Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So-called "Starbeasts"

Interesting post over at Scriptshadow in the comments section. Guy claims that SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN could turn out to be a so-called "Starbeast." I'd never heard the term. Here's what poster JD says:

""Starbeast": Meaning a script by modestly talented writers who have managed to come up with some ideas or concepts that could be great, but which they cannot realize on their own. Script never reaches it's full potential until it is rewritten by better writers. Derived from the name of the original Dan O'Bannion / Ron Shusett spec draft of ALIEN, which Ridley Scott accurately described as having a "Yea gadzooks!" quality, before being rewritten by Walter Hill and David Giler. See also, Dangerous Days/Blade Runner; Ten Soldiers/Red Dawn; Prince Of Thieves/The Town; Johnny Utah/Point Break. The more comments I read, the more this sounds like a Starbeast, folks."

I thought it would be cool to discuss this. Anyone know of other Starbeasts? Is this a common term?
    Last edited by MontanaHans; 10-10-2010, 06:42 PM.

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Re: So-called "Starbeasts"

Never heard of it, but I liked the original draft for the Town better than the shot one -- the ending in particular

Comment

The draft of ALIEN I read had Dan O'Bannon's name on it, and it was awesome. It was pretty close to the movie, though, so I wonder how close to the original it was.
      QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Never heard of the term but the concept isn't unusual or singular in the film world -- this sort of things happens all the time. Off the top of my head I think of "Spoils of War/Three Kings" but there are limitless examples.

Comment

hell, if being a starbeast got me a 1.5 million dollar pay day, I'll be a starbeast any day of the week. you can even call me starbitch for all I care.

-MT
          If Lindsey Lohan has a child, and that child will lead...I will follow.

Comment

You're such a starbitch, toomey.

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

I'm not so sure. I read only half the script and think the writer achieved the hardest part of that particular challenge. Which was landing a difficult balance of tone. If the script is further developed, or the writer replaced, it may well be out of fear and insecurity.
              Last edited by Jules; 10-12-2010, 03:56 AM.
              It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

I'm not buying that this is a term that is used by more than said poster on Scriptshadow who is probably the origin of the term. No one has ever heard of it before and it has no cultural relevance that would lend it to being adopted culturally and it is an incredibly stupid word. Starbeast? Really??

Comment

[email protected] I thought it sounded suspect. But I'm gonna start droppin it at parties regardless. "Dude, I read a total Starbeast the other day. What? You don't know what a Starbeast is?...."

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

@MontanaHans - I think you should stick with "starbitch." When I saw "starbeast" I just rolled my eyes and groaned. When I saw your post with "starbitch," THAT made me laugh!

Comment

Working...
                    X