• Show
Clear All

• Lamb of God - Diablo Cody

Anybody read this? Thoughts?

Re: Lamb of God - Diablo Cody

Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
    Anybody read this? Thoughts?
    --edit--

I looked it up. I thought it was based on a humor novel. Different thing.
    @MacBullitt

Comment

I've just finished reading it. I'm not a big Diablo fan, but even for her standards it was pretty bland. Feels very much like a tv movie for teenage girls. Most characters sound pretty much the same (Diablo-esque). Maybe her fans will still enjoy it, though.

When I read Synecdoche New York I thought "well, that's what happens when you leave Kaufman unsupervised", and felt that Kaufman had gone a bit too far in his weirdness. Then I watched the movie, and it probably is my favorite Kaufman. So who knows, maybe Cody will cast and direct the hell out of Lamb of God and make it into a nice film.

Comment

Seemed more personal therapy than story or screenplay. I thought Juno was great, then read that one about the demonic Megan whatever-her-name-is and thought is was some sort of fan-fiction joke until the movie trailer came out, and then tried to start this one and just... really could not get into it at all.

Comment

It's difficult to comment on Diablo Cody.

The people who think she's a great writer will blindly defend her regardless of what she writes or how her movies do at the box office.

Jeff Shurtleff
          Last edited by Jeff_Shurtleff; 05-01-2012, 12:01 AM.
          "Some men see things the way they are and say why? I see things that never were and say, why not?"

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...4669871&v=info

Comment

I'm not a Diablo Cody fan, don't even like her work, but what she's done so far is high concept. High concept character pieces, if you want, but still high concept.

Comment

I'm not a Diablo Cody fan, don't even like her work, but what she's done so far is high concept. High concept character pieces, if you want, but still high concept.
              No. They're not 'high concept'. Not even close.

HH

Comment

United States of Tara: A woman struggles to find a balance between her dissociative identity disorder and raising a dysfunctional family.

Lamb of God: a teenage girl with a very religious upbringing and victim of massive burns in an accident, breaks away from her family and her faith and takes a trip to Vegas to see what's she's been missing out on.

Jennifer's Body: A newly possessed cheerleader turns into a killer who specializes in offing her male classmates. Can her best friend put an end to the horror?

How are those not high concepts?

Comment

United States of Tara: A woman struggles to find a balance between her dissociative identity disorder and raising a dysfunctional family.

Lamb of God: a teenage girl with a very religious upbringing and victim of massive burns in an accident, breaks away from her family and her faith and takes a trip to Vegas to see what's she's been missing out on.

Jennifer's Body: A newly possessed cheerleader turns into a killer who specializes in offing her male classmates. Can her best friend put an end to the horror?

How are those not high concepts?
                  Because they're not.

Possibly Jennifer's Body, but, no, the others aren't "high concept".

There's been numerous threads and debates and arguments about "high concept" here on DD, but I think the basic definition of high concept is something that's easily imagined in a single sentence.

"Dinosaurs cloned from DNA in a zoo-like environment."

"A lawyer cannot tell a lie for 24 hours."

That kinda stuff.

We can argue about what high concept IS, but it's easier to see what high concept ISN'T.

TARA and LAMB require a lot more to get us on board than those loglines provide. And JUNO and YOUNG ADULT are character-driven pieces, not high concept.

HH

Comment

Read the script, and I found it fun and deep. Diablo-haters have to give it a rest, and maybe learn something.
                    "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Need to know what "High Concept" can be roughly defined as?

Read this: http://www.top10films.co.uk/archives/674

It's close enough. But from this article alone you'll see that none of Diablo Cody's stuff is high concept. But who cares whether it is or isn't.

Do people seriously think their opinions about her work on a random forum matter?

Why all the haters? I don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by one seven spectrum View Post
                        Do people seriously think their opinions about her work on a random forum matter?

I haven't read any of her work but your post is a funny one.

Comment

of course its not high concept. she writes small personal stories, like noah bombach or whit stillman or alexander payne, or million other... guys. i actually never knew there was such blowback hate against her since i joined this board.

you can like her, not care for her, think shes interesting, think shes a tad overrated but interesting... but hate?

and it oddly coincides with the lena dunham hate. two hugely critically acclaimed women, who write small, maybe narrow, personal stories about ... women.

im not even freaking feminist but it is all weird to me.

Comment

what she's done so far is high concept.
                            I think you're confusing high-concept with "interesting."

Comment

Originally posted by one seven spectrum View Post
                              Need to know what "High Concept" can be roughly defined as?

Read this: http://www.top10films.co.uk/archives/674

It's close enough. But from this article alone you'll see that none of Diablo Cody's stuff is high concept. But who cares whether it is or isn't.

In a nutshell, there are people, aspiring scribes and average schmoes, who don't like the fact that an ex-stripper won as Oscar for writing an original screenplay. Thing is, Cody (aka Brook Busey) never really aspired to be a stripper in all of her life. She doesn't even look like one (I think she's cute)! "Candy Girl" (which all of her haters should read before bulls***ting about her) is a fun memoir of her experience, and some of the elements are in "Lamb".

When I first read "Juno, it reminded of my work, I saw a kindred spirit (though she's more ribald than me) and I spiritually fell in love with her, and I wish her all of the luck in the world.
                              Last edited by Madbandit; 05-01-2012, 06:48 PM.
                              "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Working...
                              X