How did Logan sharpen Franzoni'TMs Gladiator?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did Logan sharpen Franzoni'TMs Gladiator?

Just curious...

I imagine Franzoni's original script lacked focus and commercial appeal to stand on its own... some name writer with a special vision (storytelling? marketing? budgeting?) had to be brought in...

I actually enjoyed reading Franzoni's revised first draft (4/4/98) more than I did Logan's second draft (10/22/98) , and I don't know why (from a screenplay's point of view) they added a third writer (William Nicholson) to produce the celebrated Gladiator movie. BTW, Maximus (protag) lives happily ever after in Logan's second draft, so it wasn't good enough yet...?

Logan pretty much rewrote the whole thing in his smooth style, tightening the structure, changing characters' names and getting rid of Franzoni's numerous minislugs, among other things. Was that the magic Franzoni wanted/expected from Logan?

I did enjoy Logan's Last Samurai (a one-writer show) better than I did Logan's Gladiator. But that's me.

Logan pretty much rewrote the whole thing in his smooth style, tightening the structure, changing characters' names and getting rid of Franzoni's numerous minislugs
    That is how you get credit on a screenplay rewrite. Change all the easy stuff that the WGA seems to value, especially the character and location names.

Comment

last samurai

Re: I did enjoy Logan's Last Samurai (a one-writer show)

What do you mean a one-writer show??

Comment

Re: last samurai

He wrote the screenplay alone, right? Didn't share screenwriting credit with anyone else, right?

So, in terms of screenwriting, The Last Samurai is his show.

Comment

The Last Samurai script is credited to Logan, Ed Zwick and Marshall Herskovitz. Logan does get a 'story by' credit.

Comment

My oversight... the first page of The Last Samurai on IMDb only lists John Logan for screenplay and story credits. But clicking on "more" I get Zwick and Herskovitz also for screenplay credits.

However, most people usually refer to John Logan only (unfairly so, and now I wonder why) as the screenwriter of this movie.

:eek

Comment

It feels pretty Zwicky to me. From out here in TV land.

Comment

Working...
              X