No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advanced Pages Reaction Thread: Contact: Stalingrad

Originally posted by Jim Mercurio View Post
    If you want to send or post the first pages, I would be curious to see them.

Jim
    Cool, sent you a PM.

ETA:

Originally posted by Jim Mercurio View Post
    And it would seem to me that most movies declare their genre in the opening image or scene. I am sure people will list a bunch of exceptions but I guess the question is why wouldn't you want your movie to be about what it is from the very first image/sentence/scene.

Jim
    I can see the logic in that. And there's definitely a dark atmosphere established early on in the script.

But, though there are a few hints to the sci-fi angle in the first few pages, I wanted to delay it until the inciting incident because it made it more shocking. I just feel like it worked better.
    Last edited by Anagram; 05-29-2012, 10:37 AM.

Comment

I just read the pgs b/c of the glowing reviews. I agree, the pgs are v good. I like how the lean writing pulls you thru the read. Very evocative.

One thing-- Don't know if this matters but Sasha is normally used as a boy's nickname in Russia. It's short for Alexander. Am not aware if girls used it circa WWII.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

Originally posted by stvnlra View Post
        I just read the pgs b/c of the glowing reviews. I agree, the pgs are v good. I like how the lean writing pulls you thru the read. Very evocative.

One thing-- Don't know if this matters but Sasha is normally used as a boy's nickname in Russia. It's short for Alexander. Am not aware if girls used it circa WWII.
        Hi stvnlra, thanks, glad you liked the pages.

I actually chose the names by going to a Russian name website and looking for names that fit. I do remember finding Sasha in the girls name section, so I hope it's correct.

Comment

Hey Anagram,

Can we use this thread to give feedback on the full script...

I might have been a bit harsh with my critique... Could be that I've been distracted lately, and didn't allow it to envelop me.

Would like to see what others thought, but I leave that up to Anagram to decide.
          http://www.mortalremainsthemovie.com/

Comment

I'm not opposed to the idea, but I can count on one hand the people who've read the script.

No one's going to know (or care?) what we're talking about.

If people are interested I could post a link to the script, and then anyone who's curious can read it for themselves? That way the thread would make sense.

Otherwise we'd just be talking to each other.

Comment

Hey man, that's a good idea. Post a link to the script. I'm sure many would like to read it if you don't mind.

Comment

I'm going to take a moment here to react to my own advanced pages feedback.
                Hooray!
                Okay, not a rave but certainly better than some of the drubbings my work has recieved in the past. Script link if anyone's interested:
                https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3-k...WUxeU51QQ/edit
                "I need someone who laughs at all my jokes. You know; honest feedback."
                - C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

Thanks for the interest fanatic. I've decided to just give the script out over private message.

I thought about it for a while, and this is really what makes me most comfortable.

Sorry if this bothers anyone (though I'm sure most people don't care one way or the other).

Originally posted by gridlock'd View Post
                  Hooray!
                  Okay, not a rave but certainly better than some of the drubbings my work has recieved in the past. Script link if anyone's interested:
                  Congratulations on Todd liking your stuff! I liked the pages too btw.
                  Last edited by Anagram; 06-27-2012, 05:41 PM.

Comment

One little thing... it's the Volga river in Stalingrad I think you typoed and put vogol. Not to nitpick but you know how some readers can be...

Comment

Originally posted by gridlock'd View Post
                      Hooray!

I've only read a few samples of your "Sunny" specs, but as a huge fan of the show, I think they've been spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by stvnlra View Post
                        Sasha is also short for Alexandra (the female name) - so you commonly meet both men and women called Sasha.

Anagram - I was quite taken by the excerpt too and would be interested in reading more. I lived in Russia for 6 years so would be able to check anything else relating to Russian-culture that you are not 100% sure about. I'm actually currently reworking a script of my own about Russian involvement in the Caucasus. Different period though, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by muser777 View Post
                          Sasha is also short for Alexandra (the female name) - so you commonly meet both men and women called Sasha.

Anagram - I was quite taken by the excerpt too and would be interested in reading more. I lived in Russia for 6 years so would be able to check anything else relating to Russian-culture that you are not 100% sure about. I'm actually currently reworking a script of my own about Russian involvement in the Caucasus. Different period though, of course.
                          Hi Muser,

Sure no problem. I'm on a week long trip so once I'm back at my computer I'll send it your way.

Comment

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post
                            I've only read a few samples of your "Sunny" specs, but as a huge fan of the show, I think they've been spot on.
                            Thanks. Appreciate you saying so.
                            Last edited by gridlock'd; 07-09-2012, 09:33 AM.
                            "I need someone who laughs at all my jokes. You know; honest feedback."
                            - C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

Working...
                            X