Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitchfest 2009

Is it worth it for new writer with a sticom pilot? Has anyone gone & if so what has their experience been like?
    Thank you

Re: Pitchfest 2009

it's worth it. face to face contact with producers, managers, and agents. they tell you what they're looking for so you can be selective. there was around 100 industry folks taking pitches last year and you can hit 10, 20 or 30 of them in one day... and then schmooze with them right after.

i suggest you do a whole written proposal for a pilot. and see my suggestions on pitching here:http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=47058

Comment

Thank you for that informative link.

Comment

the great american pitchfest - here's the current list of participating companies. last year they had over 100 reps attend. but anyhoo - if you hit on their link they tell you what they want and some how they want you to pitch as well.
        http://www.pitchfest.com/gapf/partic...ompanies.shtml

Comment

I
          Should
          Be
          Released

Comment

This type of venue is definately worth attending if there are the proper ears to listen in attendance. If nothing, but to only watch and see what and does not work. Somepeople will show up and nail stuff--and this is the kind of act you want to emulate. If you do decide to go, I would do so prepared with two or three good ideas, and pitch-pieces to go along.

There are some vids, etc. on this subject and before hand I would bone up, develop your pitch as best as you can, and then give it a shot. To develop your pitch--do it in front of a video recorder, and then watch yourself... which can be one of the most painfuly things you can do in your entire life.

My opinion of pitching is that it is great--if you have sold. If sold, they will listen and sincerely consider your dog-and-pony show. This is because they know you can execute what you have pitched (because of your sale), and cutting you a check for this assignment (if that's the case) would be a low risk move.

But however, if you have never, ever completed a screenplay, pitching is a waste of time. The absolute most that you would get out of this is that they buy the story (assuming you got a pitch-piece). Yeah--it's happened that they do let some guys go to screenplay--but this is as rare as finding a 30 year old actress in Hollywood (who is a virgin) and who is as hot as Charliese Theron. lol

If you have a completed screenplay--go and work up a pitch-piece, and go to this seminar. Pitch the thing. Perhaps you can convert this to a sale, representation--whatever. If they they like it, they will always ask, "where are you at with this now?" And your reply should be, "I've already written it... would you like me to email it to you?"

Then they'll think you are as serious as a heart attack.

Anyways, even if you haven't executed a screenplay--you should go to one of these just to see what it is like, to get in some practice and to network and be seen. Visibility is a good thing.

You will get a good idea of what works and what doesn't.
            It will put you ahead on the curve.

And FYI, I think I suck at pitching, and I hate it.
            I've nailed some--and blown some up.
            You may see me at one of these things just to get a fresh perspective on the whole process.

T
            Last edited by Takezo; 05-17-2009, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Thank you all. I have registered to the Pitchfest.

Comment

has anybody ever taken a "private consultation" at this pitchfest? was it worth the $75? i know you can't really answer b/c i can only assume that some people will be much more helpful and advantageous than others. but i'm asking just the same.

Comment

My first time going to an event like this. Actually, my partner & I are going to pitch together. Get the lay of the land if you will.

But also would be interested in hearing if anyone has used the consultations.

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
                  has anybody ever taken a "private consultation" at this pitchfest? was it worth the $75? i know you can't really answer b/c i can only assume that some people will be much more helpful and advantageous than others. but i'm asking just the same.

Comment

Anyone else going to this event next week?

Comment

I went to the Expo last November which is a pretty similar experience, as well as Final Draft's pitch fest because it was here in NYC

I would do it once or twice. If you have never been to LA networking, it's a great chance to press palms and have fun with like minded people. If you are a withdrawn or awkward person (guilty x2) it's important to get in there and sharpen your pitching technique, and there's only one way to get better at it - and that's by doing it and doing it more.
                      Would I go back? I doubt it. I would be interested in hearing of one sale, so much as a minimum WGA payout, coming from one of these events, and then I would make another appointment. Until then, I'm saving up that weeks pay (and 2 days vacation)for that magic day when the producer wants me to fly out and bring an attorney...
                      What I have crossed out, I didn't like. What I haven't crossed out, I am dissatisfied with.
                      (Cecil B. DeMille's notes to an unknown screenwriter)

Comment

Anyone else going to this event next week?
                        i went last year and had some good results. pitched to about 22 people and got 9 requests for one script, 1 request for another script, and 1 request for that 2nd script 9 months later... yes, 9 months later! so they still had my "one sheet". make sure you prepare a one sheet to give them.

so i'm going again this year armed and prepared with more material. there really was over 100 industry folks to pitch to. i don't know if they can get those numbers in NYC.

anyhoo, i'll see you there!

Comment

Pretty good results indeed. Were the pitches for features? TV?

My partner & I also have a one sheet put together, we are excited to get in there & pitch it.

Is the luncheon worth it or the cocktail party? If you went that is.

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
                          i went last year and had some good results. pitched to about 22 people and got 9 requests for one script, 1 request for another script, and 1 request for that 2nd script 9 months later... yes, 9 months later! so they still had my "one sheet". make sure you prepare a one sheet to give them.

so i'm going again this year armed and prepared with more material. there really was over 100 industry folks to pitch to. i don't know if they can get those numbers in NYC.

anyhoo, i'll see you there!

Comment

i didn't do the luncheon - $75!!! but people who emerged from it seemed to have a good time. so if money is not an issue then go ahead
                            but...
                            the cocktail party is free (cept you pay for the drinks) AND many of the industry folks stick around for it so you're free to approach them and keep on networking.

i pitched 1 feature but had 1 backup ready that i used twice. but this year i'm armed with a pilot and proposal for a 1 hr tv dramedy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario_C View Post
                              Would I go back? I doubt it. I would be interested in hearing of one sale, so much as a minimum WGA payout, coming from one of these events, and then I would make another appointment.
                              I guess you need to make your appointment -- I optioned a script to Lynda Obst/Paramount in 2001 via a pitchfest.

Last year at the Santa Fe one, I pitched eight times and got ten requests (I sometimes pitched two at a time.) Even when a sale doesn't come of it, if they like the writing it can put your name on their radar.

It's also a great place to meet reps -- I had a nice chat with Mike Esola, a very successful agent at William Morris. Turns out he's a midwestern boy like me!

Comment

Working...
                              X