Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Scripts, Disappointing Movies

Buried - Script: an intense read that I finished in under an hour. Movie: a lot of whining by Reynolds, couldn't get past the fact he was using up all his oxygen by screaming and the lighter. Reminded me more of a nightmare the Verizon wireless guy would have with all the disconnected calls and lack of bars. Funny how in the script none of that mattered.

Tenure - Script: hilarious characters, a sympathetic lead. Movie: the big foot best friend was just kinda pathetic, jokes fell flat, surprisingly lifeless throughout.

Inglourious Basterds - Script: imaginative, thrilling. Movie: campy, the Bear Jew was totally unintimidating, lacked the intensity as it read on the page, Aldo/Pitt's accent was atrocious and for a leading man, not very commanding. Should've been more Valkyrie in tone and less Cabin Fever (more suspense, dread, closeups, handheld cam)

Re: Great Scripts, Disappointing Movies

I thought the first 10 or so pages of Ghosts of Girlfriend's Past were fantastic, but the first 10 minutes or so fell flat for me.

Comment

Read "Memoirs (Remember Me)" and was blown away by the ending.

Movie took out all the hints that were sprinkled throughout the script so that the ending would be more surprising, but it just came off as implausible. And the Vampire Kid is just not a good actor.

Comment

Tonight, He Comes (aka Hancock).
        sigpic
        NOTES / COVERAGE
        10,000+ Screenplays
        DD Thread Facebook
        [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by EvilRbt View Post
          Tonight, He Comes (aka Hancock).
          Seconded.
          Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Years ago I read "8mm" (Nicolas Cage). I was blown away by it. It didn't work anywhere near as well onscreen.

Comment

Originally posted by lordmanji View Post
              Buried - Script: an intense read that I finished in under an hour. Movie: a lot of whining by Reynolds, couldn't get past the fact he was using up all his oxygen by screaming and the lighter. Reminded me more of a nightmare the Verizon wireless guy would have with all the disconnected calls and lack of bars. Funny how in the script none of that mattered.
              Just saw Buried. Really enjoyed the script. Movie bored the hell out of movie. I remember when I was reading the script I thought, "man, this is some fantastic writing" but I couldn't get my mind wrapped around the idea that it would translate well to the screen. I wish after seeing the film I could say I think I was wrong...

Comment

Most people won't agree, but Salt. I loved the script -- probably one of the best action scripts I've read (or at least favorite). But when I heard they changed the gender of the lead to a female I just couldn't see it playing out the same -- and I'm a female. Angelina just didn't do it for me in that role.

I also agree on Memoirs -- amazing ending, the movie killed it by not making it a twist but just a tragic ending.
                Last edited by ducky1288; 01-22-2011, 07:59 PM.
                Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Originally posted by ducky1288 View Post
                  Most people won't agree, but Salt. I loved the script -- probably one of the best action scripts I've read (or at least favorite). But whe I heard they changed the gender of the lead to a female I just couldn't see it playing out the same -- and I'm a female. Angelina just didn't do it for me in that role.

I also agree on Memoirs -- amazing ending, the movie killed it by not making it a twist but just a tragic ending.
                  Agree with ya on Salt- changing the gender and removing the great part of the wife and kid (separated, etc.) just made the whole thing fall flat.
                  Words... they don't arrange themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Rathmon View Post
                    Agree with ya on Salt- changing the gender and removing the great part of the wife and kid (separated, etc.) just made the whole thing fall flat.
                    I loved the script and actually enjoyed the movie, despite the changes. Probably because the changes were so dramatic that it didn't even feel like a movie made from the script I read.

Comment

Most people won't agree, but Salt. I loved the script -- probably one of the best action scripts I've read (or at least favorite). But when I heard they changed the gender of the lead to a female I just couldn't see it playing out the same -- and I'm a female. Angelina just didn't do it for me in that role.

Jog my memory on this one, Ducky, what happened at the end of the script and what happened at the end of the movie?
                      It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

MAJOR SPOILERS FOR ANYONE WHO HAS NOT READ MEMOIRS -- DON'T READ BELOW:

Well the same thing happens, but in the script it talks about how his brother, Charlie, was killed in the WTC attack. Of course you assume it was the 9/11 one because everyone forgets about the 1993 attack. So then it's a twist when you learn it's 2001 and Tyler is in the WTC.

In the movie I think his brother committed suicide and so when Tyler ends up in the WTC it just turns out to be a tragedy that he was there at a bad time.

It was a tragedy in the script too, you just didn't see it coming -- especially in that way.
                        Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Thanks.
                          It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

im one of those who dont agree. i loved the second half of the film where they go into the whitehouse. as i remember it, the script had something different and was a lot of mindless action from midpoint on. salt the movie was the script done even better.

Comment

Faster.
                              "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Working...
                              X