No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insomnia

Anyone seen it floating around online?

I can send it to you in a .pdf format if you give me your e-mail address.

Comment

I'd love a copy of this one!!

If you're okay with it, could you send a pdf copy to this email: [email protected] ?

Comment

Oh, and PLEASE send me a copy also if you could: [email protected]
        I offer you my eternal thanks (hope you weren't expecting anything else lol)

Comment

Please could I get a copy of this script? I'm a big Christopher Nolan fan.

Comment

Cheers Supersquid191. You're a star.

Comment

No, I'm a Superstar.

Comment

You are all aware that this is illegal, right? I'm sure the author's very happy that his script is being passed around willy nilly, with nary a penny from you for his hard work.

Comment

Illegal... Um --that's a pretty strong comment

DC -- this isn't a short story or a stageplay that an individual owns copyright on, but a script for which the writers were well paid (adaptation/remake drafts on which they were work-for-hire, never owned the rights) and a large film conglomerate owns the copyright.

As screenwriters, we read screenplays for the betterment of our own training, skills & knowledge & under the heading known as "FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES."

The scripts that are online & disseminated for gratis, as well as those shops which sell them for $15 and up a pop all fall under this same arena and seem to me to be, if not totally legal, then certainly a bit of a gray market.

But hey, I'm no attorney.

Scenario is out of business & books are usually not only a bit pricey, but also not in script format (let alone the wrong page size altogether).

How do you propose screenwriters have access to scripts to read since that is undoubtedly the best way one can learn what works best from page to screen?

Comment

Re: Illegal... Um --that's a pretty strong comment

Dclary says,

"So...stealing from a corporation is better than stealing from an individual? And Do you not also think that since so many people have illegally stolen the script you've made it impossible for them to actually SELL the script through traditional avenues? ****wads."

Note - the above post does not necessarily reflect the views of the poster.

Comment

DClary should learn to read better (posts, if not scripts):

"As screenwriters, we read screenplays for the betterment of our own training, skills & knowledge & under the heading known as "FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES.""

I never said that it is stealing... I don't believe it is.

Comment

You should read the posts again. I said it was stealing.

And using the excuse of "educational purposes" does not negate your responsibility to obey the law. I'm sure you're thinking "oh, this is clearly "fair use"" -- as most intellectual property thiefs do.

The amount of material should be measured both quantitatively and qualitatively. Quantity should be evaluated relative to the length of the entire work and the amount needed. The reproduction of an entire work weighs against fair use. A reproduction that is relatively small but still uses the â€heart†of the work will weigh against fair use.

Reproduction that substitutes for purchase of the original weighs heavily against fair use.

Whether you believe it's stealing or not does not defend you from the responsibility of obeying the law. And the law is clear on this point. Passing scripts willy-nilly across the internet without the copyright owner's permission is against the law.

Comment

Here's A HINT about the business you seek to enter

When a screenwriter writes a great script, guess what happens?

The great script gets passed around the industry by people who do not own the rights to copy said script, they have not purchased it, but it is a standard practice in this industry. Agents, assistants, directors, producers & their minions all making photocopies and reading... something they do not own, something they likely will not buy, A SPEC PROPERTY that only the screenwriter owns at this juncture.

So... with that in mind, I repeat it is not stealing when aspiring screenwriters wish to read the same screenplay, but also ask the same question again, now with the word GREAT plunked in (GREAT, as in superlative examples of specific skills of the craft you seek to attain):

How do you propose screenwriters have access to GREAT scripts to read since that is undoubtedly the best way one can learn what works best from page to screen?

Comment

Re: Here's A HINT about the business you seek to enter

You're talking apples and oranges, Gater.

A) You are not in the industry. You are a wannabe trying to get into the industry.

B) The people IN the industry requesting copies of the script are doing so as part of a business practice that starts with the author giving out the script with express permission to read and copy -- for possible representation, or management, or speculative sale. I don't think I've ever seen a screenwriter send out a script so people can learn from it.

Let me answer your question directly:
                            How do I propose screenwriters have access to GREAT scripts?

Ask the person who owns the copyright for a copy. It's as simple as that. Call his/her agent. Call the studio.

If they say no... Move on to a different script.

That's what's right, what's acceptable under the law.

Comment

A) Oooooooo. Ouch, that sure smarts.

B) Strangely, I feel no unassailable compulsion to correct your misconceptions on a myriad of issues.

C) Hug, hug. Kiss, kiss.

Comment

Working...
                              X