Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "THE LUGNUT LIST" -- The Mechanic's Top 10 of 2011

In addition to all my other adventures this year, including newborn Ripley and "BRAKE" (Spring 2012: ), I still wrote coverage on 253 screenplays.

So, in no particular order, here's my TOP TEN of 2011:

DINNER AT EIGHT by Robert M. Gustafson (Comedy)
    An intricately planned dinner party becomes rather explosive, as does the dessert, when an unexpected guest arrives who can "explain the panties."

STONE by Olov Lindstrom (Action)
    When a grotesque weapon of mass destruction – an orb which triggers instant death in anyone who sees it – falls into the wrong hands, a young Homeland Security agent finds himself in a race against time to prevent a psychopath from killing millions.

WARD G by Brian Penn (Psychological Thriller)
    Four scientists are imprisoned on a psych ward, where they spend their days conducting experiments as part of their therapy, but they begin to suspect their work is actually being used by the military for a weapons project.

BIRTHRIGHT by Steven Hill (Comedy Drama)
    An uptight Jew and his dysfunctional best friends head to the Homeland where they’re determined to find his soul mate.

ELECTROPOLIS APOCALYPSE by S. Steiger Miller (Thriller)
    When her teenage sister disappears at a rave in the California desert, a young woman ventures into the colorful and drug-addled world of electronic music to find her, and does battle with an army of thugs who work for the sadistic event organizer.

CHILLED MILK by Rachael Migler (Drama / Thriller)
    A failed reporter must race against time to investigate a sinister scheme in order to save her newborn daughter, who's been taken hostage, while evading those desperate to stop her.

THE BROKEN CROSS by Steve C. Yoon (Sci-Fi / War / Action)
    At the end of World War II, an elite squad of U.S. paratroopers are sent back in time to assassinate Hitler who has escaped to the 14th century and is poised to take over medieval Europe with an army of steampunk Nazi knights.

COLD SNAP by Samuel J. Winokur (Thriller)
    Forced to take a detour in blizzard conditions, nine people become stranded in the Vermont wilderness and find themselves in a brutal fight for survival against mother nature.

DARKEST BEFORE THE DAWN by Robert Long (Sci-Fi Thriller / Teen)
    A struggling teenager discovers his father is behind a series of mysterious abductions, his new girlfriend is the next target, and the only way to save her is to ensure she’s the next victim.

TORMENTED by Glenn Forbes (Psychological Thriller)
    At a run-down rural estate, a paranormal presence physically and psychologically attacks a therapist and her support group. To survive the weekend, they are forced to abandon the healing of psychoanalysis and confront the dark psychosis of their inner demons. [Optioned]

- - - - -

I also want to give honorable mentions to a few writers who came close to being on the list: (Hey, it's tough picking 10 from 253.)

Souja Boyz by Simon Paniora
    Future King Arthur by Robert E. Burke
    The Highwayman by Dale Pitman
    Paul And The Hooker by Anthony Akiniz
    Remove Before Flight by Len Anderson IV
    A Just Vengeance by Stephen Willis
    Embattled by Steven Palmer Peterson
    Holy Shi† by Chris Paradis
    Pillar of Fire by Kent M. Williams
    Ghost Train by Patrick Sweeney
    Tell by Chad Mercer
    Victim's Rights by Bruce Spiegelman
    Journey Into Vengeance by Curt and Scott Burdick

Every year, people ask how many "Considers" I award. I use four recommendations in my coverage: Consider, Consider w/ reservations, Pass w/ reservations, and Pass. In 2011, the number of full Considers I awarded was less than ten.

I really enjoyed reading everyone's work, so as long as I continue doing this (or BULLET RUN goes into production) please keep them coming. www.screenplaymechanic.com
    Last edited by EvilRbt; 02-03-2012, 08:10 AM.
    sigpic
    NOTES / COVERAGE
    10,000+ Screenplays
    DD Thread Facebook
    [email protected]

Re: "THE LUGNUT LIST" -- The Mechanic's Top 10 of 2011

Sitting here kind of stunned. Thanks for doing this Andrew....great list. I'm honored to be a lugnut. Congrats to everyone at DDP who made it.

Comment

A hardy handshake to those awarded a lugnut (is it a 4 or 5 lug wheel andrew?)

One thing you can be certain of with the mechanic - if you're a lugnut, you got some skillz. Good job people.
      Last edited by Paradis; 12-31-2011, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Congratulations to the winners, and thanks to Drew for the honorable mention.
        Patrick Sweeney

Comment

Cheers Andrew - off the bench this year, but that's still pretty good. 253 - wow that's a lot.

I'd love to know what more of the loglines are. Hopefully 2012 brings good news for one or more of these projects.

And congrats to the top ten, and the other honourable mentions.

Here's my logline

SOULJA BOYZ

An FBI agent enlists in the Army and the war in Iraq, to stop a dangerous L.A street gang hidden inside its ranks, from secretly training for a new war back home.
          Last edited by niwa; 12-31-2011, 03:24 PM. Reason: forgot my logline

Comment

EvilRbt - I think this may be the type of list we really need to see: scripts that are not already sold and in pre-production. Cool!

- Bill
            Free Script Tips:
            http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Progress is progress. I made the honorable mention list this year! I'll keep telling myself all year, that even though I have smaller Lug nuts than those top ten guys, size doesn't matter.

Logline for Victim's Rights:

A military veteran, who lost a leg in combat, wages a high-tech war back home against the gang leader who terrorizes the neighborhood he grew up in.
              If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
              Dave Barry

Comment

Centurio, that's a pretty cool logline. Sounds like it's a fun read.

Congrats to everyone who made the list!

Does anyone have a link to lists of old? Last year, year before? Just curious.

Comment

Okay, I found 2010 - um, wasn't that hard... but I'm still looking for 09 list. Gracias.

Comment

Pretty sure 2010 was the first year.
                    If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
                    Dave Barry

Comment

Originally posted by Centurio View Post
                      Pretty sure 2010 was the first year.
                      This is correct. I obviously couldn't do a Top Ten list while working for the studios and 2010 was the first full year I read exclusively for private clients.
                      sigpic
                      NOTES / COVERAGE
                      10,000+ Screenplays
                      DD Thread Facebook
                      [email protected]

Comment

Congrats to all. Awesome list.
                        Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

-- Rule 85, Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (updated by cmmora)

Comment

GHOST TRAIN: An outlaw's son chases the heist of a lifetime on a railway carrying phantom gunslingers to Hell.
                          Patrick Sweeney

Comment

Well, hell's bells...I didn't know such a list(The Lugnut is the new Black) even existed. Maybe I should put my penis down and consider beginning to work on the rewrite...Although it would be easier to simply start seriously questioning Drew's acumen.

Sincere CONGRATS!! to those who actually deserve it.

Robert (The M stands for Midnite) Gustafson

Comment

Congratulations to all who made it! Thanks for the lugnut - this is really cool.

253 - wow. Would love another post to know your trends and takeaways of the year.

Comment

Working...
                              X