Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paying For Coverage - Eating A Little Crow

I have a new spec I'm getting ready to take out, and since I'm always spouting off about paying for reads, I figured I'd try it. Seemed like the fair thing to do. (I did a similar experiment with a treatment a couple of years ago, but never with a script.)

I picked a couple of people who are recommended here, put a fake name on the script, and sent it off with my money.

My basic view hasn't changed - I think critiquing and being critiqued are both important to do continually, which is why one should really work on developing a circle of writers. I also worry about running into someone who just doesn't click with a certain story sending a writer in the wrong direction.

But that said, both people did a great job. One of them is too busy and asked that I not plug them right at this moment, but the other one has said I can talk about it: EvilRbt (ScreenplayMechanic.com).

One of the reasons I wanted to try him out is that his basic service seems fair - he charges writers about what studios pay for coverage. If you're curious to see how a pro reader breaks down your story and what he thinks of your execution, and whether he'd pass it along at the companies he works for, this is a reasonable way to do it.

And I'll say his notes were right on, and the things he pointed out were things that my reps mentioned when they read it.

And beyond that... although he clearly isn't one of those "pay me and I'll send your script to producers!" guys (and doesn't advertise himself as such), he went above and beyond and offered marketing ideas.

EvilRbt, if you want to add anything I missed, that'd be great - but the only thing I ask is that you not reveal any details of the script before it goes out.

Re: Paying For Coverage - Eating A Little Crow

I don't feel like I need to add anything other than I really enjoyed this script and I can't wait to see what happens with it.

Thanks for the kind words, Jeff, and best of luck.
    NOTES / COVERAGE
    15,000+ Screenplays
    [email protected]

Comment

Very interesting exercise Jeff and I applaud you for setting up this experiment.

I guess we can assume the other is Bart

Jeff, was this "coverage" or "development notes" that were purchased?

EJ

Comment

The other wasn't Bart - nothing against him, it just wasn't.

I went for the coverage, but as I pointed out, the development notes in it lined up nicely with my reps'.

Comment

Jeff - thank you for sharing this experience. I've been making liberal use of EvilRbt with a few things I'm working on. It just felt like he had a real grasp of story and characters and what's working - and what's not.

It's great to hear my impressions confirmed by a working writer.

Comment

Well, Tony, my 1% ratio of being right on this board is going up.

Comment

The other had to be scriptshadow...regardless if I'm right, I think it is cool that you did this...Ty
              The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost

Comment

Originally posted by JoeNYC
                Well, Tony, my 1% ratio of being right on this board is going up.
                Sigh.

I never said you were wrong 99% of the time. I said I disagreed with 99% of what you post. That doesn't mean I'm right and you're wrong or you're right and I'm wrong.

It means that when I read most of your posts, I find myself disagreeing with them. Which in turn means that my approach to various things is different from yours.

And that's all it means.

Taotropics and Deus Ex Machine used to disagree all the time. Who was right and who was wrong? Neither was either. (They both have careers we would kill for.)

That said, just because you agree with Jeff's change of heart doesn't mean you're right. It means you agree with Jeff's change of heart.

Let's put it another way:

You believe in paying for feedback. Joe9alt doesn't. And Terry Rossio doesn't believe in relying on ANY kind of feedback (paid for or not).

That doesn't mean that you're right, Joe9alt is wrong, and Terry Rossio is REALLY wrong.

It also doesn't mean that you're wrong, Joe9alt is right, and Terry Rossio is REALLY right.

It just means that you believe in paying for feedback, Joe9alt doesn't, and Terry Rossio doesn't believe in relying on any kind of feedback.
                Ralphy's Fvcking Blog

"
                Ever notice how 'monogamy' rhymes with 'monotony'?" -- Christian Troy

Comment

Thanks for this, Jeff.

P.S. I don't disagree with anyone because I'm always right.
                  Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!

Comment

Originally posted by umo View Post
                    P.S. I don't disagree with anyone because I'm always right.
                    I disagree with this statement.

Sorry, but somebody had to say it.
                    "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
                    ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by Ravenlocks View Post
                      I disagree with this statement.

Sorry, but somebody had to say it.
                      Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!

Comment

Hey, Tony, I understand about differences of opinion. I don't need a classroom lecture on it.

You know exactly why I'm needling you. I'm fuming. Eventually I'll get over it, but don't ever expect me to forget how you got personal with me.

"Honestly, Joe, I think I've disagreed with 99% of what you've written on this board since you started posting. Not only about screenwriting but also about board-related issues."

This was a sh1tty thing to announce publicly on one of the most popular screenwriting sites on the Internet where my peers and working professionals in the Industry hang out.

Thanks, pal.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeNYC View Post
                          Hey, Tony, I understand about differences of opinion. I don't need a classroom lecture on it.

You know exactly why I'm needling you. I'm fuming. Eventually I'll get over it, but don't ever expect me to forget how you got personal with me.

"Honestly, Joe, I think I've disagreed with 99% of what you've written on this board since you started posting. Not only about screenwriting but also about board-related issues."

This was a sh1tty thing to announce publicly on one of the most popular screenwriting sites on the Internet where my peers and working professionals in the Industry hang out.

Thanks, pal.
                          Chill out, dude.

This really doesn't seem like something to go apeshit over. He basically just said that he disagrees with most of the **** posted under the username JoeNYC, if that puts it in a less personal context. Didn't seem like he was saying the person behind the posts has nothing worthwhile to offer.

That's how I read it if you're wondering how some of your peers view your "debacle."

PS - For the record, I disagree with 68.32908394722 % of what is posted on the DoneDealPro forums under the username "JoeNYC."

PPS - EJ, how'dya like my usage of "apeshit?"

Comment

Jeff, that was cool not only that you did that experiment (I remember a bunch of your colleagues over at Artful Writer talking about doing this last year, and I remember thinking that was a great idea), but that you were surprised with the results, and started a thread stating that.

Of course, it would have been MUCH MORE FUN if the coverage came back with "You know nothing, and you had better learn to follow the screenwriting rules if you ever want to earn a penny"...

Guess I'll have to find my entertainment elsewhere.

Comment

You're right, Joe. That was sh tty. Mea culpa.

For whatever it's worth, you made a post a few weeks ago that had me nodding my head and thinking, "Right on, Joe."

I don't remember what it was about now. But I do remember my reaction.

And I've said before that I think you contribute a lot to this site. If you need me to say it again, I'll say it again: You contribute a lot to this site.

Also, I think you're giving my opinion WAY too much weight. I doubt there's a pro left on this board who gives a flying f ck what I say about anything. I'm far too volatile to pay any attention to. If I were someone else, and I saw Tony R littering the board with his self-indulgent, vomit-whatever-he's-thinking-at-the-time posting habits, I would immediately make a mental note to ignore him in the future.

And so it goes...
                              Ralphy's Fvcking Blog

"
                              Ever notice how 'monogamy' rhymes with 'monotony'?" -- Christian Troy

Comment

Working...
                              X