No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scriptshadow's Top 15 Amateur Scripts

http://scriptshadow.net/top-15-amate...plays-of-2012/

I know people will read this and quote these parts, so I might as well save them the trouble:

Title: Saving Lexie Lee (not reviewed)
    Premise: When a popular high school girl looks into some mysterious murders happening around town, she's shocked to find out that she may know the killer.
    Writer: Michael Morra
    How I found it: Consult Service
    About: I really liked this one, so much so that I asked Michael if I could come on as producer. We've since played around with the script and while we're getting close, there's something that isn't quite there yet with the ending. The thing I liked about the script was that it had this really weird structure that you never see in these types of films. That's proven to be a roadblock for some, since it requires a complete rethinking of how these movies work. But I still have faith in its unorthodox approach. "Lexie Lee- is basically "Scream- but with a really ****ed up second act. We'll figure it out eventually. And when we do, I have a feeling this could sell.
    Title: Keeping Time
    Premise: A for-hire time traveler who specializes in "preventing- bad relationships meets his match with a mysterious woman who claims to also be a traveler and is determined to stop him from completing his mission.
    Writer: Nathan Zoebl
    How I found it: Amateur Friday
    About: After my review of this script, Nathan snatched an agent at WME (Mike Esola) and went through a couple of close calls getting talent attached. I couldn't resist being a producer on this one either as I'm always looking for the next great time travel comedy. Now it's a matter of stepping back, possibly doing another rewrite or two, and getting this script back in the game. I really want to make this one happen so if you're interested, e-mail me!
    Even though he doesn't directly state he's going to produce it:

Title: Fascination 127
    Premise: A group of men are hired by a mysterious client to remove Jim Morrison's casket, give it to him for 24 hours and then return the casket into the ground before it is publicly exhumed to be moved to the United States.
    Writer: Alex Carl
    About: This script totally took me by surprise. I thought it was going to be a half-assed weed-driven series of college conspiracy theories on what happened to Jim Morrison. Instead, it was a taut highly-engrossing heist film. But even better, Alex and I took everyone's feedback from the review and incorporated the best notes into the script. Alex is almost done with his latest draft and I can confirm that it has gotten a LOT better. Once it's finished, we'll go out there and, at the very least, land Alex an agent.
    Title: Reunion
    Premise: At their ten-year reunion, a formerly bullied outcast decides to enact revenge on the cool kids who made his life miserable.
    Writer: Adam Zopf
    About: I know, I know. This is kind of a cheat. I originally aired this review in 2011. But since I didn't have an official "Best Amateur Scripts- list for 2011, I decided to move Reunion to 2012. So what's going on with the script? Some good stuff, depending on how you look at it. The production company that optioned Reunion wasn't able to get it going in time, so the script's reverted back to Adam! That means it's back on the market. I'm going to meet with Adam some time this month and we'll discuss Reunion. Who knows? Maybe we'll end up working on it together.
    Title: Rose In the Darkness
    Premise: A secluded boy's way of life is threatened when he befriends Rose - the girl whom his parents have imprisoned in the family attic.
    Writer: Joe Marino
    About: To think that Joe wrote this and he isn't even finished with college yet! The review led to Brooklyn Weaver at Energy Entertainment reading and loving Rose. We're pairing together to produce and Brooklyn is also managing Joe now. Some folks have been put off by the ultra-dark subject matter in the script but I think it's only a matter of time before we find a home for this one. If you're a production company who's not afraid to take chances - if you want something on your slate riskier than the typical garden variety horror fare we've seen as of late, let me know. I'll get you Rose and we can take it from there.

Re: Scriptshadow's Top 15 Amateur Scripts

You forgot to mention 300 Years. Come on Chief, you're slipping.

Also, did he reimburse those people that paid for notes that he is now glomming on to produce their script?
    twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Originally posted by michaelb View Post
      You forgot to mention 300 Years. Come on Chief, you're slipping.

Also, did he reimburse those people that paid for notes that he is now glomming on to produce their script?
      It's 03.30 here Michael, do forgive me.

I don't think he repaid, as with Disciple Program, he said Tyler would get free notes from now on. Who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief View Post
        I don't think he repaid, as with Disciple Program, he said Tyler would get free notes from now on. Who knows.
        Which would be worth exactly what Tyler is paying for them.

Comment

It's 03.30 here Michael, do forgive me.

You'd think that if he was coming on to produce something, he'd give the money back, but I guess that would be too ethical...
          twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

I'm still trying to figure out why a guy like Brooklyn Weaver continues to support and cheer-lead for Scriptshadow/ Carson Reeves -- when so many others seem to be questioning his ethics.

Not that he cares, but my opinion of Weaver (despite his sales) has definitely slipped in recent months. And I've heard same from other writers who've witnessed his Twitter supplication at the teat of Reeves as well.

Comment

Here is a direct quote from Fox News concerning this phenomenon: "More than 1.1 million people in Britain have succumbed to the norovirus winter vomiting disease so far this season, and health officials expect cases to jump higher after a Christmas and New Year dip."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/0...#ixzz2H4TddUFe

THAT'S ONE MILLION ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND DEAD WHILE YOU"RE SQUAWKING ABOUT.... Oh wait. I'm sorry. The illiterates at the Fox News Network think that having the flu is the same as dying from it. My misnake.

I had in mind some sort of involved metaphor about suckers and ripoff script websites and vomit-flavored thousand-dollar lollipops, but somehow it got lost in the verbal shuffle. My bad....
              Last edited by Max Otto Schrenck; 01-04-2013, 08:24 PM. Reason: total confusication

Comment

I have a feeling that if he managed to attach himself to Disciple Program that it wouldn't have sold.

Comment

I have a feeling that if he managed to attach himself to Disciple Program that it wouldn't have sold.
                  True. I heard one of the other scripts he's attached to had an offer pulled because the buyer found out he was attached.

Lesson, you can't piss all over studios projects and then make movies with them later.
                  twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

He should stop reviewing and work 24/7 on just getting a project produced. That means take his savings, live in cheaper accommodation and bust your balls of.

Especially as he's got some good projects he can work with. Rose in the Attic, he would need about 5 actors, about 3 locations. I'm not a budget man, but I'd say that's less than $250.000 (if you get indie actors).

Get it into film festivals, get noticed so you can work on bigger projects etc.

Comment

Originally posted by michaelb View Post
                      True. I heard one of the other scripts he's attached to had an offer pulled because the buyer found out he was attached.

Lesson, you can't piss all over studios projects and then make movies with them later.
                      This bears repeating.

I'm a bit aghast that he's glommed onto 4 scripts as a producer. I'd love to hear him answer just what he brings to a project that merits such a benefit for him.

It's not worth having someone attached to your script unless they're adding value. And - as Michael points out - in some sectors of this business, Carson's name is poison to a deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Bitter Script Reader View Post
                        This bears repeating.

I'm a bit aghast that he's glommed onto 4 scripts as a producer. I'd love to hear him answer just what he brings to a project that merits such a benefit for him.

It's not worth having someone attached to your script unless they're adding value. And - as Michael points out - in some sectors of this business, Carson's name is poison to a deal.
                        He learned from his mistake with Tyler (sending it out and hyping it before attaching himself).

Now he only hypes/sends it after he attaches himself.

It's basically hey, I really like your script. Can I attach myself?

Say yes and your script will got to WME/agents etc.

Say no and he'll just give it a 'worth the read'.

Comment

He should stop reviewing and work 24/7 on just getting a project produced. That means take his savings, live in cheaper accommodation and bust your balls of.

Especially as he's got some good projects he can work with. Rose in the Attic, he would need about 5 actors, about 3 locations. I'm not a budget man, but I'd say that's less than $250.000 (if you get indie actors).

Get it into film festivals, get noticed so you can work on bigger projects etc.
                          Agreed. Stop charging for reads, get out of the review business, and do the actual painstaking work of producing a film.

Comment

It's basically hey, I really like your script. Can I attach myself?

Say yes and your script will got to WME/agents etc.
                            Say no and he'll just give it a 'worth the read'.
                            Hah. Is that how he works? If that is true, then it's trivial for any real producer to shake him off the project like toilet paper off a shoe. Without acquiring the rights-- actually acquiring them, legally, via contract and consideration-- he is not attached in any real or binding way, and has zero recourse for being shut out of a project by any real producer with the wherewithal and professionalism to acquire the rights.

This is Producing 101. If you don't own the rights, you are simply an employee of those who do. And if you aren't being paid by the aforementioned rights holders, you're nothing, not attached, just another wanna-be producer on the internet shooting your mouth off.

Before someone reads the above and think "I might as well say yes, use him to get to WME (assuming that's not BS), and then get the big boys to drop him," keep in mind that nobody wants to bother cleaning a barnacle off your bow that you yourself cynically put there, and that everybody knows, or can learn with trivial effort, this guy's terrible reputation and nonexistent track record. You'll be trying to start a career with several strikes against you.

Comment

Chris couldn't produce me a sandwich.

First off, he doesn't bring anything to the table as a producer. No connections, I'm assuming he's not bringing any cash, and we all know he's kind of a dick so he's not a people person.

Second, he has ZERO CLUE what a producer actually does. I can't believe writers want a dead weight random guy attached to their script after putting in all the hard work to get the script there. Buyers are thinking SERIOUSLY? Get this clown off and then we'll talk.
                              Introduce a little anarchy.

Comment

Working...
                              X