fallen is already pulling in 45% of ticket sales through online ticketing service Fandango. At this point in their sales cycles, the film is outpacing both the first film and this Summer's biggest hit so far - "Star Trek".
      "People spend so much time focusing on rescuing the princess, they forget how much fun it is to fight the dragon."
      - Simon Pegg & Nick Frost, DAVE

Comment

Is there some reason to believe that the numbers wouldn't be the same if they had hired a particularly well-trained chimpanzee to write the script?

Comment

Did you read the script?

I don't care how bad you think that script was, you can't deny their power out here. They are the creative force behind MASSIVE franchise flicks and they do their job well. These two guys are a gold mine for the studio and are booked clear into 2012 on multiple assignments. I like what they do, and so do a TON of movie patrons. They must be doing something right then.

Comment

I think these guys are good. Very good.

It doesn't matter whether you like the movies they write or not. They are good and smart.

They already have leverage to negotiate the films they really wanna make in the future. I wish I was half-way there.

"Artificial Intelligence will never match the efficiency of Natural Stupidity"

Comment

Originally posted by jddobkin View Post
              Did you read the script?
              Months before seeing the movie. It was one of the most agonizing experiences of my life.

And it had more built-in product placement than what even made the movie, which I found bizarre.

I don't care how bad you think that script was, you can't deny their power out here. They are the creative force behind MASSIVE franchise flicks and they do their job well. These two guys are a gold mine for the studio and are booked clear into 2012 on multiple assignments. I like what they do, and so do a TON of movie patrons. They must be doing something right then.
              If by something right you mean taking jobs writing for established franchises with existing fanbases and sure-bet tentpole directors attached, then sure. That's clever enough, I suppose.

Tons of movie patrons like their movies, but take 10 people who loved the first Transformers and 9.7 of them will concede that "The story sucked, but BOOMSPLOSIONS!" I'm still not convinced that I couldn't train a dolphin to do what they do.

Comment

I'm still not convinced that I couldn't train a dolphin to do what they do.
                I've been told I don't have the intelligence of a dolphin, but I do have opposable thumbs, AND I can do it for less than half what they paid those other guys.

Comment

Sold!

Comment

And it had more built-in product placement than what even made the movie, which I found bizarre.
                    Are you serious about this?

I haven't read the script and this sounds really bizarre...

"Artificial Intelligence will never match the efficiency of Natural Stupidity"

Comment

It's not my cup of tea but money talks. There are movies and then there are movies

Why oh why can't they take on Greatest American Hero?
                      In the evening when the sun is sinkin' low
                      Everybody's with the one they love
                      I walk the town, Keep a-searchin' all around
                      Lookin' for my street corner girl
                      - Zep

Comment

I think these guys are very cool too. Love their work. The Transformers script actually "transformed" (see what I did there) the way I looked at a script and the way I looked at my own writing.

Comment

Originally posted by Why One View Post
                          I think these guys are very cool too. Love their work. The Transformers script actually "transformed" (see what I did there) the way I looked at a script and the way I looked at my own writing.
                          In what way?
                          "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

Long story. But the short version is that it made me realize how much I sucked. Read a lot of scripts (pro and non-pro) before that. But something clicked when I read Transformers.

Comment

While their writing might not be everyones cup of tea, you HAVE to respect their work ethic. These guys went from assistants to show runners in their mid twenties and haven't stop working at a fever pace since.

I wish everyone on this board that kind of career, regardless of what kind of movies you're writing.

Comment

Working...
                              X