No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "THE LUGNUT LIST" -- The Mechanic's Top 10 of 2012

So, in no particular order, here's my TOP TEN of 2012:

THE LAST TRIP by Christina Ferguson (Comedy / Drama)
    A successful married woman who works in Silicon Valley has her life turned upside down when Jerry Garcia dies and her estranged parents – two Deadheads – roll into town to pay their respects.

THE PROSECUTOR by April Rouveyrol (Action Thriller)
    A criminal prosecutor is about to put the ruthless leader of a drug cartel on trial for murder, but when his own wife is taken hostage he teams up with two old military buddies to “extract” the cartel leader from police custody so he can turn the tables.

RUNNING WITH ROSES by Mary Kaiser (Romantic Drama)
    The rebellious daughter of a Presidential candidate tries to help her sister avoid an arranged marriage to her own childhood nemesis, but winds up sleeping with him in the dark and later learns she is pregnant.

PORSCHE by Scott Fauber (Biopic / Period Drama)

THE TAKE by Kris Van Herle (Thriller)
    A thief breaks into the vault of the powerful man who cost him a five-year prison sentence, only to find it empty except for a young girl, but she witnessed a murder which could take something far more valuable from his enemy – his freedom.

LINEAGE by Dennis Luu (Serial-Killer / Thriller)
    A female detective is recruited by the Behavioral Analysis Unit to interview a serial-killer in the hope she can help them identify an active copycat who is preying on entire families, but it’s a tough assignment because the death row prisoner is her own mother.

THE SPEECH WRITER by Kathleen Coggshall (Romantic Comedy)
    After she quits working for a secretly-bigoted politician, a talented yet introverted young woman begins helping everyday people write wedding speeches, but just as she’s falling for one of her clients she discovers he’s the Best Man of her ex-boyfriend.

ABDUCTION OF ALEXA WINTERS by Dave Macomber (Thriller)

V DAY by Ali Imran Zaidi (Comedy)
    When a rare Valentine’s Day lunar event affects the libido of local teenagers, an Animal Control officer must defend his daughter’s virginity until sunrise.

A BETTER PLACE by Bettina di Fiore & Thomas Schelesny (Thriller)
    An ex-cop turned private detective investigates the disappearance of a young woman and the murder of his own assistant, but the mystery leads him deep into downtown San Francisco, a place he’s been virtually exiled from by his old police colleagues.

(If you made the list and want a logline added or amended, please shoot me an email)

- - - - -

Please note, my Lugnust List is merely my favorite material from the 304 submissions I personally received and "covered" this past calendar year. It is not an attempt to compete with any other industry list.

- - - - -

As always, I also want to give honorable mentions to a few writers who could have just as easily made the list:

Coyote by Todd Goodlett
    Broken Leash by Peter Interland
    Flashpoint by Morgan Earnest
    Templar by Stephen Kopernik
    Man With Cross by Lawrence Kennelly & Rustin Niles
    Uncommon Valor by Paul Erskine
    Recovery by Robert M. Cosci
    Miriam's Star by Steven L. Fournier
    Closure by Steve Jessop
    Jenny's Big Gig by Eric Maloney
    Irrelevant by Richard Botto
    For Hamelin by Matt Deller
    Hedge (TV) by Christopher Stella

Every year, people ask how many "Considers" I award. I use four recommendations in my coverage:
    Consider
    Consider w/ reservations
    Pass w/ reservations
    Pass

In 2012, the number of "Full Considers" I awarded was less than five.

I really enjoyed reading everyone's work, so as long as I continue doing this please keep them coming. While I expect BULLET RUN and another project (more on that soon) to go into production early in 2013, I also expect to keep reading for a while.

Have a Happy New Year, everyone.
    Last edited by EvilRbt; 12-31-2012, 12:32 PM.
    NOTES / COVERAGE
    15,000+ Screenplays
    [email protected]

Re: "THE LUGNUT LIST" -- The Mechanic's Top 10 of 2012

It's an honor to be part of the top 10 with my script, Lineage. Congrats to my fellow top 10 and honorable mentions. Hoping 2013 will be a big year for all of us

Comment

Congrats to all the listed writers. It's a meaningful honor.
      If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
      Dave Barry

Comment

Congratulations to all the talented writers who made the Top 10 and honorable mentions lists. I am humbled and proud to be one of the latter. Happy New Year to all.

Comment

Congratz to all who made it.
          The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost

Comment

Congrats, ya' big lugs!
            "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Congrats to all those on the list. I love the sound of THE PROSECUTOR, very cool. 304 submissions, wow... the man must be tired.

Comment

Wow, what a thrill to be on there with my V-Day script! Thanks, and congratulations to all!

Comment

Big CONGRATS to ALL!

Gives ya the warm fuzzies, don't it?

Bask in it!!!

Midnite

Comment

Congrats to Dennis, Ali and the others. You can't fake a lugnut. Sh*t is for real.

Comment

Andrew is not only a great mechanic, he's also an amazing driver.

When he liked Roses, a low-budget character drama, he remembered a producer he thought would like my voice, referred the script to her, and on it goes.

He looked past the very low concept (I didn't even query this one) and his suggestions to funny it up but keep the heart, plus his ability to get it into the right hands made a huge difference to a writer who has few contacts because my kids have always come first.

This story is close to my heart. It's based on my grandparents, they raised thoroughbreds, and instilled my daughter's love of horses. To modernize an arranged marriage became a political cover-up.

All of us on the list know that when Andrew gets behind the wheel on a script, he will drive it or even push it to cross that finish line. Thanks to my Mechanic, I'm still rollin' on.

Comment

nice. good to see some comedies on this list.

Comment

Congrats Lugnutters!

I really like that Lineage logline, Dennis. Congrats, thy Lordmanji.

Great to see Andrew continuing this tradition here on DD.
                          #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

Congrats, Lugnuts!

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

Originally posted by Ire View Post
                              I really like that Lineage logline, Dennis. Congrats, thy Lordmanji.
                              I read several of Dennis' screenplays this year. He's a perfect illustration of the genuine talent that loiters around Done Deal Pro.
                              NOTES / COVERAGE
                              15,000+ Screenplays
                              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X