Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stand Up Straight

Am I being overly sensitive over this new spec on Tracking B? "Raised to be gay"???
    http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Re: Stand Up Straight

Based on the info you have given me: yes.

Comment

Have you read it yet?
      Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
        Have you read it yet?
        I have not, I must admit. But since I am of the opinion that one's sexual preference is something you are born with, like the color of your eyes...

Comment

I suspect that's the very point of this story, but I haven't read it either.

Comment

Does the logline reveal anything else?

I'm thinking if the conceit is a gay couple raises a kid to be gay, this would confirm the belief of conservative "straights" that people can be indoctrinated into the gay lifestyle. No?
            Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

A high school senior, raised to be gay by his overbearing, feminist mother, risks family, friends, and a much-needed college scholarship when he falls in love with the most popular girl in school.

Comment

What if the title were: "People From Long Island Are All Stupid"? Just the title? Well, for starters, the story could be an affirmation of the notion of the title. Or, it could be a rejection of it. Or, it could be about aliens living in a distant galaxy.

Or, consider the title, "The Kids Are All Right". Well, gee, why wouldn't they be? Should one be upset that the title inherently suggests that they might not be?

And, if someone wants to write a script that directly questions nature/nurture, you want to blow it off simply because of the title? Wow.

Even the title you cite doesn't say that it ends up making the kid gay. Flip the situation: Can't you imagine a story about a gay kid whose parents nevertheless "raise him/her to be straight"?

This is about as as close as one can come to "Don't judge a book by its cover." Same thing, but this is a script. Oh yeh - And you're a writer. Wow.

Comment

A high school senior, raised to be gay by his overbearing, feminist mother, risks family, friends, and a much-needed college scholarship when he falls in love with the most popular girl in school.
                  UGH. I'm with PJ -- terrible.
                  Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

What if it were this:

"A high school senior, raised to be straight by his overbearing, uber-religious father, risks family, friends, and a much-needed scholarship when he falls in love with the most popular boy in school."

Comment

What if it were this:

"A high school senior, raised to be straight by his overbearing, uber-religious father, risks family, friends, and a much-needed scholarship when he falls in love with the most popular boy in school."

Equally UGH... just the opposite end of the same false stereotypes-R-us extreme.

Comment

This spec is bad and everyone trying to make it happen should feel bad.
                        Thank you for reading my opinion.

Comment

Emily - I thought you made that up, but that was the real logline.

To add a just a few more details:

Pitched as being in the vein of "Mean Girls- and "Glee,- story follows a high school senior, raised to be gay by his overbearing, feminist mother, who risks family, friends, and a much-needed college scholarship, when he falls in love with the most popular girl in school.

Writer: Eirene Donohue
                          Genre: Coming-of-age | Comedy

Script was a semi-finalist in the 2010 Nicholl Fellowship.
                          "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Manchester View Post
                            What if the title were: "People From Long Island Are All Stupid"? Just the title? Well, for starters, the story could be an affirmation of the notion of the title. Or, it could be a rejection of it. Or, it could be about aliens living in a distant galaxy.

Or, consider the title, "The Kids Are All Right". Well, gee, why wouldn't they be? Should one be upset that the title inherently suggests that they might not be?

And, if someone wants to write a script that directly questions nature/nurture, you want to blow it off simply because of the title? Wow.

Even the title you cite doesn't say that it ends up making the kid gay. Flip the situation: Can't you imagine a story about a gay kid whose parents nevertheless "raise him/her to be straight"?

This is about as as close as one can come to "Don't judge a book by its cover." Same thing, but this is a script. Oh yeh - And you're a writer. Wow.
                            Wha?

Comment

I'm not offended by the premise, but it does sound kind of boring. Let me guess, mom paints his toenails pink?
                              "All of us trying to be the camera behind the camera behind the camera. The last story in line. The Truth" Chuck Palahniuk - Haunted

Comment

Working...
                              X