Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Good Scripts written in a short period of time

He works primarily in television, but David E. Kelley bangs out the first draft of an hour long drama in two days.

He often scripts entire seasons of a television show, and - I'm double checking on this - scripted an entire season of "Ally Mcbeal" and "The Practice", simultaneously.

Comment

ROCKY....

Mr. Stallone watched the Muhammad Ali-Chuck Wepner fight on closed circuit television. Mr. Wepner, a liquor salesman from Bayonne, New Jersey, was given no chance against Mr. Ali; but Mr. Wepner fought valiantly—knocking Mr. Ali down in the ninth round. In fact Mr. Wepner nearly went the distance against the champ, but the fight was stopped with nineteen seconds to go in the fifteenth and final round after Mr. Wepner had lost two pints of blood and his sense of direction.

For the next three days and nights Mr. Stallone, then 28, could not eat or sleep: "I started writing the script for Rocky I, and I couldn't stop. It was like 'somebody else' was writing it. I could tell, you know, because I could spell words like courageous and determined that I had to look up when I was writing The Lords of Flatbush."
      "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Originally posted by joe9alt View Post
        ROCKY....

For the next three days and nights Mr. Stallone, then 28, could not eat or sleep: "I started writing the script for Rocky I, and I couldn't stop. It was like 'somebody else' was writing it. "
        He wrote Cobra in 8 days using the novel "Fair Game" by Paula Gosling and character details he had accumulated from his draft of "Beverly Hills Cop" (Sly was going to play the lead role at one point and changed the main character's name from Axel Foley to Marion "Cobra" Cobretti, prior to Eddie Murphy's signing on).
        Last edited by ary157; 07-30-2009, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ary157 View Post
          John Hughe's speed has always amazed me.

THE FASTEST TIME FOR WRITING THE SCRIPT OF A FULL LENGTH FEATURE FILM was two days for Weird Science (US 85) by John Hughes, who also directed. This was an improvement on previous efforts - it had taken him three days to script The Breakfast Club (US 84), a full four days for National Lampoons Vacation (US 83), and no less than a week for Mr. Mom (US 83), although he failed to break his own record with Home Alone (US 90), he did manage to write the whole of the second half in just eight hours. "The faster I go, the better it is," Hughes declares.

-- Source Film Facts by Patrick Robertson

ary157
          Wow! Did he get the idea then write it 3-4 days? Or did he outline and develope it then write it in 3-4 days?

Comment

Mike Myers and his partner wrote Austin Powers in a weekend.

Hey, say what you want but the thing made a fortune.
            "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
            - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Originally posted by roscoegino View Post
              Mike Myers and his partner wrote Austin Powers in a weekend.

Hey, say what you want but the thing made a fortune.
              Amazing. The original Austin Powers is a classic comedy and it was written that quickly.
              They developed and wrote it in a weekend? Or was it outlined then they wrote the draft over the weekend?

Comment

So I kind of believe him [Werner Herzog] when he says the script took 2 1/2 days to write. I don't really imagine a script in the Shane Black sense so much as a jumbled mess of notes written by a madman that gave him a general idea of where to point the camera.
                How bout for Fitzcarraldo? Surely took less time than getting that damn boat over the hill.

THE FASTEST TIME FOR WRITING THE SCRIPT OF A FULL LENGTH FEATURE FILM was two days for Weird Science (US 85)
                Any idea of how much of those 48 hours were spent writing, whether Hughes had it outlined beforehand, etc.

Comment

I heard that Hensleigh wrote his early spec that eventually became Die Hard 3 in a few days. And didn't Paul Schrader do Taxi Driver in a week or so???
                  Twitter @sjgrierson
                  https://twitter.com/sjgrierson

Comment

Originally posted by rodzilla View Post
                    Amazing. The original Austin Powers is a classic comedy and it was written that quickly.
                    They developed and wrote it in a weekend? Or was it outlined then they wrote the draft over the weekend?
                    No. The whole script. Though he might've had the outline in his head from way back when. Actors who are highly trained in comedy (including improv) can come up with sketches and scenes pretty quickly. Then it's just a matter of shaping and molding and polishing
                    "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                    - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Working...
                    X