• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BurningWorld
    replied
    Re: Zak Penn's Avengers Script

Originally posted by Jules View Post
    It sounds like you've seen the film?
    Just thoroughly pissed off at the draft by Scott Cooper that I read. Low Dweller had a unique tone, setting and atmosphere. Out of the furnace was mediocrity.

Leave a comment:

• Jules
    replied

Originally posted by BurningWorld View Post
    They BUTCHERED Ingelsby's script to the point I don't even know why they used it as a draft. It's set in present day with characters watching SportCenter. It is a COMPLETE different movie. And I mean COMPLETE. There is nothing left of his story, which is horrifying.
    It sounds like you've seen the film?

Leave a comment:

• fanatic_about_film
    replied

Just out of interest, has anyone here actually read The Avengers script? Pm me.

Leave a comment:

• BurningWorld
    replied

How do you know TLD has changed that much, is it the word, or have you read it? I really dug that script, am very curious to see it's current state. I believe it's now called Dust to Dust, after being called Out of The Furnace for a while.
    They BUTCHERED Ingelsby's script to the point I don't even know why they used it as a draft. It's set in present day with characters watching SportCenter. It is a COMPLETE different movie. And I mean COMPLETE. There is nothing left of his story, which is horrifying.

Leave a comment:

• Jules
    replied

How do you know TLD has changed that much, is it the word, or have you read it? I really dug that script, am very curious to see it's current state. I believe it's now called Dust to Dust, after being called Out of The Furnace for a while.

Leave a comment:

• Richmond Weems
    replied

Originally posted by JJBones View Post
    (see Low Dweller/ Out of the Furnace as an example) -- even the title and character names are different and yet Ingelsby will still get shared story because the script evolved from his original into something that has nothing left from the original... Not a word, not a comma, nothing. Would be awesome if it won an Oscar. Technically, Ingelsby would be granted a statue and allowed on stage for something he didn't write a single word of. (see Reitman's bitterness re: sharing the stage with Sheldon Turner)
    He'd be okay with it. Same as Ring Lardner, Jr. getting his Oscar for MASH.

HH

Leave a comment:

• JJBones
    replied

As JCGary said, "Points" and "Residuals" are two different things. Any profit participation is beyond WGA control and separately negotiated...

Residuals are a WGA requirement and there are so many different ways they are figured: Foreign distribution fees, copyrights, cable and broadcast TV airings, VOD, DVDs, etc... etc... -- Basically every different platform triggers a residual of some kind.

It doesn't matter how many writers worked on a project -- only those who receive story or screenplay credit get them. Which is why credits are so important. It breaks down thusly:

70% of resids go toward screenplay (to the individual credited or shared equally among all credited)
    30% go toward story (again, divided by however many have credit)
    So in the case of Avengers, we can figure that Joss is getting 85% of the residuals and Penn is getting 15%

Again those percentages are of the total residuals generated from all the various distribution platforms. They have nothing to do with points or initial payments for writing services.

First writers on a WGA contract are always guaranteed a minimum of shared story credit (see Aaron Sorkin's views on this -- they're hilarious). So even if subsequent writers change 100% of everything in the script, the original writer will still get shared story --

(see Low Dweller/ Out of the Furnace as an example) -- even the title and character names are different and yet Ingelsby will still get shared story because the script evolved from his original into something that has nothing left from the original... Not a word, not a comma, nothing. Would be awesome if it won an Oscar. Technically, Ingelsby would be granted a statue and allowed on stage for something he didn't write a single word of. (see Reitman's bitterness re: sharing the stage with Sheldon Turner)

Leave a comment:

• zz9
    replied

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
    He's Marvel's favorite screenwriter - his fingerprints are on all of the scripts. X-MEN 3 probably isn't a good example, since Simon Kinberg was on that - but (except for the uncredited) he's the only writer on the Ed Norton HULK (well, I'm sure Ed Norton did his pass).

My guess is that Penn did all of the early drafts before they hired the director... who did his draft. Because Weadon didn't get a co-story credit as well, the story beats probably remained exactly the same.

And why should Penn kiss Whedon's butt in interviews when Whedon trashes Penn in every interview? This is standard director trashing original writer stuff so that more of the spotlight is on him. Wait until someone does this to your script...

- Bill
    Joss did get co story credit, and sole screenplay credit.

Looks like Whedon is Marvel's favourite screenwriter now, since they hired him to write/direct Avengers 2 and mastermind all the movies that will lead up to it, as well as develop a Marvel TV series.

And I suspect the elements that stayed the same were the ones dictated by Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and Hulk in their set ups for Avengers. Whedon came on board long after they had been released so he had to keep his script consistent with them, and therefore Penn's script. Loki as villain, cosmic cube, alien attack, Hulk being able to focus his rage, Cap being new to this era etc.

Leave a comment:

• jcgary
    replied

Originally posted by dmatthew View Post
    Yup. You sure do. I think it's like 25 percent of total writer residuals credited.

Nice tidy sum for sure! But remember that 25 percent of residuals is then only 25 percent of 1.2 percent of the gross producer profit for all profits after first run.
    You're confusing residuals with points. They're two different things.

Leave a comment:

• Jules
    replied

After the first run... what are you saying exactly?

Leave a comment:

• dmatthew
    replied

Do you get residuals/points if you only have story credit?
    Yup. You sure do. I think it's like 25 percent of total writer residuals credited.

Nice tidy sum for sure! But remember that 25 percent of residuals is then only 25 percent of 1.2 percent of the gross producer profit for all profits after first run.

But it should add up to seriously big money over time.

D.

Leave a comment:

• SteveLilley
    replied

I want to say I read it in Lennon and Garant's book. Full disclosure - that's going off of memory, so I could totally be wrong about that.

Leave a comment:

• Jules
    replied

Martell will chime in.

Leave a comment:

• SteveLilley
    replied

I thought you did. Not as much as a sole writing credit or even a co writing credit, but I was pretty sure you got something.

Don't you? Now you're making me doubt myself

Leave a comment:

• Jules
    replied

Do you get residuals/points if you only have story credit?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X