Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian Helgeland Background

just saw Robin Hood and thought it was fantastic. he's also done some other great movies i loved like Assassins, LA Confidential and Mystic River and more. what's the background on this guy?

Re: Brian Helgeland Background

http://tinyurl.com/3xnqz9f

Comment

Think he studied screenwriting at LMU in LA...hey gregsonfilm...that was ****ing awesome!!!!!

Comment

This article, about how ROBIN HOOD made it to screens in the form it did, is quite interesting...

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment...sell_crow.html

Comment

Originally posted by gregsonfilm View Post
          pat yourself on the back. i did that already.

Comment

Martell has a pretty good (and lengthy) article on his submarine sex blog.
            It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Originally posted by TheKeenGuy View Post
              This article, about how ROBIN HOOD made it to screens in the form it did, is quite interesting...

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment...sell_crow.html
              that was fascinating. i was wondering how brian managed to craft such a great plot and dialogue. turns out they hired a british playwright just to work on the dialogue. i wonder if that happened on A Knight's Tale too.

here's martell's post that jules referred to:

http://sex-in-a-sub.blogspot.com/search?q=robin+hood

re: the blog post, i agree with scott on his contention that no one would want to watch a movie about robin hood from the sheriff's perspective. wicked gets it right, but then i think if you have a marquee character, you dont center it around a B character.

i think the original idea of the sheriff using forensic science to stop robin hood is the real star here. it was pulled off with perfect execution in sherlock holmes. if the success of sherlock shows us anything, its that maybe scott was right. i dont imagine sherlock being a success if it was based on watson's pov.

i find it hard to blame scott too much. the movie was made and the writers were paid and received credit. its possible without scott, this wouldnt have happened. and id give more credit to the director. spielberg's got his own team of writers as do many top notch directors, and they shape scripts to his vision. saving private ryan turned out well, and sherlock holmes' finished movie showed more energy in some of the scenes than in the script that was bought (whenever sherlock holmes fights, the screenplay didnt have the voiceover revealing holmes' knowledge of hand to hand combat).

on the larger point that it's a shame for a perfectly wonderful screenplay is altered before going into production, i agree. it is. sometimes an inferior product can result, sometimes it stands on its own right. but we can never know. what we do know is there's a movie in theaters that made its money back once international receipts are counted.
              Last edited by lordmanji; 09-22-2010, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lordmanji View Post
                pat yourself on the back. i did that already.
                Dang it! I've been looking for an excuse

Comment

Originally posted by gregsonfilm View Post
                  Dang it! I've been looking for an excuse
                  i know you were. put them guns away

Comment

Originally posted by RTrevino
                    Brian H. did study screenwriting at LMU and is the school's most successful alumnus. In fact, he just participated in a master screenwriter workshop put on for all of us grad screenwriting students, which was rather engaging and unfiltered. In my opinion, he's the top commercial screenwriter working today and is a helluva nice guy. The man has zero ego.
                    While at LMU, Brian won the (no longer in existence) Nissan Focus screenwriting competition.

Comment

Per Bill's blog, the thing that's so frustrating and hard to figure out is: Hollywood sort of gladly accepts that big directors and their big egos, big stars and their egos, studio execs and other big shots, routinely ruin the quality of a script then film. I mean, Hollywood loves to make films about itself where this process and everybody involved with it is ridiculed and satirized. It's not like anybody is denying that greed and ambition and ego and poor judgment often interfere with the filmmaking process to result is lower quality films.

So why is it then that the system never changes and that a script so good that everybody in town was fighting over it STILL gets altered beyond recognition?

Comment

Working...
                      X