Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystic River Script

So I've had a lot of wine and a couple of tequila shots so some ramblings : I went to see Mystic River before the Academy awards ceremony and I have to say that if a newbie had written some of those scenes on these boards it would have been ripped to shreds. The phone call scene with Sean (Kevin Bacon) and his wife at the end of the movie: So he's got this wife who we don't know anything about , who calls him all the time and can't say anything, oh, and then all of a sudden at the end of the film, she calls (totally unmotivated) and suddenly she can talk to him She does this at a point when everything else is resolved so it's as if it's just put in there to end Sean's story. Nice and neat. But it would have been so much better if maybe she had called him when he was in the midst of a dilemma, just about to solve the murder, and he couldn't deal with it. It could have been used for some drama but, instead, it was unbelievably lame and turned me off the script totally. Just my drunken thoughts. Anybody else have comments about this?>

Cheese to go with that wine? really...

Comment

:hat

Comment

I laughed out loud in the theater when I saw this scene. Just an awful film. Predictable and unoriginal. I agree that if this were from a new writer, they would be laughed off this message board.
        And I must disagree about Tim Robbins. While I like his work and especially like Sean Penn, I think Robbins played some bumbling idiot/retard. No range at all from him in this pic. And while Penn is always good, I hate when the Academy gives awards to actors for career achievments. He has does much better work. Even this year in 21 Grams.

Comment

The industry rave about the Mystic River film has definitely been a little over the top, I have to agree.

It sounds like they want to convince moviegoers to start going to the more terse and small production dramatic pieces more.....they make more money. If they can draw the star power, these can do quite well financially, as Mystic River did. Look at the hubbub they had for "The Hours" "Lost in Translation" and "Monster", among many others of late. Even "Passion" was made for 25M, not a huge sum for what appears as big production. That film quadrupled investment return in less than a week...wow. Four days and Mel has supplied income for generations of his family to infinity.

Currently, except for a very few exceptions of the talent of Depp, Theron, and Bencio, most of our best actors are closer to middle age, and need projects like this where they can showcase more, and take a smaller up front fee in exchange for a back end cut of the profit.

It makes sense, and you can see the trend in number of novel adaptations on the boards for similar projects coming the next two years.

Interesting trend, and worth noting that learning to write deeper characterizations and quality adaptations will probably become very important in a changing industry.

Comment

Working...
          X