Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The stages of watching a new show

These are the stages I go through to watch a limited series on cable or a streaming channel. Is this just me or do you follow this basic pattern too?

First off, there are so many shows on so many platforms I just wait for people to recommend a new show. And of course it has to be on a platform that I can get.

Reading subtitles off of TV is too annoying. If it’s a foreign show I need it to be dubbed. This can be problematic, especially if the show is Danish and everyone speaks in a Welsh accent. That said, if the show is good I stick it out.

I sit down and watch the first episode. I realize it’s a first episode and they’re setting things up so I give it a certain amount of space. Better episodes are likely coming. But if I’m bored out of my mind, or find I just don’t like the subject matter, or hate all the characters then it’s one and done.

When the pilot is over I ask myself whether I want to see episode two? In a few rare cases I fall in love with the series right from the get-go and I am all in. But for most I’ll be saying, “Well, it’s kinda interesting,” “It’s sort of funny,” “I like the cast,” or “There’s gratuitous nudity” and decide to watch episode two.

Same question for episode three. Am I getting sucked in? Is it getting better? Is it starting to make sense? Has this comedy made me laugh once?

But generally after episode three comes the BIG decision. Because here is where I either get off the train and stick it out till the end.

And if I’m still in, there’s one more question: It’s 11:30 PM. I’ve got to get up early the next morning. An episode ends. Do I watch one more? If the answer is yes, then THAT’S a series I love. Most series I can cheerfully watch an episode a night, but when I’m totally engrossed I have to burn through it. Those are the shows I tell others about so they can go through the same line of questions.

More...
Working...
X