Examples of Epic Horror Scripts/Films...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SkyPolynomial
    replied
    Re: Examples of Epic Horror Scripts/Films...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_leaves

Not a script... but epic and scary.

Leave a comment:

• Shot Across the Bow
    replied

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
    As far as novels are concerned - The Terror by Dan Simmons. It's epic in every way, including page count.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Terror_(novel)

Enjoy.
    Ha, love this novel. I was talking to a producer about a year ago and "The Terror" came up and we were discussing if it was a filmable story. I was of the mind that it was filmable, though it would present significant creative challenges in the third act.

He was convinced that it was not filmable because it wouldn't turn a profit. Few women would go and see a period/horror/survival tale featuring a slew of swarthy men being hunted by a polar bear hopped up on steroids and Red Bull.

I said let's turn it into a romantic comedy between Crozier and the Inuit woman. He laughed at that, dismissing the idea, but I saw a gleam in his eye, he was turning it over in his mind, churning out casting possibilities, trailer moments, red carpet premiers, sequels, ancillary markets... the idea was going to eat away at him until he couldn't bear it any longer, until he simply had no choice but to make this romantic comedy/horror/period/survival tale.

I am still awaiting his phone call. It's going to come any day now. Any day.

Leave a comment:

• Kermet Key
    replied

Originally posted by snwrist View Post
    Page 30??? In a perfect world, they wouldn't rear their heads 'til around page 50.
    Well, in a early draft they didn't make it on the page until around page 55-60, so...

But my thinking was, Act 2 = world turned upside down. However, I figured out a way to get them (sort of) on page one. I'm just working on a couple of other projects.

Leave a comment:

• snwrist
    replied

Feedback - zombies didn't show up until page 30 (start of Act 2).
    Page 30??? In a perfect world, they wouldn't rear their heads 'til around page 50.

Leave a comment:

• Kermet Key
    replied

Spot on. King is one of the masters. SALEM'S LOT and PET SEMATARY are King at his amped up best. IT is a bona fide "epic" horror. Bone chilling too.

THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE is actually pretty epic in its portrayal of the country backroads that the story occupies. Just one big, expansive, isolated nothingness.

Zombie flicks are another good call. I recently finished up a zombie script that, essentially, takes place on one suburban neighborhood block. Epic in ideas and emotion, but contained in location.
    I wrote one that took place in 1750 New Orleans. Needs rewrote. Feedback - zombies didn't show up until page 30 (start of Act 2).

Leave a comment:

• snwrist
    replied

The Stand, Salem's Lot (30 Days of Night was Salem's Lot in Alaska), It, Under the Dome...Stephen King seems to have the horror epic under his pen.
    Spot on. King is one of the masters. SALEM'S LOT and PET SEMATARY are King at his amped up best. IT is a bona fide "epic" horror. Bone chilling too.

THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE is actually pretty epic in its portrayal of the country backroads that the story occupies. Just one big, expansive, isolated nothingness.

Dawn of the Dead, and 28 Days Later, would easily fit the defintion as I understand it. As well as Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Therefore, World War Z would be an obvious inclusion. Most, the dead coming to get us stories would fit the bill, like "Kairo/Pulse" would be another. "The Walking Dead"...again, most zombie stories.
    Zombie flicks are another good call. I recently finished up a zombie script that, essentially, takes place on one suburban neighborhood block. Epic in ideas and emotion, but contained in location.

Leave a comment:

• ihavebiglips
    replied

I would even go so far as to call BUG an epic horror film in the sense that it intricately explores mental deterioration and paranoia. And the "bug" delusion was esp. disturbing and symbolic. I know most people hated the film, but most people are wrong
    Righteous.

Leave a comment:

• Kermet Key
    replied

Originally posted by tuukka View Post
    Kaufman's 70's version of Body Snatchers is the best version of the story, and epic in nature.

The Changeling (1980) is not epic per se, but very classy and similar to Shining. Little seen film, very good. Other horror movies that have limited story scale but feel big and ambitious: The Others and The Ring. Also, The Fly deals with big ideas.

Omen and Rosemary's Baby, of course.

Dawn Of The Dead is epic. The remake is actually good too, even if the directing and acting are much better than the sloppy writing.

The Birds and Jaws.

The Crazies from last spring is surprisingly good, and rather apocalyptic.

Seven is not a horror movie per se, but fits the bill otherwise.
    Dawn of the Dead, and 28 Days Later, would easily fit the defintion as I understand it. As well as Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Therefore, World War Z would be an obvious inclusion. Most, the dead coming to get us stories would fit the bill, like "Kairo/Pulse" would be another. "The Walking Dead"...again, most zombie stories.

I'm currently reading Guillermoro Del Toro and Chuck Hogan's "The Strain," which seems to me to be the prequel to Richard Matheson's "I Am Legend" (so there's two more for the fire).

The Stand, Salem's Lot (30 Days of Night was Salem's Lot in Alaska), It, Under the Dome...Stephen King seems to have the horror epic under his pen. For epic horror done wrong see M. Night Shyamalan's "The Happening." (EDIT: While The Stand takes place primarily across America, the others engulf entire towns with worldwide implications).

Graphic novels/Comic Books - Hellboy, Preacher, Sandman (if you think that one is just fantasy then you missed the arc about the serial killer convention and The Corinthian), Girls, Evil Ernie/Lady Death (guy trying to wipe out the world so that the woman he loves can come back to life)...

For me, the best horror seems to be epic.

Leave a comment:

• snwrist
    replied

The Birds and Jaws.
    Yep, and PSYCHO. In fact, many Hitchcock films would qualify here. FRENZY, for sure. Even REAR WINDOW...despite it all taking place in one apartment, an apt. courtyard, and binocular lens into another apt. What kind of films would Hitchcock be making today if he were still alive?

Friedkin is a master at this type of stuff, as is Kubrick. The two quintessential epic horror films I can honestly name are THE EXORCIST and THE SHINING. I would even go so far as to call BUG an epic horror film in the sense that it intricately explores mental deterioration and paranoia. And the "bug" delusion was esp. disturbing and symbolic. I know most people hated the film, but most people are wrong

Leave a comment:

• snwrist
    replied

Scripts:
    SPRAWL
    BOY SCOUTS VS. ZOMBIES
    KITCHEN SINK
    SKYLINE

Movies:
    EVENT HORIZON
    HELLRAISER
    ZODIAC
    HOUSE (1986)
    PLANET TERROR
    DRAG ME TO HELL
    THE ROAD
    SUNSHINE
    SKYLINE, as in, the recently released invasion film? Haven't seen it, but heard bad things. SPRAWL was a decent thriller, but I'm skeptical as to how "scary" it will be on film. Then again, JOYRIDE doesn't necessarily sound scary on paper...but it certainly translated well to the silver screen. I heard about the other two scripts, but they sounded a bit too horror-comedy. Will check out on recommendation.

Very good calls on Event Horizon, Hellraiser, Zodiac and Sunshine. Never really thought of them as epic horror films per se, but now that you mention it...they're perfect examples. Will have to rewatch these.

Leave a comment:

• MontanaHans
    replied

Scripts:
    SPRAWL
    BOY SCOUTS VS. ZOMBIES
    KITCHEN SINK
    SKYLINE

Movies:
    EVENT HORIZON
    HELLRAISER
    ZODIAC
    HOUSE (1986)
    PLANET TERROR
    DRAG ME TO HELL
    THE ROAD
    SUNSHINE

Leave a comment:

• bb6634
    replied

Recently read Justin Cronin's The Passage (optioned by Ridley Scott), a post apocalyptic vampire novel, is epic in scope (and page count). The first book of the upcoming trilogy covers a hundred years and the next two promise to cover a millennium. It's reminiscent of Stephen King's The Stand.
    As far as movies, would the Alien films, taken as a whole, count?
    Also the "Watch" films and books: NightWatch, DayWatch, and the forthcoming TwilightWatch, and the concluding LastWatch.

Leave a comment:

• AK7576
    replied

As far as Dan Simmons is concerned I loved his (I think first) novel about India and Cali.

Leave a comment:

• tuukka
    replied

Kaufman's 70's version of Body Snatchers is the best version of the story, and epic in nature.

The Changeling (1980) is not epic per se, but very classy and similar to Shining. Little seen film, very good. Other horror movies that have limited story scale but feel big and ambitious: The Others and The Ring. Also, The Fly deals with big ideas.

Omen and Rosemary's Baby, of course.

Dawn Of The Dead is epic. The remake is actually good too, even if the directing and acting are much better than the sloppy writing.

The Birds and Jaws.

The Crazies from last spring is surprisingly good, and rather apocalyptic.

Seven is not a horror movie per se, but fits the bill otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• snwrist
    replied

Thanks for all the recommends! I'm definitely going to check out The Terror and other Dan Simmons novels.

Might not be exactly what you're looking for, but if you can get your hands on KILLING ON CARNIVAL ROW or THE MANY DEATHS OF BARNABY JAMES, I think you'll be pretty pleased.
    LOVED these, esp. Barnaby James.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X