Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kafka-esque

Franz Kafka... and Kafka-esque have been used to describe many writers like Charlie Kaufman. There have been a few new specs which have been called Kafka-esque including "The Ornate Anatomy of Living Things."

Who can we really consider Kafa-esque?

...Or is the term just too broadly used today to hold true meaning?

Re: Kafka-esque

To understand Kafka, see him in terms of a satirist of inhumanity.

Comment

Originally posted by nathanq View Post
      Franz Kafka... and Kafka-esque have been used to describe many writers like Charlie Kaufman. There have been a few new specs which have been called Kafka-esque including "The Ornate Anatomy of Living Things."

Who can we really consider Kafa-esque?

...Or is the term just too broadly used today to hold true meaning?
      What percentage of people who use that term have never read Kafka? 50%? Or am I being charitable.

Comment

Honestly, if anyone ever called a work of mine "Kafka-esque", I'd probably consider that to be one of the greatest compliments ever. That being said, I don't think I've ever come across a screenplay that was truly Kafka-esque. I've read and seen stuff that was obviously influenced, but nothing on his particular level. Ol' dude was a literary badass.

Comment

Originally posted by nathanq
          Read some of David Lynch's unproduced screenplays then.
          Really? Like what? I don't think Lynch and Kafka are really comparable.

Comment

Originally posted by nathanq
            Read some of David Lynch's unproduced screenplays then.
            I feel like if I articulated my thoughts on Mr. Lynch, I'd be led out of the village and stoned. But you know what? Bless his heart.

Comment

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
              Really? Like what? I don't think Lynch and Kafka are really comparable.
              http://www.lynchnet.com/upfilms.html

Dream of Bovine- Co-written with Robert Engels in 1994, this was to be comedy about three people who once were cows. They still behave like cows, but look like humans. Peter Deming described it as an "existential Marx Brothers." Originally it was planned as a television series for Comedy Central, but was later adapted to a feature format. Lynch wanted Harry Dean Stanton to play one of the cows, as well as Ed Wright (Del Mibbler from Twin Peaks) and Max Perlich (best known from Homicide : Life on the Street). The script hasn't been completely scrapped, but Lynch is not currently working on it.

and of course he's actually written an uproduced adaptation of Kafka's Metamorphosis.

Comment

Kafka was Kafka-esque. Soderbergh nailed it. Good cast didn't hurt either.
                Frustrated? Click here for help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Comment

Originally posted by Mycroftbrett View Post
                  Kafka was Kafka-esque. Soderbergh nailed it. Good cast didn't hurt either.
                  'Kafka' wasn't even Soderbergh's most Kafka-esque: that'd have to be 'Schizopolis'.

...we friends of his laughed quite immoderately when he [Kafka] first let us hear the first chapter of
                  The Trial. And he himself laughed so much that there were moments when he couldn't read any further. Astonishing enough, when you think of the fearful earnestness of this chapter.

-- Max Brod, Kafka's friend and biographer.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Pebbel View Post
                    'Kafka' wasn't even Soderbergh's most Kafka-esque: that'd have to be 'Schizopolis'.

...we friends of his laughed quite immoderately when he [Kafka] first let us hear the first chapter of The Trial. And he himself laughed so much that there were moments when he couldn't read any further. Astonishing enough, when you think of the fearful earnestness of this chapter.

-- Max Brod, Kafka's friend and biographer.
                    Schizopolis was the shiz!
                    Frustrated? Click here for help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Comment

Cronenberg had a very Kafkaesque take on Burroughs' NAKED LUNCH

Comment

Working...
                      X