• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sc111
    replied
    Re: Max Landis is Killing It.

Originally posted by figment
    Read the August link, it's worse. Then consider he talked of wanting to pitch Wonder Woman to Warner Bros. (In the Hollywood Reporter last month). What might that pitch/script look like?
    Oh -- I did read the original interview too. It is bad. My point is his opinions of women -- and himself -- are so narcissistic and infantile it's more laughable than offensive to me. Of course, his attitude makes it more likely he's only attractive to infantile narcissistic women. Whether or not this public display will impact how people view his work or his handling of female characters, we'll see. But - no - I wouldn't want him writing Wonder Woman.

Leave a comment:

• sc111
    replied

Originally posted by figment
    Wish I hadn't read the provided Max Landis link on the newest August/Mazin podcast. That was just ick.

Somebody needs to make him shut up before he ruins his career.

Especially when he just directed Geena Davis in a movie and Geena Davis founded an entire organization devoted to improving gender equality in media. I can't even imagine her horror if she ever reads that interview.

http://www.seejane.org/index.php
    I read that Landis interview thru Jezebel. And, yes, it has everyone up in arms. The thing is, I thought his comments about women, himself, sex, were so infantile it didn't bother me as much as it did other women. I mean, here's a quote from him:

i consider myself rare amongst guys in that i still sort of think of hooking up with me as like a privilege someone could have?
    Indeed, I laughed out loud.

Leave a comment:

• nativeson
    replied

Chronicle is just a recycled Heroes for the teen set. Pure marketing. Somebody had to write it so the suits could cash in. Enter...

Leave a comment:

• Arch Stanton
    replied

Max Landis has a personality disorder that would unnerve Caligula. Looking forward to his eventual self-immolation.

Leave a comment:

• ewtaylor
    replied

I rented it and was very disappointed. My wife wanted to turn it off but I told her everyone is raving it has to get better. I was wrong, it was kinda dumb and very boring.
    So what exactly did I miss that you guys thought was so great? The ending was predictable and really so was much of the movie (thanks to the trailers).

Leave a comment:

• jboffer
    replied

The article mentions what we've heard before: he had a vision for Chronicle 2 that Fox didn't like. They wanted Chronicle again. Max wanted to evolve it. I'm glad he tried. Chronicle was fine, but I don't want to pay to see the same film again.

First I heard about his directorial debut (or I heard and forgot). I can't find anything about it, but I'm positive I'll see it.

Leave a comment:

• sherbetbizarre
    replied

Max Landis off Chronicle 2:

I've been off Chronicle 2 for months now. Fox had a different direction they wanted to take the series (...) Ultimately, I'm just very grateful to Fox for making a film as close to my original script as Chronicle was. For making the film at all. So yeah it's sad that as of right now I'm not involved in the sequel, and don't know what it's about even, but ultimately I can't complain. [...] Chronicle 2 is still probably happening, just not with my involvement as of now. It's a bummer, but there are no real hard feelings. They hired new writers on it. I'm sure they'll announce soon. Just hope this answers the questions I've been getting everyday.
    but...
    As a screenwriter, I've been incredibly lucky so far. And hell, I start directing my first feature on Monday.
    http://www.slashfilm.com/chronicle-s...er-max-landis/

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Thanks for the link. For those interested in listening, be aware he doesn't really talk much about screenwriting.

His ideas about retelling Peter Pan from the point of view of Captain Hook and making a Bond movie where two of the previous Bonds come back as villains to destroy the whole doble-0 program are curious to listen to, but I'd rather listen to some of his original stuff instead.

Leave a comment:

• absolutepower
    replied

I can't imagine he doesn't become annoying by about the second minute.

Leave a comment:

• CColoredClown
    replied

Yeah, those Pan and Bond pitches were amazing and I'm not a fan of re-imagined fairy tales.

He was so pumped discussing them on this interview, so imagine how he pitches them in a room? No wonder he ripped off his shirt once.

Leave a comment:

• m.j.r.
    replied

Just finished it. Very interesting guy.

He pitches a cool idea for a trilogy set in the world of Peter Pan as well as his take on James Bond, hint, the villains are Timothy Dalton and Pierce Brosnan.

Fun.

This guy is gonna rule the world.

The end of the podcast deals with "how to pitch". Good stuff.

Leave a comment:

• CColoredClown
    replied

http://www.nerdist.com/2012/11/nerdi...ndis/#comments

Leave a comment:

• Jules
    replied

Originally posted by ATB View Post
    tuukka and figment,

But quantity does not make quantity.

Good on him.
    Actually quantity does make quantity.

Leave a comment:

• ATB
    replied

tuukka and figment,

You're both right. 70-something scripts is definitely hard work. But quantity does not make quantity. So to each his own.

I don't know if Max Landis is fortunate to be graced with the ability to marry quantity with quality. But he's certainly experienced both.

Good on him.

Leave a comment:

• mgwriter
    replied

There are some undeniable strengths in Max Landis' writing career that we can probably incorporate into our own, such as being a work-aholic who writes tons. It would probably help most of us to be more focused and prolific.

There are aspects of Max Landis' career that can do absolutely nothing for other aspiring writers, such as him being born into a creative family with clout in Hollywood. So it's probably better to leave that aspect of his carer alone because there is nothing anyone can post that will undue his fortunate situation, nor create similar circumstances for anyone else but him.

Take what might help, leave the rest alone.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X