No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Black List 2011

Originally posted by hotzappa11 View Post
    Is there any chance that someone could confirm that all the Black List + Brit List scritps are available for d/l on trackingb.com? Cheers!
    They aren't. There is a link to download all of the BL lists out there, but you probably won't find it easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodi View Post
      Wow, really? I rolled my eyes at that one. We've had superhero saturation and I think (hope, as a moviegoer) zombie/vampire saturation can't be far behind.
      Far behind? You mean here already right?

And same on eye roll lol. But reading through the loglines of the black list I do try to think about what unique twists have been applied to old formula. And then think about how I can do the same to my ideas. How to be fresh basically, not to copy.
      Last edited by SkyPolynomial; 12-14-2011, 03:39 PM.
      -chris

Comment

Originally posted by SkyPolynomial View Post
        Far behind? You mean here already right?
        You're right, I must be feeling generous (or just worried I may offend my g/f's True Blood obsession).

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
          No - Black List has always been mostly sold scripts, often with stars and start dates. Many are *assignments*!

So it's kind of like those THR "Ten To Watch" lists where everyone on the list had their breakthrough film or whatever last year. I think it's good for the scripts that haven't sold yet, because it calls attention to them and maybe gets some company that was on the fence when their CE begged them to buy it to actually cut a check. But the list isn't *discovering* any scripts.

They need to do a list of completely unsold scripts, and a list of unreppeds... the way they do the Hit List of specs.

- Bill
          Bill,

I'd say a good 50% (total guesstimate on my part) or more have been specs that have gone out and did not sell (some of which get a 2nd chance after being on the Black List). And yes, several have been assignment scripts.

They already have a list for unrepped writers. They are screenwriting competitions.

The Hit List had several sold scripts. The biggest differences between the Hit List and the Black List is the level of attention the black list receives, and the far stricter requirements for who can vote.

Best,

Michael
          twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Yeah, I never got the name "Black List." Seems like it should be a list of scripts Hollywood is afraid to touch. Instead it's the opposite. None of these scripts have been 'Black-listed.' They seem loved and quite popular.

Looking foward to "In Case of Moon Emergency." I love that premise.
            "I need someone who laughs at all my jokes. You know; honest feedback."
            - C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

Originally posted by gridlock'd View Post
              Yeah, I never got the name "Black List." Seems like it should be a list of scripts Hollywood is afraid to touch. Instead it's the opposite. None of these scripts have been 'Black-listed.' They seem loved and quite popular.

wasn't there a TV movie in the 80s with the same premise? i remember it being hyped a lot in commercials as a kid but never saw the actual show

Comment

Interesting but why the revisionist history?

Apollo 18 which is similar just came out ( and nobody saw ) and Ron Howard already did Apollo 13.

I'd take that idea and instead of having it in the past, make it the first flight of a second generation of moon landings. Apollo 13 + 2001 A Space Odyssey. Both were huge hits... easy sell. Get my agent on the phone, pronto!

Wait...hit the breaks. Hollywood already tried that twice in 2000 with Red Planet and Mission To Mars. There really are no original ideas!

OK... new idea, it's a story about a scientific genius who dies in a car crash and has his brain transplanted into a monkey. It's Frankenstein + Monkeybone!

Back on track,
                14 votes: "St. Vincent de Van Nuys" by Ted Melfi

When a 12-year-old in need of a babysitter moves in next door to a misanthropic aging retiree whose life mainly consists of gambling, hookers and drinking, the elder becomes an unlikely mentor to the boy.

This one caught my attention. Could be another Gran Torino.

and these two...
                11 votes: "Grim Night" by Allen Bey, Brandon Bestenheider

A family has to defend themselves from the Grims, strange creatures who attack Earth and kill thousands one night every year.

11 votes: "Hidden" by Matt Duffer, Ross Duffer

An elevated horror-thriller about a family hiding in a bomb shelter after escaping a mysterious outbreak.

Because I like bad movies.

And finally...
                10 votes: "Two Night Stand" by Mark Hammer

After an extremely regrettable one-night stand, two strangers wake up to find themselves snowed in after sleeping through a blizzard that put all of Manhattan on ice. They're now trapped together in a tiny apartment, forced to get to know each other ways more than any one-night stand should.

I think this has some potential to be really damn funny.
                Last edited by christopher jon; 12-15-2011, 05:59 PM.
                Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

I thought it was based on NASA's actual contingency plans if something went wrong on they couldn't get off the moon. But yeah, I really don't know what the story is. That's probably part of what makes it so intruiguing.

Not familiar with the TV movie. Coulda been.

Thought Self/Less was an interesting idea too.

Two Night Stand sounds like a great play. Don't know about movie.
                  - C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

Originally posted by christopher jon View Post
                    Interesting but why the revisionist history?
                    Why not? It's a movie. Indiana Jones is revisionist history (unless you actually believe that's how certain events played out during World War II...)

Originally posted by christopher jon View Post
                    Apollo 18 which is similar just came out ( and nobody saw ) and Ron Howard already did Apollo 13.
                    Errhh... no. Moon Emergency is similar to Apollo 18 and Apollo 13 in the same way that Apollo 13 is pretty much identical to Armageddon.

I thought it was based on NASA's actual contingency plans if something went wrong on they couldn't get off the moon. But yeah, I really don't know what the story is. That's probably part of what makes it so intruiguing.
                    You are correct. It's basically retelling the moon landing with the disaster of crashing into the moon. I loved this screenplay. I was a bit wary of the premise because it is so unique but it didn't take long before I was completely hooked and couldn't put it down.

Comment

it's been done -- Lost in Space, but grounded in reality

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
                        it's been done -- Lost in Space, but grounded in reality
                        Has anyone actually read this screenplay before making these wild comments about what Moon Disaster is and isn't like?? These comparisons people are making are just nuts (I'm going to assume the Lost in Space comparison is just a joke... I hope).

What is it like? It's like the actual moon landing in 1969 but with a disaster. That's the best comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by sbbn View Post
                          Has anyone actually read this screenplay before making these wild comments about what Moon Disaster is and isn't like?? These comparisons people are making are just nuts (I'm going to assume the Lost in Space comparison is just a joke... I hope).

What is it like? It's like the actual moon landing in 1969 but with a disaster. That's the best comparison.
                          -- i think you know the answer is, no since the slow down of internet script trading.
                          -- and you should be able to tell when people are just having fun and being sarcastic by now.
                          -- chill out, dood!

Comment

So, in other words, it's basically Pluto Nash without Eddie Murphy? Pass.

Thanks for the warning.
                            - C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

So, in other words, it's basically Pluto Nash without Eddie Murphy?
                              Yup.

Comment

Yup.
                                Nah, I'm reading it now. Digging it.

I read that one about Jurrassic Park called...uh, "Jurrasic Park." Gotta say, well structured but really boring. Title should have tipped me off to the level of creativity.
                                - C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

Working...
                                X