Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kubrick as a Screenwriter.

Several people have told me that Kubrick was a shoddy screenwriter. I've read a few of his scripts and can't understand why. Specifically, it's the style of 'A Clockwork Orange' and 'Barry Lyndon' that I like.

I'd like to know what, if anything, is wrong (or very unconventional) with the way these scripts are written and if I should avoid using a similar style.

Thanks for your help.

are they talking about the writing or is it just people who are more impressed by his visual style than the stories he directs?

either way, i disagree with their opinion.

Comment

agree

I agree with your disagree.

Comment

me too. kubrick was many things, none of them shoddy. more important he was a visual, not textual artist. finding fault w/ a script is akin to attacking miles davis for poor sentences.

also, i believe he collaborated on w/ at least one writer on every single movie he made

Comment

I have a copy of his "Napoleon" script and he has the sole credit. The writing is stiff and a little academic, but there's no doubt that it would have made an amazing film. First and foremost, though, he was a visual artist. Let's not forget he started off as a Look Magazine photographer.

Comment

The only thing I can see unconventional about Kubrick as a screenwriter is the length of his screenplays.

These are based on drafts that I have.

TITLE - PAGES (RUNTIME OF FILM) IMDB RATING
            A Clockwork Orange - 69 pages (137 minutes) IMDB: #74
            Dr. Strangelove - 54 pages (93 minutes) IMDB: #16
            2001: A Space Odyssey - 64 pages (139/148/156 minutes) IMDB: #73
            Eyes Wide Shut - 95 pages (159 minutes)

Those are all the scripts I have of his. Not to mention, 3 of the 4 mentioned above (sans Eyes Wide Shut) are in the IMDB Top 250. Impressive does not even begin to describe his talents.

Comment

Working...
            X