X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Scriptshadow's Top 15 Amateur Scripts

Originally posted by BurningWorld View Post
    Chris couldn't produce me a sandwich.

First off, he doesn't bring anything to the table as a producer. No connections, I'm assuming he's not bringing any cash, and we all know he's kind of a dick so he's not a people person.

Second, he has ZERO CLUE what a producer actually does. I can't believe writers want a dead weight random guy attached to their script after putting in all the hard work to get the script there. Buyers are thinking SERIOUSLY? Get this clown off and then we'll talk.
    What I don't understand is why Brooklyn Weaver is now involved on a project with him. He's taking Chris seriously? Or he'll shake him off at some point?

Comment

It seems that what he brings to the table (as producer) is his network of contacts and screenwriting advice to develop the screenplay further.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
        It seems that what he brings to the table (as producer) is his network of contacts and screenwriting advice to develop the screenplay further.
        So nothing, then...?

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post
          So nothing, then...?
          I should think so, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
            There is a lot to be said about sweat equity. He is going to work doubly hard to prove himself. We all had to start someplace. When we all start off as newbie writers, most of us don't know what they hell we are doing, but that doesn't keep us from calling ourselves screenwriters. But the more we do it -- the more we learn and grow. Why should it be any different for Carson/Chris?

Let the stoning begin...

Comment

He does know some people, Rupert Wyatt (Rise of the Planet of the Apes) e-mailed him saying he loves his blog.

Jon Favreau (Iron Man) invited him and showed him a trailer of a new project he's working on.

It's usually not the directors that he pisses of.

Comment

Burning bridges is one thing. But burning them before you cross them is another.

Doesn't matter who he knows or who is in his corner. He's burned the only bridges that matter: with studios. No one is gonna fight to keep him on a project when some exec vehemently demands he be dropped because he pissed on a project he was involved with 2 years ago.

He has no bridges. Hope he knows how to swim in indy waters...

Comment

Here's what John August and Craig Mazin have to say about this:

http://johnaugust.com/2012/scriptnot...ing-transcript

Well worth listening to the podcast rather than just reading the transcript, to get the full dose of (justified) venom.
                  "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post

Well worth listening to the podcast rather than just reading the transcript, to get the full dose of (justified) venom.
                    Thanks for this, great read.

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post

This is my first time listening to one of these podcasts. For anyone who has, or is thinking about attaching Carson Reeves as a producer, the "what does a producer do?" portion of the podcast should be required listening. Starts at about 21:55.
                      FADE IN:
                      PERSEVERANCE OVERCOMES ADVERSITY
                      NEVER FADE OUT.

Comment

You should listen to every podcast. Seriously. All of them. Should be required listening for any aspiring screenwriter.

Comment

Second that. I've listened to every John August/Craig Mazin podcast since they started doing them. Usually, I've listened to it by 5PM the day they post it. Good stuff, and I also like the banter. Reminds me a bit of Siskel and Ebert because they don't always agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief View Post

He does know some people, Rupert Wyatt (Rise of the Planet of the Apes) e-mailed him saying he loves his blog.

Jon Favreau (Iron Man) invited him and showed him a trailer of a new project he's working on.
                            Just read this thread tonight and the above baffles me. Why? Why would these men reach out to him? Why would Favreau invite him to view trailers? I don't get it.
                            Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by lostfootage View Post
                              Second that. I've listened to every John August/Craig Mazin podcast since they started doing them. Usually, I've listened to it by 5PM the day they post it. Good stuff, and I also like the banter. Reminds me a bit of Siskel and Ebert because they don't always agree.
                              I just discovered them recently, and I'm listening to the new ones as they post, plus working my way back through the old ones. Awesome info -- it feels like they're really lifting the veil. It's so great that they're taking the time to do this.

Kinda got a thrill when they mentioned Clive Barker rewriting Zombies vs. Gladiators on Amazon -- since I wrote the script that won the contest, and that the storyboard test movie is (roughly) based on. (Of course, neither I nor the original ZvG writers got mentioned when AS sent out the press release on Clive....)
                              "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Working...
                              X