Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Script reco - Chronicle by Max Landis

Anyone read this yet? It's a Blood List script set up at Fox, and I believe Max is John Landis's kid. (?)
    "Chronicle" is a docu-style account of three Portland teens who become exposed to a mysterious substance in the woods and, as a result, develop incredible powers. The teenagers hone their skills for fun, until personal and family problems turn them against one another."
    It starts slow, and the writing isn't technically amazing (by a long shot) - but despite all that, the script feels very fresh. (Reminds me a little of "Voices" from last years Blacklist.)

It's funny how everyone claims you can't make a superhero movie unless it's based on an existing property. Just goes to show you, Goldman was right - nobody knows anything.

Definitely worth a look, IMHO. Bring on the angry, jealous haterz.
    "People spend so much time focusing on rescuing the princess, they forget how much fun it is to fight the dragon."
    - Simon Pegg & Nick Frost, DAVE

Re: Script reco - Chronicle by Max Landis

I read this a few months ago and really enjoyed it. It'll probably end up being one of my favorite scripts of the year. It was like a found footage version of Akira. Some of the sequences are going to be spectacular to see if and hopefully when this shows up on the big screen, like the camera falling through the sky and the climactic battle.

Comment

Re: Script reco - Chronicle by Max Landis

Originally posted by Ajerd85 View Post
      I read this a few months ago and really enjoyed it. It'll probably end up being one of my favorite scripts of the year. It was like a found footage version of Akira. Some of the sequences are going to be spectacular to see if and hopefully when this shows up on the big screen, like the camera falling through the sky and the climactic battle.
      Max is indeed John's son, and I liked Chronicle a bit. There's no way it will keep that title I don't think, and that's my first, and major criticism.

Overall, I liked the concept a lot. A lot. Very inventive.

However, I felt the characters were VERY bland, written to be very alike each other. Which I understand that they're friends, but once the second act kicks in, it seems as though they drift apart simply because the story needs them to. Didn't feel organic.

The main thing that bothered me were typos, faulty punctuation, and the over-simplification of the screenplay itself. But hey, they sold it like that, so who the hell am I to complain? Just can't believe it got as far as it did.

With all that said, it's going to be a very interesting movie, I'm especially curious to see what he and Josh are able to do with $300,000. I will say this, their script is ambitious, especially after learning that budget figure. All the luck to them, they're friends of friends and if their script is getting made at Fox Searchlight, then it's a warm beacon for everyone at our level.

Comment

Working...
      X