No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Diablo Cody article

Originally posted by Geoff Alexander View Post
    What's funny here is that you had nothing to say on the topic but jumped in to argue about intentions and interpretation for seven pages as per your statement above.
    Bro. I jumped in on page 7...

Comment

What's funny here is that you had nothing to say on the topic but jumped in to argue about intentions and interpretation for seven pages as per your statement above.
      Originally posted by Eric Boellner View Post
      My 13 year old pulls this stunt. ...

Me: "It's seven o'clock and you haven't done your homework or studied for your test."

Her: "Actually, it's three minutes to seven."

As if me being slightly incorrect about the time gives her a free pass to ignore the actual point.

Of course it doesn't get her the free pass. Nor should you. Personally, you've lost all credibility for me. OOooh, and by the way, I don't think being identified as a SJW is a compliment.
      Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Boellner View Post
        Ahh, my mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
          If a male stripper sold a script, I could see comments about how he personally benefited from being attractive. But do you think it would spawn a "bias towards attractive male screenwriters" comment? Because of all the gorgeous guys in the Writers Guild?

Even if a former stripper sold a script, he still had to write a fairly descent script. There are thousands of beautiful people in Los Angeles. Why aren't they all selling screenplays left and right?

And again, what is the purpose of bringing up anyone's physical appearance on a forum for screenwriting? Male or female, focusing on a screenwriters attractiveness is a way of dismissing the quality of their work. I don't care how pretty you are, no one is going to spend millions of dollars producing your screenplay because you're cute.
          I'm pretty sure I just explained the reason, re: Diablo Cody, maybe four posts back. Did you not read that?

You said no one would bother to mention if a guy was a stripper when he wrote a script. you're just flat out wrong.

The bias that benefits men is not around attractiveness, actually, it's around the fact that they are men. And, if they are white and from an upper middle class background so much the better.

You are missing on literally every point here.

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
            My 13 year old pulls this stunt. ...
            But I'm the one who's condescending.

Maybe your 13 year old knows there's no point in arguing with you?

Comment

And again, what is the purpose of bringing up anyone's physical appearance on a forum for screenwriting? Male or female, focusing on a screenwriters attractiveness is a way of dismissing the quality of their work. I don't care how pretty you are, no one is going to spend millions of dollars producing your screenplay because you're cute.
              Finally. I am so thrilled to hear someone say this. Hollywood is all about the work.

Discussing external factors has no place here, on a forum for screenwriting. Focusing on a writer's attractiveness, gender, sexuality or race is a way to dismiss the quality of their work. The best script and the best writer always win, and it's a waste of time to discuss any of those other irrelevant factors.

Comment

There are two topics that when discussed on the Internet inevitably produce a lot of shouting, insults, wild digressions, and general ugliness: politics and Diablo Cody.

Comment

Numbers say it doesn't hurt for writers to be gay or Jewish or both.

Not implying anything bad, most of my favorite writers are gay and/or Jewish. It's definitely all about the writing and being the best.

But who decides the quality of the writing and which scripts are best? Decision makers, many of whom are gay and/or Jewish. Might be a teeny tiny bit of cultural social bias there.

Or maybe not, many of the all time greats are gay and Jewish, but then many not so great writers who still make tons of money fall into that category as well. It's good to see an industry where certain minority groups finally get more than their fair share of opportunities to be great.

It's still only about the writing, wink wink. Let's focus on the only thing we can control.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Alexander View Post
                    I'm pretty sure I just explained the reason, re: Diablo Cody, maybe four posts back. Did you not read that?

You said no one would bother to mention if a guy was a stripper when he wrote a script. you're just flat out wrong.

The bias that benefits men is not around attractiveness, actually, it's around the fact that they are men. And, if they are white and from an upper middle class background so much the better.

You are missing on literally every point here.
                    I did not say that if a male stripper sold a script that it would not be mentioned. I said that if a male stripper sold a script, I didn't think it would get the response of "there's a bias towards attractive male screenwriters." And I could be totally wrong about that, but I still don't think it needs to be something we talk about on a screenwriting forum.

And I read your comment on Diablo Cody. I don't disagree with anything you said. Of course, her past as a stripper is part of her screenwriting story. And yes, the media is probably going to bring up her physical attractiveness. But we're not the media.

I 100% agreed with your first comment on this article. It's seemed like exactly the kind of conversation that we should be having in reference to Diablo Cody's career. Then you brought up your thought that female screenwriters tend to be more attractive than male writers and that you thought there was a bias. That is and has been the only part I felt the need to comment on.

Comment

But we can also play this out.

I am not a particularly attractive man. If there is a bias to attractive writers, how should I use this information to alter what I write? Or how I present myself in meetings?

Comment

But we can also play this out.

I am not a particularly attractive man. If there is a bias to attractive writers, how should I use this information to alter what I write? Or how I present myself in meetings?
                        Can you find a job as a stripper? That should push you over the top (if you can write).
                        "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

No sarcasm, honest answer: Geoff said that he sees attractive women and unattractive men be successful. Your say that you're an unattractive man and how can you overcome the bias. The bias he sees isn't against you. So if you're accepting his observation, you're fine.

FWIW, I disagree with Geoff's observation. I see a pretty healthy distribution in looks across genders. But I do think attractive people of both genders have a leg up. in this and every other career and interaction over the history of humanity.

Here's a fun quick watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR3YR1ZTonc

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
                            Watched it. Of course, I know what women say so no surprise about the height preference.

But the last line was best: Life isn't fair.

IMO, it's good to know (and discuss) if a bias (for or against) exists so I can navigate the landmines better.
                            Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

We've talked about the advantages but what about the disadvantages?

Do you feel attractiveness can damage credibility in some cases?

As in what happened when Angelina Jolie announced she wanted to direct, or Mark Wahlberg when he began to produce.

Comment

Working...
                              X