Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do Clive Cussler novels tank?

Two of Clive Cussler's novels have been made into movies; "Raise the Titanic" and "Sahara" both of these films have pretty much tanked.

Reading the books I would think that they would make for great serialized films along the lines of National Treasure mixed with James Bond. The novels seem to have a large following. Why are the movies just not cracking it?

Is it maybe because there isnt a Jerry Bruckheimer / Michael Bay type at the helm or do the stories just not translate well to film. Or is it perhaps that the scripts are just too far removed from the original novels?

J-L

Re: Why do Clive Cussler novels tank?

Clive Cussler is probably my all time favorite author. I actually quite loved the adaptation of Sahara. Wasn't too keen on Raise the Titanic, though.

I am still DESPERATELY waiting for Inca Gold to be made (which will probably be never). That was the first book of his I ever read, and I think it was easily his best.

I think the problem is that there is nobody to adapt them well enough. That, and I think they translate badly into films. There's just too much improbability. I know, that's a stupid thing to say given the standard fare out in theaters these days, but the plots can be pretty silly. As much as I would love to see the books turned into movies, I doubt Cussler will ever let anyone go near them after the last two got botched so badly. Well, that and the lawsuits.
    Last edited by 12916studios; 06-25-2009, 01:19 AM.

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

Comment

Sorta funny... I was a big fan back in my teens, but Sahara was the last Cussler I read. Sorta moved on, I suppose.

But still, I'd say piss-poor casting. Richard Jordan didn't have cinematic chops and Matthew McConaughey? Seriously...casting him as Dirk Pitt seems like some bizarre joke. Pitt is obviously supposed to be a Yankee James Bond... and it's hard to fathom McConaughey being able to breathe without a Post-it note reading "Inhale/exhale" at the end of his nose.

Now, I sorta enoyed Sahara. Just didn't consider it a Dirk Pitt movie.
      "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Interesting.

I have not read any of the books.

Sahara used to run on cable all the time, and I watched it several times (at least parts of it). I thought it was pretty good except for some of the usual Hollywood improbabilities. I mean, when you have enemy soldiers shooting at you (in the open) with automatic weapons, and you are not hit, and this happens again and again, you have entered the realm of improbability.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

First, let's throw out Raise the Titanic from the discussion. It is among the worst films ever made.

I've read most of the novels. They are very episodic which would lend them to an Indiana Jones style with the hero moving from one mini-crisis to the next...but the directing/writing tries to make them less serial and more 3-act. The problem with that is there is no character arcing by anybody.

I thought Sahara was good and particularly did well with the back-n-forth verbal exchanges.

I think the basic problems with Pitt adaptations include a lack of character arc/theme (which Bond 1-20 also lacked) and the type of situations Cussler writes are very expensive to film (larger than life everything). At the end of the day you have $100-125mm costs to film this type of action and an audience of only $70-$100mm. (the under 25 market just doesn't follow this franchise)

More sex and violence might help!

R.O.T.

Comment

Cussler had a lot of issues, personal and legal, with Sahara. Cussler sued one of the companies because he thought they violated the contract that gave him script approval and the company countersued him, claiming he asked his fans to avoid the film.
            The end is too damn nigh.

Comment

Originally posted by 12916studios View Post
              I think the problem is that there is nobody to adapt them well enough. That, and I think they translate badly into films. There's just too much improbability. I know, that's a stupid thing to say given the standard fare out in theaters these days, but the plots can be pretty silly. As much as I would love to see the books turned into movies, I doubt Cussler will ever let anyone go near them after the last two got botched so badly. Well, that and the lawsuits.
              I agree. I actually just read my first Cussler novel this year. Loved the book, but I can see how the sensational mixed with the action could be problematic... and having seen SAHARA, it seems that maybe people have a hard time figuring out what level of absurdity to include in the project. I don't know the development history or acquisition talks that have surrounded his properties, but I could easily imagine some confusion along the process, trying to decide if they're trying to make a straightforward action flick, or a tongue-in-cheek adventure type film.

I really would love to see more of his stuff on the screen, though. The books are great fun to read. Of course, if the legal troubles surrounding SAHARA are any indication, Cussler doesn't seem like he's the easiest guy to work with on a film adaptation...

Comment

I second Inca Gold being adapted. It was his best novel.

Hugh Jackman for Dirk Pitt!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Diamond View Post
                  I second Inca Gold being adapted. It was his best novel.

Hugh Jackman for Dirk Pitt!!
                  I am not exactly a fan of his, although I did like him in Australia. I could definitely see him working though. He's got the right look, and definitely has the swagger for it. His character in Australia was almost a Dirk Pitt clone, now that I think about it.

The one scene I HAVE to see from Inca Gold is the one where he slides down the face of the pyramid on a mattress, using two knives and the soles of his feet to slow his fall. That entire shootout scene was epic! Completely illogical. But f*cking epic.

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

Comment

Yeah, Jackman is a good choice.

Funny that there's no name brand American actors that could pull off playing the role.
                    "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Another Cussler fan here, who loves the books (obviously) and hates the movies.

Raise the Titanic - if there was as much care put into the script and casting as there was in the SPFX shots, it would have been good. And why the hell would they write out Giordino???

Sahara - Cussler's newer books (the last 15-20 years) always had a message in them. Inca Gold was about the depleted fresh-water supply. Sahara: pollution, Flood Tide: illegal imigration, etc. Sahara never showed that. As presented in the movie, Pitt was a wisecracking thrillseeker moving from moment to moment with no arc. With nothing of substance to carry it, the movie was a major letdown.

CC didn't have to ask fans to stay away from SAHARA, a lot of the fans, including me, made that decision on their own.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott T View Post
                        Another Cussler fan here, who loves the books (obviously) and hates the movies.

Raise the Titanic - if there was as much care put into the script and casting as there was in the SPFX shots, it would have been good. And why the hell would they write out Giordino???

Sahara - Cussler's newer books (the last 15-20 years) always had a message in them. Inca Gold was about the depleted fresh-water supply. Sahara: pollution, Flood Tide: illegal imigration, etc. Sahara never showed that. As presented in the movie, Pitt was a wisecracking thrillseeker moving from moment to moment with no arc. With nothing of substance to carry it, the movie was a major letdown.

CC didn't have to ask fans to stay away from SAHARA, a lot of the fans, including me, made that decision on their own.
                        Fortunately, I saw SAHARA before I read the book, so I wasn't crushed with disappointment. Whew.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalScribe View Post
                          Fortunately, I saw SAHARA before I read the book, so I wasn't crushed with disappointment. Whew.
                          lol! You had a definite advantage!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott T View Post
                            lol! You had a definite advantage!
                            Unfortunately, now that I've read quite a few of Cussler's books, I think the next time (if there is a next time), I may not be so fortunate. In which case, I'll be right alongside all of you, mourning what could have been.

Comment

It's hard to adapt mediocre writing, and some just don't give well from page to screen... Look at Dean Koontz. Terrible writer. I wouldn't adapt him if you paid me millions.

Well, maybe...

Comment

Working...
                              X