Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy crap, The Architect is Good

it's been a long time since i've read a thriller this good. kudos to craig stiles for selling his spec. i hope it gets made.

http://specchaser.wordpress.com/2010...raig-stiles-2/

Re: Holy crap, The Architect is Good

Originally posted by cupertinoCA View Post
    it's been a long time since i've read a thriller this good. kudos to craig stiles for selling his spec. i hope it gets made.

http://specchaser.wordpress.com/2010...raig-stiles-2/
    I read this over the weekend and thought it was okay. Started out well, but I felt it became a little too contrived as it went along. Things are just a little too easy for our hero in parts and the villainous scheme doesn't stand up to close scrutiny I felt.

But, hey, Craig Stiles has sold a spec and that's damn cool. I wish him the very best.
    Last edited by Twofingeredtypist; 04-21-2010, 02:14 AM.
    @MacBullitt

Comment

you know what? i kinda had some reservations with it, too... which part did you think it started to get "contrived"?

i dunno. by the end of it, i thought craig did achieve to get a lot of mileage out of the main character.

** SPOILER **

i liked how he worked walsh back into the ending. i liked how he did the engagement. also, the part where he's going to get to build his building after all is nice. tying those knots really added value.

i guess my issue is that the main problem started with just a "mistake." if a random kid hadn't taken the laptop, it would have turned out differently. i would have wanted the incident to have been caused by the bad guy, instead... i dunno if that makes sense...

anyway, good read he really had me doubt myself for a moment when mitch was in the psych ward

Comment

Originally posted by cupertinoCA View Post
        you know what? i kinda had some reservations with it, too... which part did you think it started to get "contrived"?

i dunno. by the end of it, i thought craig did achieve to get a lot of mileage out of the main character.

** SPOILER **

i liked how he worked walsh back into the ending. i liked how he did the engagement. also, the part where he's going to get to build his building after all is nice. tying those knots really added value.

i guess my issue is that the main problem started with just a "mistake." if a random kid hadn't taken the laptop, it would have turned out differently. i would have wanted the incident to have been caused by the bad guy, instead... i dunno if that makes sense...

anyway, good read he really had me doubt myself for a moment when mitch was in the psych ward
        I think it was mainly to do with how easily he found the kid, all the workers suddenly deciding to help him plus the hiding of the memory card.

The randomness of the laptop being stolen I didn't have a problem with. It is not that different from Harrison Ford picking up the wrong suitcase in Frantic, I just don't get why smugglers would concoct such an over-elaborate scheme just to use people essentially as mules.

It's kind of cool to talk about the scripts we read!
        @MacBullitt

Comment

Originally posted by Twofingeredtypist View Post
          I think it was mainly to do with how easily he found the kid, all the workers suddenly deciding to help him plus the hiding of the memory card.

The randomness of the laptop being stolen I didn't have a problem with. It is not that different from Harrison Ford picking up the wrong suitcase in Frantic, I just don't get why smugglers would concoct such an over-elaborate scheme just to use people essentially as mules.

It's kind of cool to talk about the scripts we read!
          yeah. lol. that's true. btw, based on the first scene, i'm guessing the information was stored in the ipod?? anyway, you're right, they should have just sent the laptop there another way haha

Comment

I thought The Architect was very capable in the action scenes... A bit too capable if you take into account the level of his enemies.
            Secondly, he doesn't really need to be an architect... He could have been an investment banker, an interior decorator, you name it.
            Finally: no character arc, though the pace is high enough for it not to be an issue while reading/watching it.
            Check out my blog: Scriptwriting Secrets... From Belgium?!?

As sweet and filling as Belgian chocolate and waffles, but with zero calories!

Comment

I thought it was a lot of fun. Not perfect, but all the little stuff can be overlooked because it was a great story and it had an excellent lead character. I can see why it sold. I enjoyed this much more than DUBAI.

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

i think it's important that he's an architect because dubai is known for their ingenious building designs... sending an interior design person there would not have had the same effect, i dont think.

at the same time, i agree with you in that his skills as an architect should have been utilized somehow in some of the action sets.

Comment

It's also important in that the "Kiss the Sky- building represents the pinnacle of his career and is the lure which brings him to Dubai, an architect's paradise.

It is also the goal he is allowed to achieve in the end.
                  @MacBullitt

Comment

Trackingb doesn't say it's sold, unless i'm misreading?

Comment

Originally posted by mikeb View Post
                      Trackingb doesn't say it's sold, unless i'm misreading?
                      Sold to RKO is last entry. Also reported here on DD.
                      @MacBullitt

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaHans View Post
                        I thought it was a lot of fun. Not perfect, but all the little stuff can be overlooked because it was a great story and it had an excellent lead character. I can see why it sold. I enjoyed this much more than DUBAI.
                        what was dubai about?

I thought it was an adequate update for a movie like frantic. it would a great movie for someone like my father to watch on a lazy weekend afternoon.

Comment

i know craig. he's a good guy and deserves all the success that comes to him. he's put in hard work over many years to get to this point in his career (and doing it outside of LA, in Austin, too).

i thought the script was good. i can see, conceptually, why it sold. an edgier updating of the old Hitchcock-style thriller: the ordinary man thrown into the middle of an espionage scheme ("Mid by Mideast"?). with the several action set pieces set against the Dubai backdrop, the money will definitely be on the screen there.

characterization could probably use some beefing up, especially the relationship between the architect and his fiancee. they felt a little one-dimensional and his profession as an architect seemed like it could have been better exploited in terms of theme and plot.

storywise, the issue i had was with the overly elaborate plot that the shadowy government forces employ with the architect as their unwitting dupe. there are several technical aspects to the way it unfolds that raised some logic issues in my mind, e.g., wouldn't it be simpler to do it this way, without having to trick him at all?

but what the script does really well from a structure standpoint is escalating the action from the end of the first act and keeps upping the obstacles for the architect to overcome and making him a truly active hero to achieve his goal.

fun popcorn action stuff

Comment

Working...
                          X