The Lost Patrol

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Lost Patrol

    I wasn't going to start a separate thread for my project The Lost Patrol, but I have the day off and it's peeing with rain, so why not...?

    Here are a couple of the trade announcements from last week:
    Stephen Norrington set to 'Patrol'
    Blade's Norrington Goes On 'The Lost Patrol'

    To cut a long story short, I wrote the movie in '99. It bounced around Hollywood, was optioned a few times, but while everyone loved the script nobody wanted to touch WWII. In 2007, the option with one producer expired and one of the co-producers of LORD OF THE RINGS (Rick Porras) swooped in. They took it to Legendary, who loved it and subsequently took over the whole project.

    From day one, Legendary wanted to bring in a writer they were already fond of to change a specific element of the story (sadly, I can't discuss story details). This "writer replacement" step is really the purpose behind my post -- it's okay to be replaced as a writer.

    While obviously not ideal, you have to accept it's part of the process on most studio projects. It has no bearing on your talent whatsoever. Some succeed in landing sole credit, like DD's very own Gary Whitta, but that's very uncommon. So be prepared. If you sell your script, someone else may end up writing your baby. But roll with it. Once you have a theatrical movie produced, you'll be the writer they bring in to rewrite the next newcomer.

    Often, being replaced is a political thing to, say, increase foreign sales. On another project I have setup -- "Bullet Run" -- one of the overseas territories kicking in part of the $40m budget wanted "a writer with at least one theatrical credit to come in and do a polish." They didn't care who or how talented, only that they had a credit they could mention to their investors or equity fund. So a writer was brought in and he did a quick uncredited pass. The ironic part: I'm still writing on the project and I've been given notes which critique the other writer's revisions and request I remove most of them.

    Simply put, being replaced happens. Don't take it personally and be prepared for it to happen. Hopefully it won't, but it might.

    On a brighter note, Stephen Norrington has been brought onboard to speed up "The Lost Patrol" because Legendary is hot to make it. He's going to do a draft himself (common with writer/directors) and the hope is that we shoot later this year (depends on "The Crow"). I know little about Norrington except that I loved the first "Blade" and there are many internet rumors claiming he was tough to work with on "League of X G." But I'm convinced he's a great artistic choice for this project and I think most of you are going to love this picture when it hits the theaters.

    Until that happens, don't worry. DD's resident reader is still reading...
    .
    sigpic
    NOTES / COVERAGE
    10,000+ Screenplays
    DD Thread Facebook
    [email protected]

  • #2
    Re: The Lost Patrol

    Congrats. Sounds pretty cool.
    "People spend so much time focusing on rescuing the princess, they forget how much fun it is to fight the dragon."
    - Simon Pegg & Nick Frost, DAVE

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: The Lost Patrol

      Originally posted by EvilRbt View Post
      I wasn't going to start a separate thread for my project The Lost Patrol, but I have the day off and it's peeing with rain, so why not...?

      Here are a couple of the trade announcements from last week:
      Stephen Norrington set to 'Patrol'
      Blade's Norrington Goes On 'The Lost Patrol'

      To cut a long story short, I wrote the movie in '99. It bounced around Hollywood, was optioned a few times, but while everyone loved the script nobody wanted to touch WWII. In 2007, the option with one producer expired and one of the co-producers of LORD OF THE RINGS (Rick Porras) swooped in. They took it to Legendary, who loved it and subsequently took over the whole project.

      From day one, Legendary wanted to bring in a writer they were already fond of to change a specific element of the story (sadly, I can't discuss story details). This "writer replacement" step is really the purpose behind my post -- it's okay to be replaced as a writer.

      While obviously not ideal, you have to accept it's part of the process on most studio projects. It has no bearing on your talent whatsoever. Some succeed in landing sole credit, like DD's very own Gary Whitta, but that's very uncommon. So be prepared. If you sell your script, someone else may end up writing your baby. But roll with it. Once you have a theatrical movie produced, you'll be the writer they bring in to rewrite the next newcomer.

      Often, being replaced is a political thing to, say, increase foreign sales. On another project I have setup -- "Bullet Run" -- one of the overseas territories kicking in part of the $40m budget wanted "a writer with at least one theatrical credit to come in and do a polish." They didn't care who or how talented, only that they had a credit they could mention to their investors or equity fund. So a writer was brought in and he did a quick uncredited pass. The ironic part: I'm still writing on the project and I've been given notes which critique the other writer's revisions and request I remove most of them.

      Simply put, being replaced happens. Don't take it personally and be prepared for it to happen. Hopefully it won't, but it might.

      On a brighter note, Stephen Norrington has been brought onboard to speed up "The Lost Patrol" because Legendary is hot to make it. He's going to do a draft himself (common with writer/directors) and the hope is that we shoot later this year (depends on "The Crow"). I know little about Norrington except that I loved the first "Blade" and there are many internet rumors claiming he was tough to work with on "League of X G." But I'm convinced he's a great artistic choice for this project and I think most of you are going to love this picture when it hits the theaters.

      Until that happens, don't worry. DD's resident reader is still reading...
      Well, hopefully you retain a writing credit on it, and then Norrington gets it made with legendary--cha-ching!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: The Lost Patrol

        Originally posted by SBScript View Post
        Well, hopefully you retain a writing credit on it, and then Norrington gets it made with legendary--cha-ching!
        I have a sweet deal and no worries on credit. Yes, if it goes into production... cha-ching.
        .
        sigpic
        NOTES / COVERAGE
        10,000+ Screenplays
        DD Thread Facebook
        [email protected]

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: The Lost Patrol

          Originally posted by EvilRbt View Post
          I have a sweet deal and no worries on credit. Yes, if it goes into production... cha-ching.
          I like Legendary a lot, great company and very forward thinking, And lord knows they have the dough. Congrats and break a leg on it moving forward.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: The Lost Patrol

            Very interesting, thanks for the read.


            Originally posted by EvilRbt View Post
            I wasn't going to start a separate thread for my project The Lost Patrol, but I have the day off and it's peeing with rain, so why not...?

            Here are a couple of the trade announcements from last week:
            Stephen Norrington set to 'Patrol'
            Blade's Norrington Goes On 'The Lost Patrol'

            To cut a long story short, I wrote the movie in '99. It bounced around Hollywood, was optioned a few times, but while everyone loved the script nobody wanted to touch WWII. In 2007, the option with one producer expired and one of the co-producers of LORD OF THE RINGS (Rick Porras) swooped in. They took it to Legendary, who loved it and subsequently took over the whole project.

            From day one, Legendary wanted to bring in a writer they were already fond of to change a specific element of the story (sadly, I can't discuss story details). This "writer replacement" step is really the purpose behind my post -- it's okay to be replaced as a writer.

            While obviously not ideal, you have to accept it's part of the process on most studio projects. It has no bearing on your talent whatsoever. Some succeed in landing sole credit, like DD's very own Gary Whitta, but that's very uncommon. So be prepared. If you sell your script, someone else may end up writing your baby. But roll with it. Once you have a theatrical movie produced, you'll be the writer they bring in to rewrite the next newcomer.

            Often, being replaced is a political thing to, say, increase foreign sales. On another project I have setup -- "Bullet Run" -- one of the overseas territories kicking in part of the $40m budget wanted "a writer with at least one theatrical credit to come in and do a polish." They didn't care who or how talented, only that they had a credit they could mention to their investors or equity fund. So a writer was brought in and he did a quick uncredited pass. The ironic part: I'm still writing on the project and I've been given notes which critique the other writer's revisions and request I remove most of them.

            Simply put, being replaced happens. Don't take it personally and be prepared for it to happen. Hopefully it won't, but it might.

            On a brighter note, Stephen Norrington has been brought onboard to speed up "The Lost Patrol" because Legendary is hot to make it. He's going to do a draft himself (common with writer/directors) and the hope is that we shoot later this year (depends on "The Crow"). I know little about Norrington except that I loved the first "Blade" and there are many internet rumors claiming he was tough to work with on "League of X G." But I'm convinced he's a great artistic choice for this project and I think most of you are going to love this picture when it hits the theaters.

            Until that happens, don't worry. DD's resident reader is still reading...
            "What's worse than being talked about? Not being talked about."

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: The Lost Patrol

              Interesting, congratulations btw and thx for sharing, one to watch and track through into production, as some of us did with Armored.

              A question --- when rewriting takes place, what would you do, or attempt to do when you are unhappy about those changes ? Let's say, where the overall tone is affected, or by the addition of a scene something is affected in a way that is -- in your opinion -- fatal to the story ... here, I'm not thinking of minor changes or even improvements, but probably those changes that touch upon your original vision, conception.

              Vision is a probably too strong or vague a term perhaps, but those rewrite steps issues that affect tone, key scenes and/or other aspects of the structure of the screenplay as you originally wrote it ?

              Are there any strategies you've developed, or would reco. for managing this type of situation, such as how much you would be consulted/not consulted, how much influence you might have etc ?
              Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: The Lost Patrol

                Congraulations, EvilRbt...

                Sounds good.. And I'd like to see this..

                I wouldn't have a problem with being rewritten as long as it got me further work down the line..

                It's a foot in the door, right?

                Way cool..

                Well done...


                Kevan

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: The Lost Patrol

                  Wow, congratulations EvlRbt. That's freaking awesome. Always great to see DD'ers do well. I'd heard good things about your coverage, so I'm not surprised to hear your talent extends into your writing as well.
                  Script Reviews - 5 a week! http://scriptshadow.blogspot.com/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: The Lost Patrol

                    Late to the party.

                    Congrats, man. That is a killer premise.
                    @TerranceMulloy

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: The Lost Patrol

                      Big time Congrats, Evil.
                      Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

                      -- Rule 85, Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (updated by cmmora)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: The Lost Patrol

                        Thanks, everyone. Really.

                        It's been a long road and I'll update you all as I learn more. Supposedly, Norrington will deliver a new draft in March.
                        .
                        sigpic
                        NOTES / COVERAGE
                        10,000+ Screenplays
                        DD Thread Facebook
                        [email protected]

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X