Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished Cloverfield

Thought I would introduce myself (howdy y'all) to the forum by discussing the script I just finished reading - Cloverfield. I had seen the movie pretty much when it came out, but only recently got ahold of the script during one Go Into The Story's Script Reading & Analysis posts. I quite liked the way the script was written and Goddard used a particular technique that intrigued me.

A character would say or do something, and then the response action text would go something like this:

"She raises her eyebrows -- are you kidding me?"

It's just a small touch but it tells me pretty much EVERYTHING about that moment and how the character reacts. I've definitely taken note as I write, re-write, and write more of my own stuff.

The rest of the script pretty much follows in line with the way the movie plays out, so I'm guessing it was a later draft. There were some OMITTED moments that had me curious, but they were probably removed for good reason.

I know a bunch of people who weren't too impressed with the film, but I think it holds up well and the script was a super fun read. Was there anything that stood out to you guys about this script? Have you read it yet? Have you read other stuff from Drew Goddard?

Finally, howdy!

Re: Finished Cloverfield

Welcome! Cloverfield's one of my favorite movies - love giant monsters. I like the script a lot, too. I find it's a really good exercise to read the script while viewing the film to see exactly how much or how little of the detail on the screen is in the writing - most of the time, it just reinforces how few words on the page you actually need to get across even a big crazy scene of monsters and tanks and toppling buildings and panicking mobs and...
    Patrick Sweeney

Comment

I'm not sure reading along while watching the film would work all that well for me, as I tend to get wrapped up 100% in whatever I'm watching. Still, I can imagine it's neat to see the words translate to screen.

I was also impressed with the brisk pace of the script. Even in the slower moments the script never felt like it was dragging. I'd like to think I've learned a thing or two from this.

Comment

Well, I wouldn't do it (reading the script with the film) the first time I saw a movie. I do strongly suggest it, though - with any script, not just Cloverfield. Even if you're kind of dubious, I think you'll be amazed how much you learn by immediately seeing how the words translate to the screen - how much is there in the script, and how much isn't, what the writer chooses to emphasize & how it changes the scene, etc. It's a real education in the mechanics of screenwriting, especially.
        Patrick Sweeney

Comment

Working...
        X