X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fortean
    replied
    "Highest Grossing Female Screenwriter"

If the emphasis was about being "female" and the "best" screenwriters, I'd not be looking at the gross box office receipts as a measure of talent.

If women want a "female" role model with screenwriting talent, I'd suggest Frances Marion, June Mathias, and Ruth Prawer Jhabvala, (instead of someone whose screenplays have only been nominated for Razzie awards).

"As one of the first screenwriters to include details such as stage directions and physical settings in her work, Mathis saw scenarios as a way to make movies into more of an art form. Much of the present standard screen writing styles can be attributed to her. Mathis later credited her success to a strong concentration on plot and theme: 'No story that did not possess a theme has ever really lived.... Occasionally one may make money and perhaps be popular for a time. But in the end it dies.'" ~ "June Mathis" @ Wikipedia

Leave a comment:

• AJ_FIN
    replied
    Re: Melissa Rosenberg Highest Grossing Female Screenwriter

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by AJ_FIN; 06-08-2020, 11:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• sc111
    replied

Congrats to Melissa - and any screenwriter regardless of gender, race or religion -- for being recognized for writing a blockbuster.

However, the fact that this news is segregated under "female" screenwriters bugs me.

I haven't seen any announcements heralding "highest grossing African American screenwriter ... or gay screenwriter ... or Catholic screenwriter ... and so on and so on.

Leave a comment:

• Mac H.
    replied

A while ago I looked at how box office varied based on the gender of the credit screenwriter.

It was in response to a inane UK film council study that somehow managed to stuff up basic maths.

The UK study is here:womenscreen_-_FINAL_09.06.06.pdf

The Box office for films in their study:
    • Without a female screenwriter: $19.4 mil box-office
    • With a female screenwriter: $6.2 mil box-office

It would obviously be a stupid argument if someone claimed that the study proved 'if you get a female screenwriter involved, you can kiss goodbye to 68% of your box office.'

That's because there's also a huge budget discrepancy by gender - and we know that budget makes a big difference to film box office.

I suspect it was due to the style of film. Since it was a UK study from 2009 I checked it by looking at a list of films that involved UK production in 2008.

Here's a random sample of 2 films with male directors:
    • Wild Target "A hitman tries to retire but a beautiful thief may change his plans"
    • GI Joe "An elite military unit takes on an evil organization led by a notorious arms dealer."

Here's a random sample of 2 films with female directors:
    • Skellig "Michael's life is changed forever as an angel saves his sisters life who has been diagnosed with a heart problem at birth."
    • The unloved "A film that gives a child's eye view of the U.K.'s government-run care system for orphans and children in danger"

Clearly the first two are going to be more likely to be mass-market / big-budget !

Whether the style of film is a deliberate choice (perhaps women directors prefer to make the style of film like 'The Unloved' instead of GI Joe) or perhaps they aren't being offered the opportunity. If they aren't given the opportunity - why not? Perhaps they preferred not to do mindless pulp action films earlier in their careers and so they don't have the experience now for expensive action films ?

I don't know the answer, but it's an interesting phenomenon.

Mac
    (PS: Yes - I know I was lazy and changed to 'director' instead of 'screenwriter' part way through the discussion. I suspect the conclusion still holds)

Leave a comment:

• Filmfelinemeowmeow
    replied

Originally posted by christopher jon View Post
    Does that mean on a date she buys or am I still stuck with the bill?
    Oh boy, you're one helluva catch, huh? BUY unless she offers, dick. LOL

Leave a comment:

• Furious Anjel
    replied
    Re: melissa rosenberg highest grossing female screenwriter

Originally posted by Filmfelinemeowmeow View Post
    Juice sayin' come you on, aim as feminist as the next guy. Really. Kudos to her.

Leave a comment:

• christopher jon
    replied

Does that mean on a date she buys or am I still stuck with the bill?

Leave a comment:

• nathanq
    replied

Originally posted by figment
    Yes, I'm sure women everywhere are just cringing at the thought of making gobs and gobs of money.
    Yes that's right, because in the US, talent = how much money you make.

Leave a comment:

• Filmfelinemeowmeow
    replied

Originally posted by Furious Anjel View Post
    Me-yow! Lots of male writers get props for crappy but successful films. What's the big deal?
    Juice sayin' come you on, aim as feminist as the next guy. Really. Kudos to her.

Leave a comment:

• nathanq
    replied

Originally posted by cshel View Post
    I say, hurray for the chicks! A rising tide lifts all boats.
    Come on, this has to be embarrassing for women that such a feat would be achieved by someone who wrote some of the most demonstrably awful films

...mind you they were derived from really terrible novels, but nonetheless...

Leave a comment:

• Richmond Weems
    replied

Is she grosser than any other female? I've known some really gross females in my time.

HH

Leave a comment:

• Recreant
    replied

Never read anything by Rosenberg but one chick who deserves to rake in the cash is Lorene Scafaria. Mad skillz!

Leave a comment:

• cshel
    replied

I say, hurray for the chicks! A rising tide lifts all boats.

I also say, as I would if they were male writers, I wish there were some original screenplays involved in those numbers, as opposed to just adaptations, etc. But nevertheless, it's good business.

Leave a comment:

• Furious Anjel
    replied

Originally posted by Filmfelinemeowmeow View Post
    Tia Carrara also won a grammy, it don't mean she's the best. It just means she sold a lot and there was not much competition
    Me-yow! Lots of male writers get props for crappy but successful films. What's the big deal?
    Last edited by Furious Anjel; 12-21-2011, 02:37 PM. Reason: Original comment was poorly worded.

Leave a comment:

• Filmfelinemeowmeow
    replied

Tia Carrara also won a grammy, it don't mean she's the best. It just means she sold a lot and there was not much competition

Leave a comment:

Working...
X