Tarantino shelves "Hateful Eight" after script's leaked among Hollywood community

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tarantino shelves "Hateful Eight" after script's leaked among Hollywood community

It's not on the web, okay?

http://m.deadline.com/2014/01/quenti...medium=twitter

Everyone here understands his feelings, but the fanboy part of me wants him to do it.
    "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Re: Tarantino shelves "Hateful Eight" after script's leaked among Hollywood community

I can understand where he's coming from, but he's also kinda punishing his fans over it.

Comment

Re: Tarantino shelves "Hateful Eight" after script's leaked among Hollywood community

What is a "watermarked script?" One w/ an image on every page...? Or a GPS transponder woven into the paper...?

Anyway, the article says that watermarking would have allowed tracking the script, so they could have detected who passed the script into the wrong hands. But since the script wasn't "watermarked", there's no telling who did it except -- according to Tarantino -- it wasn't agents associated with Tim Roth, Sam Jackson, or Christoph Walz.

Since Tarantino claims to have ten more projects to go onto, and since the script could still be produced (though w/out further input from him) this seems to be a minor setback, in the scheme of things. But one which should provide a heads-up to those professionals who don't have Tarantino's level of creativity or connections.

And it could have been a real disaster if the script had been in the middle of production....

Comment

Originally posted by bjamin View Post
        I can understand where he's coming from, but he's also kinda punishing his fans over it.
        Making a film he wasn't passionate about would be more punishing for both him and the fans.

This is just a depressing story for everyone. Would have loved to see Roth, Madsen, and Dern in a Tarantino western.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Otto Schrenck View Post
          What is a "watermarked script?" One w/ an image on every page...? Or a GPS transponder woven into the paper...?

Anyway, the article says that watermarking would have allowed tracking the script, so they could have detected who passed the script into the wrong hands. But since the script wasn't "watermarked", there's no telling who did it except -- according to Tarantino -- it wasn't agents associated with Tim Roth, Sam Jackson, or Christoph Walz.
          Here's an example of a program that does watermarks documents and reasons why. There are others too.

http://quoteunquoteapps.com/bronson/

Comment

I think both Fade In Pro and Final Draft 9 can watermark scripts.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
              I think both Fade In Pro and Final Draft 9 can watermark scripts.
              I know Fade In Pro does it, but it's limited compared to Bronson Watermarker. That said, with updates coming at least once a month, maybe the Fade In Developer will improve the functionality. If you're on Final Draft, good luck with any updates! :P

Comment

Originally posted by TheKeenGuy View Post
                This is just a depressing story for everyone. Would have loved to see Roth, Madsen, and Dern in a Tarantino western.
                I promised that I'd stop checking DDP until after my morning writing session, but can't help myself.

At first I wasn't to concerned about it. In fact as soon as I saw that the script leaked I started hunting for it. I actually enjoy reading his **** more than watching it (these days).

But then I read Madsen was a contender, I GOT STOKED-- Madsen in another QT film is the greatest thing I've heard yet this year. --And it sucks it won't happen now.

So I do feel cheated out of something. And I don't think- could be wrong-but I don't think QT pulled the project because he lost his passion for the piece as much as the
                "nobody ****s with me and gets away with it"
                mentality he seems to promote. All in all: is what it is. CANT WAIT to read the script.

Comment

I echo the thoughts on Madsen.

In Shooting From The Hip it's written that, angered by only being offered WGA min and no director role, QT refused to rewrite the ending of True Romance for Tony Scott. If that's true, that's incredibly strong for a guy living with his mom and getting his first spec sale. Especially considering that, due to becoming impatient with the studios, he was apparently planning to use the money to shoot Reservoir Dogs himself.
                  Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

I'm sorry, but this story has to be a hoax. I have been angrily assured by many people that there are no reprecussions to sharing unproduced scripts without the writer's consent.

Comment

Troy, thanks for the info on watermarks as a whole. When I read the article, I dwelt on that part. The more and more I read J. Tarantino's quotes I sensed it was way over the top as well. To that end, I agree it's probably a hoax. And, because I've heard nothing else of it anywhere else...

NB--

so uh, should we be watermarking our scripts? Or would that be perceived as crazy, paranoid to an unhealthy degree? I've always thought that my paranoia/craziness falls well within a reasonably acceptable range. Well, at least so far...
                      " Don't really like writing. But I do like having written." Vince Gilligan, Breaking Bad.

Comment

on the one hand, these things do happen and certainly it's a cutthroat world amongst the agents and grifters i mean managers and other intermediaries but on the other it does seem a little funny that this has only been publicized through one dumpsite i mean website but tarantino does tend to flare up sometimes so the idea that he could scotch the entire project doesn't seem entirely out of character but on the other he is a professional and what does being a professional mean if not control of your own ego and emotions particularly when comes to your own work

MEN IN WHITE ENTER THE ROOM. They look sympathetic but determined.

i wish i had that kind of following, where rumors would get started about my own temperamental reaction to some minor or major injustice and people would have sleepless nights worrying about it i mean that would be nice wouldn't it but talent like Tarantino has doesn't grow on trees if it did this world would just start blossoming until it would be like the garden of eden or gethsemane i forget all the way the center of the

MAN IN WHITE !
                        Mr. Schrenck. You have to go now.

that's not me i'm the cat i'm just watching this from the windowsill

MAN IN WHITE 2!!
                        Let's just help you into this nice comfy straight jacket.

The Men in White bundle up our commentor.

Exit laughing hysterically. Him, not them.

FADE TO BLUE BLACK.
                        Last edited by Max Otto Schrenck; 01-22-2014, 08:49 AM.

Comment

if it was true it would have been all over the place now. a lot of details from the script would submerge. and if he was truly passionate about this, he wouldn't cancel the whole thing. that's just silly.

Comment

Jeff,

Is it that you don't believe the script leaked, or that he pulled the plug on the production?

You're certainly more 'in tuned' than I, but he comes across like a dude who'd pull the plug on something if his feelings got hurt or, in this situation, felt betrayed.

Comment

Maybe I'm wrong, but I get the impression Jeff is making comment on those who wilfully share, and defend the sharing of, unproduced scripts without the writers consent.
                              Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

Working...
                              X