Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lamb of God - Diablo Cody

Juno cost 7.5 million and made 231 million worldwide.
    Jennifer's Body cost 16 million and made 31 million worldwide.
    Young adult cost 12 million and made 22 million worldwide.
    United States Of Tara has run for three seasons.

There is a good reason to assume, that after worldwide DVD/BR sales and rentals, and TV rights, all of her movies have made a decent profit. Small, prolific movies often make 75% of their money on the home market. And Tara run for three seasons, it probably wouldn't have, if it were a money-loser from the start.

Cody has a niche. She writes low budget movies for small audiences. Even Juno was one, it just broke out against all odds.

There is nothing wrong with making lower budget movies for smaller audiences. A lot of my favorite filmmakers are like that.

And yes, i would have Cody's career in a second, if I could.

Comment

Originally posted by tuukka View Post
      United States Of Tara has run for three seasons.

There is a good reason to assume, that after worldwide DVD/BR sales and rentals, and TV rights, all of her movies have made a decent profit. Small, prolific movies often make 75% of their money on the home market. And Tara run for three seasons, it probably wouldn't have, if it were a money-loser from the start.

Cody has a niche. She writes low budget movies for small audiences. Even Juno was one, it just broke out against all odds.

There is nothing wrong with making lower budget movies for smaller audiences. A lot of my favorite filmmakers are like that.

And yes, i would have Cody's career in a second, if I could.
      Amen.

Comment

Originally posted by tuukka View Post
        United States Of Tara has run for three seasons
        You forgot P&A, plus the fact that it's (xx) worldwide, which means that the studio doesn't get all the money. Which means Jen and Young did lose some money.
        The question is : Do you work in the business?

Comment

Originally posted by Takeshiro View Post
          You forgot P&A, plus the fact that it's (xx) worldwide, which means that the studio doesn't get all the money. Which means Jen and Young did lose some money.
          I didn't forget P&A, there just aren't any numbers out there, that I'm aware of. The marketing budgets for the films were probably around 5-10 million, which would be typical for small time releases.

As a rule of thumb, films make roughly 50% of their money on the home market. And studios get roughly 50% of both theatrical and home release. Unfortunately these numbers vary with every release, and the numbers are never officially released by the studios. So we can only ever talk on a very general level.

Anyway, calculating the costs and grosses this way, Cody's films probably made a decent profit, or stayed even.

Comment

To Harold: please don't put me in the same boat as the people who has a beef with Cody, because, although I may have harsh against them, I'm being honest in the fact that if you're a writer who's jealous of another, you really have no business being one.

When one of us here gets a break, usually we congratulate the person. When it comes down to Cody, man...she has committed screenwriting sin by putting her soul on the page! Burn the witch! Burn her!

Like I posted before, I like her work, because it reminds me of mine. The only difference is that I'm not produced or repped. Do I worry about not making it? Sure, but I keep on writing and not have animosity towards about the person.
            Last edited by Madbandit; 05-08-2012, 10:13 AM.
            "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Working...
            X