Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question of originality?

I'm particularly interested in one of the latest big spec scripts that sold. It's called Buried. I'm definitely going to watch when I get the chance. But I want to understand why this script stood out so much and had so much anticipation surrounding it.

I ask because it doesn't strike me as overly original. I am not bashing it. In fact I am really interested in reading the script, which I haven't done yet. But isn't this very similar sounding to the CSI episode (interestingly it was done by guest director Quentin Tarantino). But that's beside the point. Even without CSI, there have been lots of films that have dealt with being buried alive. Maybe not the entire film, but lots of scenes in lots of films are set in a coffin.

After I saw I that CSI episode, I actually thought to myself "that's done it, we're not going to see any films set in a coffin for a good few decades atleast", but here we are with 'Buried'.

What got this script noticed? I guess rather than the idea it is the execution of it and his powerful writing.

Anyone else any thoughts?

Re: A question of originality?

Fanatic -- Sometimes you can drive yourself crazy trying to figure this stuff out and it's not worth it. Personally, I didn't care much for the Buried script either. But it was clear the writer had some talent.

And I think what interested people about Buried at the script stage was that they saw something that would make a very interesting and difficult transition from page to film. And sometimes that alone is enough to excite people. If you can make people say, "Wow how are they going to do that?" Or... "I can't wait to actually see that on screen." Then you've done pretty well.

And here's what you have to remember -- especially with lower budget fare. You can have 400 people say PASS. But if ONE PERSON who has the means to make the movie says yes -- then that's all it takes.

And Buried is particularly interesting, because you had that one yes. You had an up-and-coming director. And you had the "Sexiest Man Alive"

And yet... even with all those elements, Lionsgate, who bought the movie for US distribution decided they didn't like it enough to really show it. SO it's made barely a million here. Although it's somewhere close to 20 overseas,

Now, the real question I think you're asking is what makes a script stand out that people clamor for it, right?

Let me know when you find the answer.

Comment

Send an email to whoever cut the check for the script. That's the only source that can give a real answer.

Comment

Originally posted by JJBones View Post
        Fanatic -- Sometimes you can drive yourself crazy trying to figure this stuff out and it's not worth it.

And here's what you have to remember -- especially with lower budget fare. You can have 400 people say PASS. But if ONE PERSON who has the means to make the movie says yes -- then that's all it takes.
        i agree. there are so many movies of various quality that get made every single day. you'll just drive yourself crazy.

true - you only need one person with power to champion your script. he could have chosen it for whatever reason - ie. maybe he was friends with reynolds or owed him a huge favor. reynolds was looking for a vanity project and Buried was it. of course this is complete speculation on my part and i made it up on the fly but why bother? there was some reason it was greenlit. there is no secret code.

btw - i saw the movie and really liked it... even with some plausibility holes.

Comment

I can't tell from the responses who's read the script and who hasn't. That's important because I think it makes a big difference reading the script when it is just a script rather than reading it after seeing the film.

I haven't seen the flick yet so I don't know how Buried does on screen but it is a fantastic, engaging read, in my opinion. I kept turning pages. I read a lot of scripts that are alright and I can make it to the end but I figure I've got something special if it MAKES me want to turn to the next page until I'm done. Buried was that way for me. And I've been told it was that way for a lot of other people.

Comment

Originally posted by sbbn View Post
            I can't tell from the responses who's read the script and who hasn't. That's important because I think it makes a big difference reading the script when it is just a script rather than reading it after seeing the film.

I haven't seen the flick yet so I don't know how Buried does on screen but it is a fantastic, engaging read, in my opinion. I kept turning pages. I read a lot of scripts that are alright and I can make it to the end but I figure I've got something special if it MAKES me want to turn to the next page until I'm done. Buried was that way for me. And I've been told it was that way for a lot of other people.
            That's exactly what I was going to say.
            Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Working...
            X