Most important screenwriter of the 00's?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most important screenwriter of the 00's?

To add to the directors thread, since this is a screenwriting board.

Names that come to mind are William Monahan, Paul Haggis, Orci & Kurtzman, Charlie Kaufman, Ted & Terry, and the Nolans.

If Monahan had another great work or two under his belt this decade, he might be my choice, but I think I'll have to go with the Nolans for this one. Between THE PRESTIGE and the Batman movies, they're a story telling behemoth right now.
    QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Re: Most important screenwriter of the 00's?

Important is such a subjective word.

Commercially, I think Ted and Terry win this hands down. I don't think anyone comes close to the grosses Shrek and Pirates and their sequels achieved.

In terms of the importance of their achievements moving forward, I'd have to agree with the Nolans. I think the direction they took Batman in will be a template for a lot of franchises moving forward.

As a Sorkinite, I feel obliged to mention him. Though not a movie, what he did on the West Wing was quite simply sublime

Comment

Originally posted by Knaight View Post
      To add to the directors thread, since this is a screenwriting board.

Names that come to mind are William Monahan, Paul Haggis, Orci & Kurtzman, Charlie Kaufman, Ted & Terry, and the Nolans.

If Monahan had another great work or two under his belt this decade, he might be my choice, but I think I'll have to go with the Nolans for this one. Between THE PRESTIGE and the Batman movies, they're a story telling behemoth right now.
      Ed. Burns and David simon come to mind for 'The Wire' which is cutting edge stuff. Though over with. I think in the screenwriting world t The Coen brothers and Woody allen are doing the best work around. I think Pt anderson and craig brewer are both pretty special. Ted and Terry are making a lot of rich people richer, that's not important to me.
      It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Matthew Michael Carnahan.

He really captured the country's zeitgeist on the War on Terror, politics and general state of disarray the early 2000s were in and the administration who was in charge of everything.
        Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

Judd Apatow -- mainly for bringing the R-rated comedy into the mainstream allowing the raunch to stick its head out unapologetically

40 Year Old Virgin
          Knocked Up
          "you have to write right, right?" -- Todd Gordon

Comment

Working...
          X