Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advanced Pages Reaction Thread: Contact: Stalingrad

Just wanted to give a special shout-out to Anagram on his remarkable 3 pages from "Contact: Stalingrad."

I'm always impressed when writers can get across such big, sweepings idea in so few words. Real pro work.

And I like the title (though I agree with Derek that it's probably not doing you any favors.) But it sounds intelligent, just like the writing on display. Hope we get to read more from you in the future.
    Congrats!
    "I need someone who laughs at all my jokes. You know; honest feedback."
    - C. Montgomery Burns

Re: Advanced Pages Reaction Thread: Contact: Stalingrad

Hey thanks a lot for the encouragement! Much appreciated gridlock'd.

Best of luck to you as well.

Comment

Thought they were pretty crisp as well. What's the logline? I'm interested to see how a piece like this would fare in the marketplace. Seems like it has a few "strikes" against it (foreign setting, period), but that may make it all the better if the project really kicks ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Anagram View Post
        Hey thanks a lot for the encouragement! Much appreciated gridlock'd.
        Hey, that's what we're here for, right? Nice work.

Originally posted by Levenger View Post
        Thought they were pretty crisp as well. What's the logline? I'm interested to see how a piece like this would fare in the marketplace. Seems like it has a few "strikes" against it (foreign setting, period), but that may make it all the better if the project really kicks ass.

It's definitely cost-prohibitive, but I like that it's thinking big. It's a gamble, but it could pay off. Looks to me like it already has.

Yeah, I'm curious about the logline too.
        - C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

Originally posted by gridlock'd View Post
          Looks to me like it already has.
          Are you saying that b/c of the Pros feedback or is there something else I'm missing? No offense to Agram but having a good 3 pages is just a tiny step in the way of telling a complete and compelling movie.

But yes, I think that if there's a compelling enough American "window" into the story could be cool. **** Russia is becoming such a solid BO market it could help to throw them a bone.

I'm hoping this is Enemy at the Gates meets Battle: LA

Comment

Yeah, I gotta agree -- that was a seriously strong opening.

But I'm not surprised. Anagram knows his shit.

Comment

Are you saying that b/c of the Pros feedback or is there something else I'm missing? No offense to Agram but having a good 3 pages is just a tiny step in the way of telling a complete and compelling movie.

But yes, I think that if there's a compelling enough American "window" into the story could be cool. **** Russia is becoming such a solid BO market it could help to throw them a bone.

I'm hoping this is Enemy at the Gates meets Battle: LA
              Yeah, I just meant because he impressed 2 of the pros so much. That's no small feat, either. Okay, it aint a three picture deal, but it's a good start.

Harold's pages intrigued me too. Sounds like a bit like an underrated favorite of mine, "King Of Comedy."
              - C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

Originally posted by SuperScribe View Post
                Yeah, I gotta agree -- that was a seriously strong opening.

But I'm not surprised. Anagram knows his shit.
                Thanks for the encouragement guys.

I actually entered that script in the Nicholl this year. I love war movies but I was advised war movies aren't selling now after a few box office failures, so this is more of a writing sample.

Best way to sum it up is Alien meets Enemy at the Gates.
                Last edited by Anagram; 05-28-2012, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Badass writing dude. Well done.
                  Ring-a-ding-ding, baby.

Comment

Funny how writers react to strong writing.

I've dipped in and out of the Advanced section for a while just to see if my views marry up to the pros (come on! We all do it).

But Anagram's pages were the closest I've been to PMing someone who posted there and complimenting them on their skills. And anyone who knows me on here knows I can be a hard-to-please so and so.

But this was a smooth as silk read and the action description is PRO.

In fact, if it's cool with the writer, I'd like to read the whole script. Looks like it could be a blast!

(...... no pun intended)

Comment

Originally posted by Harbinger View Post
                      Funny how writers react to strong writing.

I've dipped in and out of the Advanced section for a while just to see if my views marry up to the pros (come on! We all do it).

But Anagram's pages were the closest I've been to PMing someone who posted there and complimenting them on their skills. And anyone who knows me on here knows I can be a hard-to-please so and so.

But this was a smooth as silk read and the action description is PRO.

In fact, if it's cool with the writer, I'd like to read the whole script. Looks like it could be a blast!

(...... no pun intended)
                      Thanks for the compliment Harbinger.

I don't really have people to bounce stuff off of so I'm happy to send you the script. Will pm you.

Comment

That was a good read.

Two questions just for thought.

Is Sasha the main character? If so, is there a way to hint at her essence? Of who she is? Even in a super subtle symbolic way? Is the the only one to fight to leave the space where she couldn't breathe? Is there a moment - even like a few seconds -- where she is alone and we can see something about her that we can only see when she is by herself. Once she sees her lover, her role as scared but sensitive lover takes over.

And then the other question is related to the thread that was started in screenwriting "forum" -- If this is a horror sci-fi, should there be a hint of either or both of these genres. The opening images suggest murkiness and that there will be a hidden thing that can't be seen but there is no suggestion of sci-fi or horror. Or maybe the image of the bulls-eye on his eye is unclear. Are you describing what we see from the shot's pov or are you saying there is literally a bulls-eye imprinted on his eye...like he's a robot or something not human?

Out of context, I am not sure that these questions are criticisms but they are something that might be worth discussing or considering.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Mercurio View Post
                          That was a good read.

Two questions just for thought.

Is Sasha the main character? If so, is there a way to hint at her essence? Of who she is? Even in a super subtle symbolic way? Is the the only one to fight to leave the space where she couldn't breathe? Is there a moment - even like a few seconds -- where she is alone and we can see something about her that we can only see when she is by herself. Once she sees her lover, her role as scared but sensitive lover takes over.

And then the other question is related to the thread that was started in screenwriting "forum" -- If this is a horror sci-fi, should there be a hint of either or both of these genres. The opening images suggest murkiness and that there will be a hidden thing that can't be seen but there is no suggestion of sci-fi or horror. Or maybe the image of the bulls-eye on his eye is unclear. Are you describing what we see from the shot's pov or are you saying there is literally a bulls-eye imprinted on his eye...like he's a robot or something not human?

Out of context, I am not sure that these questions are criticisms but they are something that might be worth discussing or considering.

Jim
                          Hi Jim, thanks for your comments!

I know Derek thought these were actually the first 3 pages of the script, but they're actually about 4 pages in.

Sasha is one of the main characters, though not the main one. Her first scene shows her losing everything important to her in her life and sets up the beginning of her story.

As for whether a Sci-Fi movie has to have the sci-fi element in the first few pages, I had to mull that over for a while.

Logically I can see the appeal, but here the sci-fi kicks in a little bit later. It's actually the inciting incident.

So I think it works in this script, though I guess you'd have to actually see what I've done to see if I'm right.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Comment

Second Harbinger, I'd love to read as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Anagram View Post
                              Hi Jim, thanks for your comments!

I know Derek thought these were actually the first 3 pages of the script, but they're actually about 4 pages in.

Sasha is one of the main characters, though not the main one. Her first scene shows her losing everything important to her in her life and sets up the beginning of her story.

As for whether a Sci-Fi movie has to have the sci-fi element in the first few pages, I had to mull that over for a while.

Logically I can see the appeal, but here the sci-fi kicks in a little bit later. It's actually the inciting incident.

So I think it works in this script, though I guess you'd have to actually see what I've done to see if I'm right.

Thanks again for the feedback!
                              If you want to send or post the first pages, I would be curious to see them.

And it would seem to me that most movies declare their genre in the opening image or scene. I am sure people will list a bunch of exceptions but I guess the question is why wouldn't you want your movie to be about what it is from the very first image/sentence/scene.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X