Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cogan's Trade

Has anyone here read Cogan's Trade (AKA Killing Them Softly) by Andrew Dominik based on the novel by George V. Higgins?

If so, what did you think of it?

Re: Cogan's Trade

Andrew Dominik is easily my favorite up and coming Director. I was hoping Forster was going to be the next big thing, but he's been a little up and down.

I haven't seen the script yet (nor do i plan to before the film's release).

Comment

Originally posted by Paradis View Post
      Andrew Dominik is easily my favorite up and coming Director.
      Really? I liked Chopper but haven't managed to see Assassination... What is it you like about him?
      sigpic

Website
      Tweets
      Book

Comment

Andrew Dominik is easily my favorite up and coming Director.
        He directed Chopper in 2000, so I don't think it's fair to call him up and coming. He's been around a while and simply takes his time with his projects.

Comment

Originally posted by nic.h View Post
          Really? I liked Chopper but haven't managed to see Assassination... What is it you like about him?
          Assassination of Jesse James is probably my favourite film in the last half decade. There Will Be Blood was the only other film in that discussion for me. I love Dominik's eye for capturing the moment, the ambiguity of his characters, the story telling, the whole thing. Jesse James was cinematic bliss. ...but that's just me.

Originally posted by nathanq View Post
          He directed Chopper in 2000, so I don't think it's fair to call him up and coming. He's been around a while and simply takes his time with his projects.
          Well you can go ahead and qualify him by the numbers of years, since chopper. I'm going say that he's up and coming because he's just that from the business perspective.

..He was attached to McCarthy's "Cities of the Plain" (3rd in the border trilogy?) but it looks as though thats a wash for now. too bad.

Comment

Assassination of Jesse James is probably my favourite film in the last half decade. There Will Be Blood was the only other film in that discussion for me. I love Dominik's eye for capturing the moment, the ambiguity of his characters, the story telling, the whole thing. Jesse James was cinematic bliss. ...but that's just me.
            +1

Fantastic director. And that is my #1 movie of all time.

I'm looking forward to Cogan's Trade. Loving the risks he and Brad Pitt are making with their films.

Comment

Originally posted by one seven spectrum View Post
              +1

Fantastic director. And that is my #1 movie of all time.
              Had Malick not released the New World in '05, then I would have said it was easily the best film since the turn of the century. It stands up against some of the greats from the past era.

Comment

I've had it for a while but I just read the script for Cogan's Trade and can definitely recommend it. At the very least, it's certainly unique and risky.
                It's probably closer to Chopper than Jesse James but even so it stands apart in his admittedly very short filmography.
                Long stretches of dialogue and close attention paid to characters who would be minor blips in other films. Dark when you think it'll be funny and even stranger when you think it'll be dark, without veering into pastiche.
                The ending itself came as a major surprise in how much of a whimper it is, a monologue by the main character that may or may not be the film's coda.
                I wonder if they'll keep it or change it and if they keep it, what will people's reaction be? It'll be divisive, that's for sure!

Comment

Working...
                X