Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "You're not good enough for us. But give us money."

The problem with giving donations on line is that you’re immediately put on mailing lists and are then barraged by more donation requests. And then there are those who donated to Trump who didn’t read the fine print and thus don’t realize that they’re being billed every month. Sometimes to the tune of thousands of dollars. Oh well. A fool and his money are soon parted.

I understand the need to requesting donations. And we’re all hurting due to the pandemic. (Or future legal fees and foreclosures — treason and swindling is costly.) But how and when you ask for money is a delicate dance.

Here’s what NOT to do.

I enter plays in festivals and competitions all over the world. I’ve enjoyed a lot of success but have also received my share of rejections. When 400 people apply for 5 spots, if you don’t expect rejection you’re crazy.

But occasionally I’ll get a standard rejection email that also asks me to donate to that theatre. Now why ON EARTH would I donate to that theatre in that situation? I at least can take comfort that their same great judgement to ask for money when shunning me probably went into evaluating scripts.

I often do donate to theatres that select my plays. Put me on that mailing list.

More...
Working...
X