X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matthew Sand, screenwriter

Matthew Sand

Anyone know about this writer?

I just saw his name in the trades and looked him up.

Would love to hear his story. Seems like hehad some activity in 2004 and 2006, but his career took off after 2008 -present culminating with his recent assignment for Arclight.

I may have read one of his scripts alongthe way, but otherwise, I'm not familiar with him as a "screenwriting- name in Hollywood. Yet, he has a great deal of activity the past years.

I would love if anyone, or Matthew, could share his experiences of working in the biz, development of his craft, and his thoughts on screenwriting as a profession.

Thanks!
    a touch is a blow, a sound is a noise, a misfortune is a tragedy, a joy is an ecstasy, a friend is a lover, a lover is a god, and failure is death. Pearl Buck

Re: Matthew Sand, screenwriter

Hey -

A friend of mine (who obviously spends more time on the internet than he should) gave me a shout about this query.

If you've questions, I'll do my best to answer. The more specific, probably the better.

Matthew

Comment

Wow! Awesome. Thanks! I greatly appreciate the time you took to respond.

People such as Jeff Lowell and John August have given a lot back to us amateurs, but I think a variety of perspectives is key.

Hearing someone like John Swetnam @ Austin talk about how he wrote about 25 scripts before breaking-in (while working at Olive Garden) was extremely interesting.

How do you view the industry now that you've done both assignments and sold specs? Would it change your approach if you were just starting out?

Did you take any classes, read books, or do writing exercises that you felt made a solid difference in your craft?

Did you make a living at writing and rewriting screenplays when you first broke in? Or did you have to continue to work outside of the industry?

Was there an "ah-ha- moment on either the writing/craft side? Or the professional side? A revelation that you must share with another writer?

Thanks! Again, I saw your sale and started wondering about your career. I thought a fresh perspective would be helpful. So I greatly appreciate you taking the time to respond.
      a touch is a blow, a sound is a noise, a misfortune is a tragedy, a joy is an ecstasy, a friend is a lover, a lover is a god, and failure is death. Pearl Buck

Comment

Originally posted by RichMike View Post
        Wow! Awesome. Thanks! I greatly appreciate the time you took to respond.

You're welcome.

People such as Jeff Lowell and John August have given a lot back to us amateurs, but I think a variety of perspectives is key.

Jeff and John are both much smarter and more successful than I am; listen to them first.

Hearing someone like John Swetnam @ Austin talk about how he wrote about 25 scripts before breaking-in (while working at Olive Garden) was extremely interesting.

Interesting, yes. But also slightly discouraging. If only because of all the implied meals at Olive Garden.

How do you view the industry now that you've done both assignments and sold specs? Would it change your approach if you were just starting out?

I view it as the source of: my income, some of my greatest joys, and some of my deepest frustrations. Of course my approach would change - but more in terms of expectations than in my approach.

Did you take any classes, read books, or do writing exercises that you felt made a solid difference in your craft?

I took a few classes and read a few books, but I really think that I learned - and am still learning - how to write by doing it. And by talking to other writers with more experience (which is part of why I'm talking to you now).

Did you make a living at writing and rewriting screenplays when you first broke in? Or did you have to continue to work outside of the industry?

I have been fortunate and I have worked hard; screenwriting has provided for me and my family for more than eight years now.

Incidentally, there isn't within the industry so great a distinction between writing a re-writing; it's more a question of degree.

Was there an "ah-ha- moment on either the writing/craft side? Or the professional side? A revelation that you must share with another writer?

There have been dozens - hundreds - of "ah-ha" moments. Mostly they go away, though. My biggest words of advice are these: don't try to write like anybody else (though execution trumps originality), and assume that whatever works really well for another writer in terms of method, probably won't be ideal for you. Find out what DOES work for you, and double-the-****-down on it.

Thanks! Again, I saw your sale and started wondering about your career. I thought a fresh perspective would be helpful. So I greatly appreciate you taking the time to respond.
        My pleasure.

Comment

"Of course my approach wouldchange - but more in terms of expectations than in my approach. "

In what ways would you suggest screenwriters change their expectations "before" they break in?

(thanks so much!).

Comment

Having a writing career in Hollywood isn't so much a question of arrival and maintenance (as I'd thought), as it is a process of constant reinvention. I suspect this is true of all the above the line gigs, but it's especially the case in screenwriting.

Comment

Working...
            X