Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aaron Sorkin's Crisp Witty Dialogue

With that being a staple of his writing, I wonder how many times has he watched His Girl Friday?

Re: Aaron Sorkin's Crisp Witty Dialogue

Comes from reading, studying the greats, absorbing life, and developing a fine ear. Like hearing all those in between notes that only Hendrix and Clapton heard. Sorkin's giving you dialogue designed for maximum dramatic impact, but he builds toward that. Meaning no matter how long the spoken sequence is he always manages to cut to the bone.

It can be just as riveting the best action sequences.
    "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
    -Maya Angelou

Comment

I've been watching SPORTS NIGHT lately for the first time, and I can tell that he's influenced at least in part by David Mamet's dialogue.

Remember that he came out of theatre... so yeah, David Mamet, Tom Stoppard, Clifford Odets, Edward Albee, etc. I think working in the same medium as those playwrights like those had a substantial influence on his style.

Comment

I would sell a kidney for Sorkin's writing talent.
        Thank you for reading my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by huge_tree View Post
          Or... Just pawn it, write the script, sell that, then get your kidney back out of pawn.

Comment

Originally posted by huge_tree View Post

But then we wouldn't have huge_tree's writing talent. (Plus, what if your other kidney ends up going bad?)

Sorkin's is his and his alone. Same for Mamet, and Wilder, and Paddy, and Simon and whoever else. Let's celebrate our uniqueness. Dat's what I say.

-Maya Angelou

Comment

Originally posted by WriteByNight View Post
              But then we wouldn't have huge_tree's writing talent. (Plus, what if your other kidney ends up going bad?)

Sorkin's is his and his alone. Same for Mamet, and Wilder, and Paddy, and Simon and whoever else. Let's celebrate our uniqueness. Dat's what I say.

I won't lose mine just because I took Sorkin's. I'd have both. I'd be like the Skylar of screenwriting.
              Thank you for reading my opinion.

Comment

Hey, if it works, rock on!
                -Maya Angelou

Comment

Please, all Sorkin fans - answer my West Wing post in the TV forum. (Some of you already have.)

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Nic
                  sigpic

Website
                  Tweets
                  Book

Comment

Interestingly, both HIS GIRL FRIDAY and Sorkin come from a theater background. As does Mamet. Coincidence? Any playwrights around?

Comment

Working...
                    X