Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hangover II credits

I've noticed that the original's writers aren't getting "characters created by" credits. This is highly unusual. Wasn't that an original screenplay?

Re: Hangover II credits

I could be totally wrong... So I'm asking here.

But... Did you "notice" this credit omission on IMDB?

Never assume IMDB is accurate. Particularly before a movie has actually been released.

If, however, you got this information from some more credible/ official type listing of credits -- then I and the WGA would be equally baffled.

Comment

Well, two sources:

1) IMDB. Next to the writers credits, 'WGA'. This usually indicates the credits have been approved by the guild. Unlike most other credits on IMDB, not just anybody can update those WGA credits.

2) The credit blocks on all the trailers omit the original writers and have "written by Phillips, Mazin, Armstrong".

Comment

Stumped everyone, huh?

I would've thought more people would be concerned by this erosion of the original writers' credits. Guess not.

Comment

Here's the credit list that I have:

'The Hangover Part II'
          A Warner Bros. Pictures release presented in association with Legendary Pictures of a Green Hat Films production.
          Produced by Todd Phillips, Dan Goldberg.
          Executive producers, Thomas Turk, Scott Budnick, Chris Bender, J.C. Spink.
          Co-producers, David A. Siegel, Jeffrey Wetzel.
          Directed by Todd Phillips.
          Screenplay, Phillips, Craig Mazin, Scot Armstrong, based on characters created by John Lucas, Scott Moore.
          I suspect that there's a rule about how 'based on characters created by' isn't one of the credits that need to be in trailers, etc etc. I dunno though. Why should any credits have to be mentioned on a trailer? It's a selling tool for the film - like the 'Marley & Me' logo on a the bags of Purina Dog Chow. From a practical point of view .. why should they be obliged to list credits on either? What would the early teaser trailers for 'Super 8' have been like if they'd been obliged to give the name of the writer & executive producers? It would defeat the purpose of being a teaser! I'm sure some contracts do insist on it .. but it doesn't seem like it would automatically be a good idea.

And IMDB's great - but it's not infallible. The way that they get the 'official' credits from the WGA and utterly refuse to document anything else is one of the real weaknesses in their system, because it limits the reasons movie lovers might have to love a particular film.

For example - 'To Kill a Mockingbird' was a great film. I click on it on IMDB. I discover the guy who won a frigging Oscar for the screenplay was still writing films up until last year. Yep - his credits stretch over 61 years! But if I try to find what films he has worked on I'm stopped - because IMDB has promised that they will never link his name to certain films even though he worked on them.

So I never had a chance to show an interest in 'The Great Debaters' when it was in the cinemas - because the reference source I used promised to hide the information from me.

And to someone like me who geeks out over information - that's tragic.

Mac
          Last edited by Mac H.; 05-23-2011, 03:25 AM.
          New blogposts:
          *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
          *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
          *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
          *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

Originally posted by Mac H. View Post
            Here's the credit list that I have:
            Why should any credits have to be mentioned on a trailer? It's a selling tool for the film - like the 'Marley & Me' logo on a the bags of Purina Dog Chow. From a practical point of view .. why should they be obliged to list credits on either? What would the early teaser trailers for 'Super 8' have been like if they'd been obliged to give the name of the writer & executive producers? It would defeat the purpose of being a teaser! I'm sure some contracts do insist on it .. but it doesn't seem like it would automatically be a good idea.
            I think it's called the billing block. Most teasers don't have them, but trailers do. Example:

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2196348185/

All the actors' names and behind the scenes people's names (including writers) are flashed up at the end. No mention of "characters created by". Most tellingly - Armstrong, Mazin, and Phillips receive "written by" as apposed to "screenplay by".

Somebody knows the inside story here. C'mon out with it.

Comment

No "inside story." All of this is formalized. There are rules that dictate this, not politics.

Comment

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
                No "inside story." All of this is formalized. There are rules that dictate this, not politics.
                Well the "rule" is if you write an original screenplay that gets produced, you get "characters created by" on any sequels.

That's why Jeffrey Reddick gets a credit on each Final Destination film. And so on. Only in the case of someone high profile declining credit, like Cameron did for Terminator Salvation, is this rule waived.

Frog WGA website:

9. "Based on Characters Created by"
                "Based on Characters Created by" is a writing credit given to the writer(s) entitled to separated rights in a theatrical or television motion picture on each theatrical sequel to such theatrical or television motion picture.

Comment

Sorry I've been so AWOL. Little Ray is closest.

If you get separated rights (which is a little more complicated than simply writing an original screenplay that gets produced... you can read about them more here: http://artfulwriter.com/?p=44), then you receive a "characters created by" on all sequels.

The inclusion of credits on promotional materials is a question of negotiation. The basic rule of thumb is that if the director receives a credit on promotional materials, then the credited writers of the story and screenplay must also receive a credit. It's in the WGA MBA, and it is not something than can be waived by individuals.

C.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Mazin View Post
                    The inclusion of credits on promotional materials is a question of negotiation. The basic rule of thumb is that if the director receives a credit on promotional materials, then the credited writers of the story and screenplay must also receive a credit. It's in the WGA MBA, and it is not something than can be waived by individuals.

C.
                    That's a pretty good rule of thumb. It covers the mystery teaser trailer as well as the Purina dog food example.

It's always reassuring when rules are sensible.

Thanks for the insight,

Mac
                    New blogposts:
                    *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
                    *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
                    *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
                    *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

Thanks for replying, Craig.

So does that mean, Lucas and Moore are getting "Characters created by" credit?

Because in the article you claim they'd qualify for separated rights because...

"Write an original story (treatment) or screenplay and story, and receive “story by” or “written by” credit for doing so"

Which they did for the original.

And thus according to the article they are entitled to "Sequel Payments & Credit: If the company produces a sequel to the screenplay (for theatrical or television), the writers with separated rights receive WGA minimums for those sequels. In addition, the writers get a “Based on Characters Created By” credit for theatrical sequels"

My point about Cameron was that although he well and truly qualified for "characters created by" credit for Terminator Salvation, he must've declined. I could be wrong here.

Comment

Working...
                      X